Any good JBOD boxes with 12 bays that are USB 3? And are not sans Digital crap?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
No Raid necessary. Just JBOD and Ill use a software solution for combining them into one big drive.

I haven't seen anything bigger than a 8 bay. And those were sans digital. Good luck with your search

3 PCI cards with 4 SATA connectors. 1 meter long SATA cables to each drive. ATX supply with a manual power switch on the 24 pin connectors.

Is it ghetto? Yes. Does it work flawlessly? Yes.

Every multi disk usb3 enclosure I have seen has been flaky, but I’m keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone has had a different experience.

Every multi disk usb3 enclosure I have seen has been flaky, but I’m keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone has had a different experience.
And most are Sans Digital. And I hear they are crappy. I may not get what I want. Might have to change my strategy..

With this many drives, I personally went esata--faster and more native. Ironically, it was a sans digital that came with its own hba that supports port multiplying and works flawlessly. I use this setup all the time with a parted magic boot disk to check drives in bulk.

With this many drives, I personally went esata--faster and more native. Ironically, it was a sans digital that came with its own hba that supports port multiplying and works flawlessly. I use this setup all the time with a parted magic boot disk to check drives in bulk.
Which External did you get? And can I use an adapter to convert my SATA to Esata?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Maybe Node 304 (if you use 2.5"" drives, you can easily stack 4 drives per dock). Comes with 2x usb 3 on the front!

Which External did you get? And can I use an adapter to convert my SATA to Esata?
I have an older one, but it's like this one and came with the esata card that works for the port multiplier: https://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid-tr8mnc.html

You can easily use some sata to esata brackets to convert internal sata to esata (far better than adding a usb3 card for storage imo), but esata docks are much more rare than their usb cousins, and this particular tower needs a good working port multiplier or you just end up with one drive on each channel (tried it). But the good thing is that it supports anything sata--I actually used a parted magic live cd and ran simultaneous smart long test on 6x 16TB Exos at once--saved A LOT of time.

probably best to get an LSI style SAS card with IT mode and external SAS connector, SAS cable, a SAS expander, SAS to SATA breakout cables, and a PCIe riser that uses Molex power and a case that can hold 12 drives

You'd be building something like this,
https://www.amazon.com/bay-Expander-Tower-JBOD-Enclosure/dp/B07G1C2NNG
Or you buy the controller and then pick up something like a Dell MDxxxx for cheap. :D (There's a guy in ATL with 4x of them right now that's ready to sell them CHEAP, but I can't get there since one of my brake pads fell out of the rear the other day. :eek: Car has been needing some tlc for years now so it's time to shift gears to car stuff again.)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You know what? Those 'UNAS' cases would probably be really really good for this (although I'd stay far away from anything else from them): https://www.u-nas.com/index.html
so, suddenly you need to spend thousands of dollars on a preassebled nas? Whats the point, when the goal is jbod??

I mean you canbuy a big tower case that will s\do the samey

Last edited:
Back