Any GIMP experts here?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Trying to figure out how the crop tool works. Well, it doesn't. Seems stupid as shit to me that when you make a selection and the go to crop the crop to selection command is grayed out. Even tho the selection was made using the selection tool.

Help describes the tool exactly like you'd think it would work but it doesn't. Yea, GIMP is full of stupid shittedness like this. I'm trying to learn the program but it isn't easy. Help is totally useless. :mad:

There’s a great resource for gimp and many types of design software. It’s called the internet.

Jokes aside YouTube is how I learned Gimp.

OK guys, I did and found nothing except the official instructions which, like I said don't work. Guess I'll go back to PS. :(

I just quickly searched YouTube for gimp crop tool how to, and found pages and pages of tutorials. The info is there.

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMP_Quickies/

Basically, I think the issue is your selection hasn't been "finalized"/applied to the layer yet. I was pretty confused the first time I tried cropping an image, too. After you figure it out it's pretty straight forward, though.

Reactions: Axman
like this
iirc, you can also finalize it by clicking outside the selection area, but I might be thinking of another tool.

You're working on a layer or element that can't be cropped.

An extreme workaround would be to select Image > Flatten Image and then you can make your selection and crop to it.

You're working on a layer or element that can't be cropped.

An extreme workaround would be to select Image > Flatten Image and then you can make your selection and crop to it.
Most likely he can duplicate the layer as an image and then crop it.

I just use Shotwell Photo Viewer to crop and do basic stuff to a photo. I have to at some point DL Gimp and try and learn it, been using PS forever.

Just installed and looked at Shotwell then removed it. I prefer to navigate to my photos and apparently Shotwell thinks I don't need to do that.

Gimp is definitely harder to use than photoshop but once you learn a few things, it can get work done. It's a bit like blender, seems nightmare at first but when you learn the keyboard shortcuts, it's actually faster to use.

Gimp is definitely harder to use than photoshop but once you learn a few things, it can get work done. It's a bit like blender, seems nightmare at first but when you learn the keyboard shortcuts, it's actually faster to use.
Wrong. It's not like that at all. Gimp is far inferior to Photoshop in myh experience.

Wrong. It's not like that at all. Gimp is far inferior to Photoshop in myh experience.

Gimp has most of the features of Photoshop plus a bunch of legacy features that Photoshop no longer has, with the ability to add features with plugins, without the updated Photoshop interface. While some of the more recent Gimp updates haven't been terribly popular, it's miles ahead of Adobe when it comes to user experience, and most people who don't like Gimp, as far as I can tell, are newer Photoshop users who never used old Photoshop.

Since you can no longer buy Photoshop it's no longer an option as far as I'm concerned. It may take awhile but I'll learn to love GIMP.

Also try Krita, or Paint.NET for more basic stuff. As a 20+ year professional Photoshop user, I just always feel gimped when I try to use GIMP. If you like it though, good for you...

Installed Krita. The Crop tool is called Crop Tool but crop is called trim. :confused:

It does the exact same thing GIMP does. Use the crop tool then trim to selection is grayed out.

I accidentally figured out how to get it to crop (trim). Once you've made the selection just hit the enter key. Done.

Works the same in GIMP.

Krita looks interesting. Gonna play around with it more. I'll keep them both. :)

Installed Krita. The Crop tool is called Crop Tool but crop is called trim. :confused:

It does the exact same thing GIMP does. Use the crop tool then trim to selection is grayed out.

I accidentally figured out how to get it to crop (trim). Once you've made the selection just hit the enter key. Done.

Works the same in GIMP.

Krita looks interesting. Gonna play around with it more. I'll keep them both. :)
you can probably double click inside the cropped area and it will crop

In Krita, there is a Tool Options panel, when using the Crop tool there is a "Crop" button that will also finalize the crop. Or, as you've found, just hit enter.

As for selection, if you have made a box selection, then click on the Crop tool, the crop tool will use the selection as the starting point. So, if you wanna be quick about it using the selection tool, first make a selection, then hit "C", then "Enter", and it'll be cropped/trimmed (yea, I agree kinda weird it's named the same)

Of course, like with any software, there are hotkeys to learn or customize if you really wish. You've probably figured it out by now though :]

Yea, it takes time. I tend to get angry when I see something that that makes no sense / is counter intuitive. When I made the selection and saw that "crop to selection" was grayed out I went WTF :confused:

Back