Antec 302 question

Smoblikat

Limp Gawd
Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows if an ethernet cable head will fit through the rectangle openings at the top of the case, assuming the fan controller/bracket thingy is removed?
302-fancontrol.jpg

I would check on my case, but I completely painted it and those things are stuck in place, so I really dont want to disturb them if it wont fit anyway.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

cant find schematics. easiest way to tell would be to hold up a head to it and compare.

cant find schematics. easiest way to tell would be to hold up a head to it and compare.

I got a head to stick in slightly, but it definitely wont go all the way through. That black plastic clip thing comes off, im not sure how much extra clearence it would give me if I did take it out, just a little more height should allow the connector to fit. Its close enough that I would definitely give it a shot on my case, if it werent painted over.

taking the clip out will give you another mm or 2. if/when you decide to try, run a razor around the edge of the clip and it shouldnt harm the paint.

Well, if all else fails, get some bare cat5/cat6 cable, then put an end on each end after running it through the hole.

Good idea, this was my plan all along until I noticed just how close the fitment is on those 2 ports. Ideally I would like to mount a keystone on the inside of the case, and be able to connect/reconnect the ethernet cable on the outside, that way I dont have any unsightly "warts" sticking out of the case :p

I do have a second Antec 302 in my storage unit, but I just checked and I painted over those 2 spots too, so no quick removal there :/

I might try the razor blade around the edge, and see if I can get one of these out "gently". Does anyone know specifically how these would come out? I dont want to break them as I would like to be able to re-install it if I ever decide I dont need this ethernet port, it looks like I would just squish the top and bottom together and push it out the backside, but with how stuck theyre going to be I wont really know the correct method of removal until I either snap it or get it out in 1 piece.

Also, I will send $10 paypal to anyone with an Antec 302 who would be willing to take one of those out and see if an ethernet head fits, and to describe the method of removal.

there should just be a clip on top/bottom on the inside, pinch and push(i assume).

I have an Antec P280 that has similar fan switches in that location and a Cat5e connector definitely in no way will fit. Even just the cable itself will be a very tight fit, and it may get stuck and/or damaged even trying to pull it through. The flat type Cat5e/Cat6 cables may work if you can chop and re-crimp the end, but that process is a nightmare even on normal pre-crimped cables. They usually use cheap spaghetti wire with crap insulation and crap conductors, sometimes even stranded wire. I'd think the flat flex kind might be moulded plastic, in which case, re-crimping may be impossible.

Another option would be to get a slot cover and drill a hole in it for a Cat5e/Cat6 cable to pass through and crimp the end on.

I have an Antec P280 that has similar fan switches in that location and a Cat5e connector definitely in no way will fit. Even just the cable itself will be a very tight fit, and it may get stuck and/or damaged even trying to pull it through. The flat type Cat5e/Cat6 cables may work if you can chop and re-crimp the end, but that process is a nightmare even on normal pre-crimped cables. They usually use cheap spaghetti wire with crap insulation and crap conductors, sometimes even stranded wire. I'd think the flat flex kind might be moulded plastic, in which case, re-crimping may be impossible.

Another option would be to get a slot cover and drill a hole in it for a Cat5e/Cat6 cable to pass through and crimp the end on.

Thanks for the info, I may just have to bite the bullet and crimp a keystone/RJ45 to the outside of the case, luckily I have some time before my parts arrive to psych myself up, I might end up doubling down on insanity and cut a bigger hole in it. The main issue is the paint isnt a "flat" color, so its not like I can just touch it up after, or at least not in a way that I wouldnt immediately be disappointed in.

PXL_20201229_210411995.jpg

This whole thing is so I can get PiKVM running on this box without any external wiring, so this port would be used to connect the Pi to the external network

dude come on, its the back of the case, the paint is literally just tossed on it and you can see where shit was stuck to it all over. how often are you looking at the back of the case?! youre missing a pci cover AND the slidey door thing so im guessing not often...
im also still doubting that a cat5 head wont fit if you take the switch housing out...

dude come on, its the back of the case, the paint is literally just tossed on it and you can see where shit was stuck to it all over. how often are you looking at the back of the case?! youre missing a pci cover AND the slidey door thing so im guessing not often...
im also still doubting that a cat5 head wont fit if you take the switch housing out...

I think thats a good looking case, I spent a decent amount of time on the paint and I can confirm it wasnt "tossed" on, nor has anything been stuck to it. The back of the case is also the part that is seen the most, as this is a reverse airflow setup and I dont like having a bunch of hot air blasted at me, plus without the slidey thingy, I can remove the GPUs easier and it acts as an intake port. Those PCI slots are open because at the time of this pic, my 980ti wasnt ready to go in.

I do have to remove the switch housing thing anyway, so ill see if I can squeeze a head through then or not, otherwise ill probobly just cut it wider.

I think thats a good looking case, I spent a decent amount of time on the paint and I can confirm it wasnt "tossed" on, nor has anything been stuck to it. The back of the case is also the part that is seen the most, as this is a reverse airflow setup and I dont like having a bunch of hot air blasted at me, plus without the slidey thingy, I can remove the GPUs easier and it acts as an intake port. Those PCI slots are open because at the time of this pic, my 980ti wasnt ready to go in.

I do have to remove the switch housing thing anyway, so ill see if I can squeeze a head through then or not, otherwise ill probobly just cut it wider.
lol ok... you can see all the splashes all over the place in the back ground, you tossed it on and you can see where is raised because you got something stuck in it. this isnt a professionally painted or powered coated case, get [H] and mod it if you have to.

1624572465261.png
1624572594752.png

lol ok... you can see all the splashes all over the place in the back ground, you tossed it on and you can see where is raised because you got something stuck in it. this isnt a professionally painted or powered coated case, get [H] and mod it if you have to.

View attachment 369014 View attachment 369016

Gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8/8

1*34cHzOUSc_WBObpFggEhog.png

Especially the part about you knowing that somthing was stuck to it, as if you were right there painting it with me. We should hang out some time and paint, you seem fun!

Thanks for the info, I may just have to bite the bullet and crimp a keystone/RJ45 to the outside of the case, luckily I have some time before my parts arrive to psych myself up, I might end up doubling down on insanity and cut a bigger hole in it. The main issue is the paint isnt a "flat" color, so its not like I can just touch it up after, or at least not in a way that I wouldnt immediately be disappointed in.

View attachment 368985

This whole thing is so I can get PiKVM running on this box without any external wiring, so this port would be used to connect the Pi to the external network
That's wicked cool!

Can you not use something like this?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/42...zLX_UHvYYfG_fy5cWRaR0wevcQ8JYMjkaAmk4EALw_wcB

Maybe put masking tape down first, drill/cut the hole, and then remove the tape?

If you do have to do some modding, and don't want to disturb the painted over clips, I'd probably suggest one of the spots here where there is already some paint chipping off. Use some tin snips to remove the corssbars, then file gently for a smooth edge. This should allow you a ;arge enoguh point of entry to pass the cat5/6 cable through and put ends on, if you don't widen it enough to get the plug through entirely.

Attachments

• paint chips.png
    paint chips.png
    274.7 KB · Views: 0
If you do have to do some modding, and don't want to disturb the painted over clips, I'd probably suggest one of the spots here where there is already some paint chipping off. Use some tin snips to remove the corssbars, then file gently for a smooth edge. This should allow you a ;arge enoguh point of entry to pass the cat5/6 cable through and put ends on, if you don't widen it enough to get the plug through entirely.

Thats a really good idea, I might do that instead as it would be much easier to mount a keystone there anyway. Ill have to see how I feel once I get all the stuff together.

Back