Another couple of RAndoM RAM Question - Understanding Mem Slots w/ Vermeer (Zen3) chips

DarkSideA8

Gawd
Vermeer MemCont.jpg

1. This chart, cribbed from (https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/cores/vermeer) shows that with 2 DIMMs the MCs are 'comfortable' running at 3200 MDR (MT/s). Am I correct in presuming - if this chart is correct - that running a pair of PC 3200 RAM modules at 3200 would not count as "Overclocking" w/r/t voiding any warranty? *
- note: I've not yet installed my new CPU, and am presuming that initial post will be at 2133 and that XMP must be set to push PC 3200 RAM to 3200
* (From the wiki: "Higher frequencies are possible using memory rated for speeds outside the DDR4 standard, however damages caused by overclocking are not covered under warranty." )
Edit: that's another good question: what memory timings is Zen3 showing 'out of the box'?

2. Is that also why this chart from Gigabyte (Memory Support List) only goes up to PC 3200? https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x470-aorus-ultra-gaming_vermeer_210407.pdf

3. Finally: in this article, https://www.techspot.com/article/2140-ryzen-5000-memory-performance/#allcomments, the '8 game average' in CPU bound situations showed that OCing the memory to 3800 only showed a 4% improvement in the 1% lows...
"In more CPU limited gaming scenarios, a manually tuned DDR4-3800 configuration will net you some 7% more performance when compared to a stock memory kit, like the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB, for example. When compared to our review setup, we’re looking at just a 3% boost on average." (They had their best results running at tuned 3800, but the 'real world performance' doesn't look worth a whole heck of a lot more than 3200 at the cost of breaking warranty)

So - is there any reason at this point to even try to push speeds past 3200 (to 3800) on a Ryzen 5 5600x?

View attachment 366537

1. This chart, cribbed from (https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/cores/vermeer) shows that with 2 DIMMs the MCs are 'comfortable' running at 3200 MDR (MT/s). Am I correct in presuming - if this chart is correct - that running a pair of PC 3200 RAM modules at 3200 would not count as "Overclocking" w/r/t voiding any warranty? *
- note: I've not yet installed my new CPU, and am presuming that initial post will be at 2133 and that XMP must be set to push PC 3200 RAM to 3200
* (From the wiki: "Higher frequencies are possible using memory rated for speeds outside the DDR4 standard, however damages caused by overclocking are not covered under warranty." )
Edit: that's another good question: what memory timings is Zen3 showing 'out of the box'?

2. Is that also why this chart from Gigabyte (Memory Support List) only goes up to PC 3200? https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x470-aorus-ultra-gaming_vermeer_210407.pdf

3. Finally: in this article, https://www.techspot.com/article/2140-ryzen-5000-memory-performance/#allcomments, the '8 game average' in CPU bound situations showed that OCing the memory to 3800 only showed a 4% improvement in the 1% lows...
"In more CPU limited gaming scenarios, a manually tuned DDR4-3800 configuration will net you some 7% more performance when compared to a stock memory kit, like the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB, for example. When compared to our review setup, we’re looking at just a 3% boost on average." (They had their best results running at tuned 3800, but the 'real world performance' doesn't look worth a whole heck of a lot more than 3200 at the cost of breaking warranty)

So - is there any reason at this point to even try to push speeds past 3200 (to 3800) on a Ryzen 5 5600x?
Yes you are correct in that 2 sticks of ram can be run at 3200mhz and not void the warranty on your cpu.

I would say that dual rank mem sticks at 3600mhz is the sweet spot for ryzen 5000 performance, anything after 3600mhz isn’t guaranteed to work with infinity fabric and may require tuning the mem timings or upping voltage to work. Personally I have dual rank 3800mhz ram and love them but I paid a pretty penny for them for like 2% gain over 3600

You aren't going to damage anything just by cranking up the clocks a bit. Where people get into trouble, I think, is when they start raising voltages to try to achieve stability at the higher clocks. Push voltages too far and you can damage the memory controller or possibly other bits inside the CPU package, and then you can be in warranty trouble.

Let er rip mang
Lucky bastard.
Does AddrCmdSetup 56 allow you to reach 1T? or is it just a casualty for that last bit of frequency. I didn't needed it for my 3200c14 sticks but it was impossible to run 4x4400c19 Patriot Viper with A2 PCB at 1T without it.
How much VDIMM did that take? my 3200c14 sticks all seem to see negative scaling for tRCD at ~1.5v
Would love to see Farcry XMP vs that!

Copy and write speeds are really low compared to read speed. I’m guessing your e running 1/2 uclock?

Lucky bastard.
Does AddrCmdSetup 56 allow you to reach 1T? or is it just a casualty for that last bit of frequency. I didn't needed it for my 3200c14 sticks but it was impossible to run 4x4400c19 Patriot Viper with A2 PCB at 1T without it.
How much VDIMM did that take? my 3200c14 sticks all seem to see negative scaling for tRCD at ~1.5v
Would love to see Farcry XMP vs that!
Thanks man! Anything over 2000 is just for show with that CPU. I didnt try 1T with C15, always gives me problems.. I was giving it 1.55v. It will do flat 16s at that speed with `1.5v. Not sure on stability though because fclk is so high.

Copy and write speeds are really low compared to read speed. I’m guessing your e running 1/2 uclock?
Its a single CCD chip, but was running 1:1

Its actually very good for what it is. I have submitted a couple of entries to the bot, so it was stable enough to bench on for an hour or so. But can do better at slower speeds for bot stuff..

Edit:

You are probably used to seeing something like this:

Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks man! Anything over 2000 is just for show with that CPU. I didnt try 1T with C15, always gives me problems.. I was giving it 1.55v. It will do flat 16s at that speed with `1.5v. Not sure on stability though because fclk is so high.

Its a single CCD chip, but was running 1:1

Its actually very good for what it is. I have submitted a couple of entries to the bot, so it was stable enough to bench on for an hour or so. But can do better at slower speeds for bot stuff..

Edit:

You are probably used to seeing something like this:

View attachment 373789
Wow that’s almost my exact score haha. Yes I didn’t know one ccd cuts write speeds in half

i really need to post my scores see how much perf im leaving on table with current setup. looks like i need to do some tweaking.

Attachments

• ZenTimings_Screenshot_27103297.63495.png
    ZenTimings_Screenshot_27103297.63495.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
yeah they were cheapish only cost me about $740

Attachments

• 1618101209260.png
    1618101209260.png
    799.1 KB · Views: 0
Back