Android's Battery Saver: Overlooked It Deactivating "Hey Google"

Supersnake

[H]ard|Gawd
I never utilized the Android Battery Saver option until today and didn't realize that it turns off the "Hey Google" feature.

Earlier today I was running low on remaining battery and when it got down to 2 - 3% my phone offered the option to turn on Battery Saver. I ticked the offering and didn't think about it any further.

I later recharged the battery, unplugged it from my charger and went about my business. Later on I had a question for the Google Assistant so I started off with "Okay Google" and "Hey Google" but it drew no response. Thinking there was some glitch I went through the steps of ensuring Voice Match was turned on and then retrained the Assistant to recognize my voice. But after doing that my phone still would not respond to OK Google.

It was only when I noticed that the battery icon in the status bar was colored red did I realize that Battery Saver was still on. Should I ever find myself using it again, I won't overlook the need to manually turn it off after recharging.

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
Mic is always active and listening in normal battery mode.

Makes sense. Does it also disable the squeeze gesture? Think it still worked on my 2 XL with battery saver on. Fortunately I don't see myself using battery saver mode on my Pixel 5 anytime soon with 8ish hours of SoT per charge.

Turned off the squeeze function the day I purchased the phone. However, in the interest of science I toggled it on for the test :)

Battery Saver on disables the squeeze feature.
Battery Saver off enables it.
Pixel 4 XL / Android 11

Last edited:
Back