Android One?

Domingo

Fully [H]
https://www.android.com/one/

Anyone have any insights on whether we'll see any flagship-level phones as part of this program?
It seems like a push to get stock Android on devices, but they're all entry-level (and mostly non-US) phones so far.
I love the idea, but it's not much help at the moment.

Isn't the "One" marketing to lower hardware phones for developing markets? I'm sure if you could find one it would work on most US GSM carriers.

Isn't the "One" marketing to lower hardware phones for developing markets? I'm sure if you could find one it would work on most US GSM carriers.

It's weird because the articles about it more or less say as much. Yet Google's own site makes it sound like they're pushing devices with stock Android and it's advantages. That's really what I care about.

Yeah, for whatever reason, the One line seems to be exclusive to emerging markets overseas. Not sure I've ever heard of them making any phones for the US as part of that program, which is unfortunate because I'm sure there's a market out there for techies that want to stay current but don't want to drop $600+ on a Pixel phone. Buying the previous gen Pixel/Nexus isn't a good alternative either IMO, as then you're just getting last year's hardware still and will only have one year before your phone is EOL in terms of OS updates (not security updates).

The next best thing for now is probably a Moto G5/G5 Plus or one of the newer Nokia phones, as they run stockish Android and seem somewhat committed to staying updated relatively quickly.

Back