Analogue Pocket

Sickb0y

2[H]4U
Anybody into retro gaming and has pre-purchase or have plan to purchase Analogue pocket? I pre order mine a few days ago (ETA Q4 2022 batch white version) I'll be honest it was an impulse buy :p I was too young for the Gameboy era but I'm intrigue to play some Game Gear, Gameboy advance games on it even though I have one of those Chinese Gameboy clones that feels a bit cheap an random issues with some roms. I'm planning I'm using an everdrive-GBA X5 mini/EverDrive-GG X7 since old game gear and Gameboy games are getting out of hand regarding pricing.

What in the heck. Who would buy one of these?
Well, it is a really nice looking piece of hardware, with excellent battery life, that supports a wide variety of classic games. If you already have a collection and your gbc is showing it's age, I guess it might be a bit tempting.

The other Analogue consoles were "jailbroken" to play off of SD and even other console's games if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I looked at any of them. (I went MiSTer) So I would be willing to bet that at some point this will be possible. Otherwise, just grabbing an SD flash cart would work fine.

The other Analogue consoles were "jailbroken" to play off of SD and even other console's games if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I looked at any of them. (I went MiSTer) So I would be willing to bet that at some point this will be possible. Otherwise, just grabbing an SD flash cart would work fine.
They did I own the Mega SG you can load roms with the custom firmware. I ended going back to stock firmware since I already own a everdrive x7

anothony was playing roms, i assume, off of one of those microsd everdrive gba carts.

I've pre ordered this and mine won't come until Q4 either.

It has a large high resolution screen, fpga, video output and Bluetooth controller connectivity with the dock and it's newer than my old modded GBA and GBA SP AGS 101.

It isn't for most people since there are so many ways to play old games for much cheaper, but I love playing my old GBA and GBC cartridge games. It costs more than a Nintendo Switch, but I already have one of those too.

What in the heck. Who would buy one of these?

There is an entire retro scene dedicated to collecting the old physical carts and items. Analogue sells over the top consoles dedicated to this crowd with all sorts of features added on. That crowd would not play off ROM SD cards anyways. However there are game cards that hold SD cards where you could load it.

There's a scene here that's willing to pay really high prices for stuff like this. This is also cheap for them. The NT mini (which is the best option out there for nintendo games) comes with an aluminum case and sold for 450 bucks. Sells out each run instantly as well. They go second hand for 700+ as well.

There is an entire retro scene dedicated to collecting the old physical carts and items.
I'm aware, and the costs when i gave it up years ago was outrageous, i bet stuff has tripled by now. Still doesn't explain why there's no option.

Might be a good time to buy CRT tech from the Indian company that owns it and start making real monitors again.

I'm aware, and the costs when i gave it up years ago was outrageous, i bet stuff has tripled by now. Still doesn't explain why there's no option.

Might be a good time to buy CRT tech from the Indian company that owns it and start making real monitors again.
The explanation is easy. Because it's an outrageous blasphemy of the highest order to the people from that scene that want to fork out for something like this. It wouldn't be a feature, it would be a massive blemish on the product and drop it's value.

For those who aren't part of those scene they'll just load modded carts and jail break the thing, their past products were jail broken. But jail breaking them to enable ROMs actually reduces their value on the second hand market because the people going gaga over this view that as ruining it.

When did you used to make monitors?

When did you used to make monitors?
I meant as an industry, i did not. But i believe all the CRT patents were picked up by an Indian company who made them until recently over there. I'd say there's probably a market for them again.

I meant as an industry, i did not. But i believe all the CRT patents were picked up by an Indian company who made them until recently over there. I'd say there's probably a market for them again.
They still sell like hotcakes on the retro market at premium.

Received mine about a month back. At non-scalper prices I think it's worth the money when you think about all the hardware packed into this thing and the general build quality. The buttons feel better compared to any other emulator handheld I own (Or GBA buttons).

The screen is the selling point here. In particular for GB/GBC games since it's perfect 10x upscale.

Currently you can play GB/GBC ROMs off the SD card via GB Studio. Just use this website to do the .GB/.GBC -> .pocket IPS patching. https://retropatcher.jonabrams.com/

Luckily, I already own a bunch of GBA games before the market went crazy, so that's not as big of a deal for me. Although EZFlash works as well.

IMO, it will be the best handheld on the market once the cracked OS is released, given the build quality, and being able to play almost every system out there pre-N64/PS1 era without using software emulation.

Received mine about a month back. At non-scalper prices I think it's worth the money when you think about all the hardware packed into this thing and the general build quality. The buttons feel better compared to any other emulator handheld I own (Or GBA buttons).

The screen is the selling point here. In particular for GB/GBC games since it's perfect 10x upscale.

Currently you can play GB/GBC ROMs off the SD card via GB Studio. Just use this website to do the .GB/.GBC -> .pocket IPS patching. https://retropatcher.jonabrams.com/

Luckily, I already own a bunch of GBA games before the market went crazy, so that's not as big of a deal for me. Although EZFlash works as well.

IMO, it will be the best handheld on the market once the cracked OS is released, given the build quality, and being able to play almost every system out there pre-N64/PS1 era without using software emulation.

Buttons feel like 8bitdos a bit.

I won’t get mine until Q4 I think. I lost most of my GBA games and sold most of my Gameboy ones long ago other than Metroid 2 and maybe a Final Fantasy.

I basically bought it on the hope it will be able to play a bunch of other systems off the SD card which will likely happen.

Update is out, access for custom cores is now there. People have already released custom GB/GBC & GBA cores that allow full ROM support from the micro SD. Will be interesting to see over the next months how many other consoles get on this thing.

Update is out, access for custom cores is now there. People have already released custom GB/GBC & GBA cores that allow full ROM support from the micro SD. Will be interesting to see over the next months how many other consoles get on this thing.
I’m still waiting for mine, I think I’m in the Q4 group so there will hopefully be more development by the time I get it.

Mine finally arrived. I also purchased the dock for this.

Overall, impressed with it. It feels much more responsive than the emulators I've been using. Sadly, I ended up breaking the microSD card I had, so waiting for a reorder.

I actually got mine around December but haven’t used it much yet. I was waiting to get a screen protector for it and forgot about it.

I briefly tried it after loading some cores on it and it seemed to work well. The hardware is good.

So, I popped in SMBA4 since that's both on the Switch and one of my carts.

(I own more games, but these are just the ones available to me at the moment).

But honestly, I didn't buy it for the pocket factor. I bought it to dock, as I'm not really a fan of handhelds.

Going back to the Switch definitely feels off in terms of responsiveness.

Back