AMD's Radeon RX 7900-series Highlights

I wonder if AMD will either A) release reference cards in sufficient number or B) strangle the AIBs to only have a minor increase in prices this time around. Last gen with all the crazy shit back then everything was up in the air, but if these $899 and $999 cards are going to thrive (lets assume they're at least competitive to 4080 and preferably at least somewhere between 4080 and 4090 for most things for the XTX) then it can't be an issue where the "real' price of any AIB in stock is like $1400+ for a "good version" Asus, PowerColor, or Sapphire. It completely upends the value prospect and especially if the card either battles with the 4080 or (as NV will surely point at ) doesn't do as well in some exclusive raytracing performance etc.. its going to be a very different situation from a "worst situation" where its 10% slower than the 4080 at $899/999 vs 10% slower at a parity $1200-1400. So lets hope this works out but it is all up in the air until we get hard reviews in hand.

Reactions: erek
like this
3080ti struggles to beat 60fps at 1440p on max settings, but it was said High not Max so that is my misunderstanding of the requirements.
But the 3060TI can handle those sorts of numbers, but its pricing right now is still stupid.
Like you say I had more standard very high that some niche case or max, but even then it must be rare, even for the particularly hard to run not that well optimized newest affair like plague tale requiem:

performance-2560-1440.png

It end to stay above 80 fps average in very high quality scenarios:
https://www.techspot.com/review/2264-geforce-rtx-3080-ti/

Cyberpunk and the like.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/dying-light-2-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/uncharted-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/elden-ring-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/

the 3080 averaged, 111, 87, 60 in those (i imagine elden ring had some hard 60 fps limit has the 3080 was at 60 from 1080p to 4K)

Last edited:
Like you say I had more standard very high that some niche case or max, but even then it must be rare, even for the particularly hard to run that that well optimized newest affair like plague tale requiem:

View attachment 532086

Cyberpunk and the like.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/dying-light-2-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/uncharted-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/elden-ring-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/

the 3080 averaged, 111, 87, 60 in those (i imagine elden ring had some hard 60 fps limit has the 3080 was at 60 from 1080p to 4K)
I was looking at tests that had ray tracing on.

like this
I was looking at tests that had ray tracing on.
With RT that throws anything I said out of the windows, but that goes into fancy high end, even a 4090 would have some issues in some game.

like this
I wonder if AMD will either A) release reference cards in sufficient number or
Devil's advocate: Sufficient number .. for what? To drag down average selling prices for their partners' higher-tier SKU's? To be perpetually instock and easily purchasable, or at least more so than Nvidia cards, so the tech tabloids and 'tubers can predictably declare "Lol Nobody's Buying Them!!"

B) strangle the AIBs to only have a minor increase in prices this time around.

How do you believe this would actually work? AMD subsidizing AIB's to accept a lower price at retail than what the market will support? Scalpers would love that scenario. Not going to happen anyway, for many reasons. AMD also isn't in any strangling power position over their partners. They need each other.

So lets hope this works out but it is all up in the air until we get hard reviews in hand.

Think about it from a business standpoint and it's fairly predictable. AMD and AIB's will produce smaller quantities of reference model cards that will be unobtanium, and AIB's will produce far greater quantities of higher-priced SKU's. The idea of the market flooded with MSRP reference GPU's wouldn't even be in AMD's best business interest, even if they have the capability.

Radeon AIB's are thrilled when Nvidia pushes prices higher, because it lifts their boat too. "Stick it to Nvidia and don't overpay for a Geforce, by overpaying us for a Radeon instead".

Last edited:
This. Some people have some very distorted views on performance.

In my opinion, take the baseline experience of Esports games at 1080p, 60fps. Rainbow six, CsGo, Lol, rocket league. 60FPS with low settings. That's entry level. That's the 'any lower than this and you don't have a gaming PC, you have a PC that technically can launch games.'

Now on the opposite side of the spectrum, you have the top end hardware: the literal best money can or cannot buy: overclocked golden sample top end halo chips with full loops and massive radiators, not a compromise in sight. Many cars cost less than these PCs. That's the high end. That's the "I couldn't even sell my soul and get something faster right now" how does that PC perform? What are its benchmark numbers?

Now take those numbers, and map a range between them and the lowest end PC we talked about earlier. Make a tick right in the middle. right between the linear ramp from lowest to best. THAT'S MID RANGE.

I know it sounds complicated but it's really really simple.

sources close to Igor Wallossek have informed him that many major AIB partners (both exclusive and non-exclusive) have delayed their Radeon RX 7900 series launch by at least a week. Widespread availability isn’t expected until New Year’s.

According to another source, the RDNA 3 GPUs suffer from serious driver issues, including memory leaks that may adversely affect performance and visual fidelity and lead to freezing.

Sources: Igor’s Lab, Harukaze (Chiphell)

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-r...p-reference-models-allegedly-selling-at-loss/

like this
Like you say I had more standard very high that some niche case or max, but even then it must be rare, even for the particularly hard to run not that well optimized newest affair like plague tale requiem:

View attachment 532086

Cyberpunk and the like.

Plague tale requiem is a TWIMTBP title so it better do well.

like this
sources close to Igor Wallossek have informed him that many major AIB partners (both exclusive and non-exclusive) have delayed their Radeon RX 7900 series launch by at least a week. Widespread availability isn’t expected until New Year’s.

According to another source, the RDNA 3 GPUs suffer from serious driver issues, including memory leaks that may adversely affect performance and visual fidelity and lead to freezing.

Sources: Igor’s Lab, Harukaze (Chiphell)

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-r...p-reference-models-allegedly-selling-at-loss/

Hmm, so C19 caused production issues and driver issues. All with the cherry on top of it being sold at a loss. Call me skeptical just a bit.

like this
Has for the drivers issues, Wendell of Level1Tech at the AMD presentation felt like that it was quite probably the case and the reason why that AMD presentation was so lacking in actual numbers, drivers not ready.
That would track with the issues they are having with the Instinct cards right now, the MI200 and MI250 series cards, both chiplet designs are suffering delay issues with most of their integration projects because of drivers causing severe performance and stability issues.

Seems promising!

is the new high speed interconnect akin to or borrow technology from ATI's Ring Bus segment?

View attachment 532334

View attachment 532335View attachment 532336

The SAV tech is pretty damn good. But he really needs to chill because it's coming off as Nvidia/Intel can use marketing to its full extent but not AMD. If you're gonna accept RT, which to me is far less useful than QuickSync then you really need to STFU already unless you're going to treat everyone the same. Every company on Earth markets that its best to buy all of their own stuff. Who TF doesn't?

Last edited:

ASRock and XFX Radeon RX 7900-series Custom Design Cards Leak

As we're getting closer to the official launch date, pictures of AMD Radeon RX 7900-series cards from both ASRock and XFX have tipped up online. The ASRock cards are part of its Phantom Gaming and Taichi series of cards, whereas the XFX card is part of the MERC line. Sadly none of the cards appear to sport a USB-C port, suggesting that it's not a feature that any of the OEM's have thought worthwhile to include in their custom board designs.

The ASRock Phantom Gaming cards appear to be 2.5-slot cards, whereas the Taichi cards are triple slot. The Phantom Gaming cards seem to be equipped with a short backplate that only covers the rear of the PCB, rather than the full length of the card, with the Taichi cards seemingly having a full-length backplate. The XFX MERC 310 also appears to be a 2.5-slot design, but it has a very different backplate design which appears to act much more as a heatsink than most backplate designs we've seen to date. The fact that it appears to be made of a large chunk of aluminium that wraps around the back edge of the card is also rather unusual. XFX also appears to have gone with the same size for its RX 7900 XT and RX 7900 XTX cards. We can also see that XFX has gone for three 8-pin power connectors for their cards.

1670427851575.png

ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX AQUA Liquid Cooled Graphics Card Pictured

Here's the first picture of the ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX AQUA, marking the debut of the company's top-of-the-line AQUA brand to its graphics card lineup. The ASRock AQUA line of motherboards come with liquid monoblocks that let you cool the processor, chipset, and CPU VRM using your own DIY liquid-cooling loop. The Radeon RX 7900 XTX comes with a factory-fitted full-coverage water block. The OEM of this block is unknown (could be either CoolIT or Bitspower). The block features a nickel-plated copper primary material, with an acrylic top and vinyl film for the brushed-aluminium look. The top is studded with addressable RGB LEDs. The block sits on top of ASRock's most premium custom-design PCB for the RX 7900 XTX, which pulls power from three 8-pin PCIe power connectors.

1670427899580.png

Man that MERC 310 looks nice with that back plate. It goes really well with black and white/silver theme I got going on. AIB cards might be closer than last time when it took almost 2 months for them come out. Tempting lol.

If you're gonna make a 2.5-slot card you might as well go the full 3 slots and pack on some more cooling.

If you're gonna make a 2.5-slot card you might as well go the full 3 slots and pack on some more cooling.
That’s a fair bit of extra metal though, adds $$$ to the final product.

like this
Yes, I'm sure the extra ounce or so of aluminum will break the bank of a thousand-dollar card.
I highly doubt it matters that much. Msi, Gb, asus coolers are gonna be same as 4080-4090 from the looks of it. And it’s gonna be same shit fitting it in to cases.

Yes, I'm sure the extra ounce or so of aluminum will break the bank of a thousand-dollar card.
yeah, but we are talking about people who will find a way to shave a half mm of plastic off a fan shroud or use hot glue to hold down a wire because it's cheaper than a zip tie.

like this

ASRock and XFX Radeon RX 7900-series Custom Design Cards Leak

As we're getting closer to the official launch date, pictures of AMD Radeon RX 7900-series cards from both ASRock and XFX have tipped up online. The ASRock cards are part of its Phantom Gaming and Taichi series of cards, whereas the XFX card is part of the MERC line. Sadly none of the cards appear to sport a USB-C port, suggesting that it's not a feature that any of the OEM's have thought worthwhile to include in their custom board designs.

The ASRock Phantom Gaming cards appear to be 2.5-slot cards, whereas the Taichi cards are triple slot. The Phantom Gaming cards seem to be equipped with a short backplate that only covers the rear of the PCB, rather than the full length of the card, with the Taichi cards seemingly having a full-length backplate. The XFX MERC 310 also appears to be a 2.5-slot design, but it has a very different backplate design which appears to act much more as a heatsink than most backplate designs we've seen to date. The fact that it appears to be made of a large chunk of aluminium that wraps around the back edge of the card is also rather unusual. XFX also appears to have gone with the same size for its RX 7900 XT and RX 7900 XTX cards. We can also see that XFX has gone for three 8-pin power connectors for their cards.

View attachment 532480

ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX AQUA Liquid Cooled Graphics Card Pictured

Here's the first picture of the ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX AQUA, marking the debut of the company's top-of-the-line AQUA brand to its graphics card lineup. The ASRock AQUA line of motherboards come with liquid monoblocks that let you cool the processor, chipset, and CPU VRM using your own DIY liquid-cooling loop. The Radeon RX 7900 XTX comes with a factory-fitted full-coverage water block. The OEM of this block is unknown (could be either CoolIT or Bitspower). The block features a nickel-plated copper primary material, with an acrylic top and vinyl film for the brushed-aluminium look. The top is studded with addressable RGB LEDs. The block sits on top of ASRock's most premium custom-design PCB for the RX 7900 XTX, which pulls power from three 8-pin PCIe power connectors.

View attachment 532482
3 8 pins are nice, less stress on the wiring trying to hold up that far corner of the card :D

yeah, but we are talking about people who will find a way to shave a half mm of plastic off a fan shroud or use hot glue to hold down a wire because it's cheaper than a zip tie.
And still charge the end consumer an extra $200 to $400 from reference. :shifty:

like this
I expect that thanks to chipplets, thee memory controller on the RDNA3 is going to be just as bad as the high-latency one they totally redesigned for GCN 1.0

going tgo be 6 monts to a year before they fix it!

I expect that thanks to chipplets, thee memory controller on the RDNA3 is going to be just as bad as the high-latency one they totally redesigned for GCN 1.0

going tgo be 6 monts to a year before they fix it!
Well, see they recently rewrote their entire DX11 driver stack, to potentially head off some of those issues. Only a week to go until we start getting some real numbers so we will all know soon enough.
I just hope the RDNA 3 architecture launch goes smoother than their Aldebaran launch, the drivers and hardware there has been a hot mess according to most sources so far.

mebe a stupid question, but does anyone care about unboxing articles/videos? in this case, it tells you very little about the product that we didnt already know.

Video cards in a box is new and ground breaking. Until now I've been getting mine out of the bottom of Lucky Charms and Froot Loop bags.

^^ Hey look a 10 and 14 minute video where absolutely jack shit of value was said! Amazing content to consume these days. :p

It's a really nice design, I'll give them that. Certainly less ugly than the MSI card I just bought lol. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

like this
Back