AMD Zen 3 Launch Event Discussion

They mentioned earlier on in the presentation that gaming performance benefits from the low latency of having all 8 cores on a single chiplet. So I'd assume they'd make the 5800X have all 8 cores on one in that case.
zen 2 was 8 cores per chiplet, 4 cores per ccx. It looks like zen 3 is 8 cores per CCX. I don't know enough about cpu architecture to speculate on core config though.

zen 2 was 8 cores per chiplet, 4 cores per ccx. It looks like zen 3 is 8 cores per CCX. I don't know enough about cpu architecture to speculate on core config though.
Apologies, I mixed up CCX and chiplet terminology.

I'm not impressed, especially with that demo at the end with Borderlands 3 and COD Warzone using the 5900x and Big Navi. I was totally prepared to move to the new 5950x but I'm getting 150 FPS @ 4K in box those games. COD Warzone for sure but I know I am getting a hellva lot more than 60fps in Borderland 3.

Still, it's a nice upgrade for AMD fans.

Apologies, I mixed up CCX and chiplet terminology.
no problem! I just don't know if they will be shipping cpus with 8 cores being all from one CCX, or if CPUs with 8 or less cores in general will ship with 1 CCX or 2.

Yeah, really, what I want is PCIE 4.0 without a fan :)
What's wrong with B550? Is there something I should know?

I have my B550 board so now it's just a waiting game for a month. Should be interesting to see where all these CPUs fall in the price/performance chart. Looking forward to the reviews to help with the decision. In interim, maybe some people will dump their 3900x. Wouldn't be too upset running one of those. I'm very much looking forward to moving on from my spaceheater 5820K @ 4.5GHz.

Well, after watching the presentation, I think it may be time to wait. Yep, that is it. The 5000 series is last for the AM4 boards and my 3800x smokes games well and multi-thread workloads well enough that an upgrade for it, is not quite needed. I will see when I run Cyberpunk 2077 to see what that does to my CPU/GPU. If anything, I will upgrade to a x570 board so when the 5000 series drops because of the 6000 series, I can plop in a new CPU. As far as the RX 6000 showing...BL3 was looking smooth for 4k! However, I see no 'RTX' in anything they showed. Hope there is much more real numbers for games when 'Big Navi' is shown.

I'm not impressed, especially with that demo at the end with Borderlands 3 and COD Warzone using the 5900x and Big Navi. I was totally prepared to move to the new 5950x but I'm getting 150 FPS @ 4K in box those games. COD Warzone for sure but I know I am getting a hellva lot more than 60fps in Borderland 3.

Still, it's a nice upgrade for AMD fans.
The 3080 gets ~65-70 fps in Borderlands 3 ultra 4k. What GPU are you running?

What's wrong with B550? Is there something I should know?

I have my B550 board so now it's just a waiting game for a month. Should be interesting to see where all these CPUs fall in the price/performance chart. Looking forward to the reviews to help with the decision. In interim, maybe some people will dump their 3900x. Wouldn't be too upset running one of those. I'm very much looking forward to moving on from my spaceheater 5820K @ 4.5GHz.
I don't think anything is wrong with it at all, does it have enough PCIE lanes? I have 2 NVM drives, and a wifi card, my GPU drops to 8x on my current rig (8700k/z370)

So, this '5Ghz' thing is really a meme by now. The reason Intel is at 5Ghz is because their prime architecture hasn't changed in many generations and they are just pushing the dead horse 14++++ nm to that Ghz just to stay on top. Well, the horse wants to die. Amd shows that it can be done without being stuck on a process for many generations. Next Ryzen 6000 (whatever) should be 5nm when intel finally gets their parts out on either TSMC 7nm, their own 10nm, or Samsungs' 8nm, it will be behind, again. 5Ghz on AMD seems now achievable, but, it is fundamentally way different in architecture that 5Ghz on AMD will smoke Intel and do it with power efficiency vs Intel actually smoking.

So no 5300/5500 yet? Not unexpected, but still disappointed...

I don't think anything is wrong with it at all, does it have enough PCIE lanes? I have 2 NVM drives, and a wifi card, my GPU drops to 8x on my current rig (8700k/z370)
Yeah, I'm just boring with one GPU and one NVME. B550 definitely won't meet your needs.

The 3080 gets ~65-70 fps in Borderlands 3 ultra 4k. What GPU are you running?

RTX 3090. Let me go back and get the FPS. I don't want to mislead anyone. Still I think the new AMD stuff looks great. I really thought there might be a chance I could upgrade from my 10900K however. Not sure now.

So, 18 months after the 3600 launched, we get a 6 core that's probably 20% faster in gaming for $100 more. Or, if you look at it with today's prices, $140 more. I'm not impressed. 93% more cost for 20% performance increase for someone that currently has a 3600(x). Then, the 5800x is $100 more than Intel's 8-core part.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some AMD. I have a 1600, 2600x and 3600x ($179; figured wtf spend $20 more than the 3600). They were the easy choice due to being good enough at a substantially lower cost. Now, they're in-line with Intel on pricing. I remember reading, and thinking myself, AMD is not your friend. They are a business trying to make as much money as possible. That was proven today with the reveal.

So, 18 months after the 3600 launched, we get a 6 core that's probably 20% faster in gaming for $100 more. Or, if you look at it with today's prices, $140 more. I'm not impressed. 93% more cost for 20% performance increase for someone that currently has a 3600(x). Then, the 5800x is $100 more than Intel's 8-core part.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some AMD. I have a 1600, 2600x and 3600x ($179; figured wtf spend $20 more than the 3600). They were the easy choice due to being good enough at a substantially lower cost. Now, they're in-line with Intel on pricing. I remember reading, and thinking myself, AMD is not your friend. They are a business trying to make as much money as possible. That was proven today with the reveal.

Fair assessment, however 20% jump within the same node and socket is pretty good for a CPU. The cost increase is AMD trying to increase margins while they can before Intel has a chance to answer, they're a publically traded company after all.

Anyone who thought AMD wasn’t a business and wasn’t going to raise prices at some point was delusional tbh.

Idk why you people are surprised about a price bump. If anything I would of expected a higher bump in price. Intel has no answer to this. If Intel has no answer to this when zen4 is release expect a huge price bump.

Just an FYI...never thought I would have ever seen AMD past $20 a share, but, as of this typing they hand Intel its own ass with $86.46 to Intel's $53.24. Hadn't paid attention to stocks since early 2000's and just tried RN to see what they were at. o_O That is a big shift from what I had seen of AMD in its past. Now, AMD needs to eat away at Nvidia.

As I understand it, Zen 3 will still only have 8 cores per CCD, but it will all be inside a unified CCX. This will help avoid crossing CCX boundaries and allow faster cache access since all the L3 is shared. In other words, 8c/16t CPU's won't be crossing CCX's or CCD's ever. Dual CCD CPU's like the 5900X and 5950X will still have to do it, but increased cache helps with those latency penalties and those CPU's will still have to cross CCX's far less than their predecessors did.

Just an FYI...never thought I would have ever seen AMD past $20 a share, but, as of this typing they hand Intel its own ass with $86.46 to Intel's $53.24. Hadn't paid attention to stocks since early 2000's and just tried RN to see what they were at. o_O That is a big shift from what I had seen of AMD in its past. Now, AMD needs to eat away at Nvidia.
That’s not how that works. Intel has more shares and a higher market cap still. AMD is around $101B, Intel $225B.

I wonder what the price will be for 5950x. I $850 would make sense but $1000 wouldn't surprise me.

AMD should price the 5950X at $999, just for the hell of it. The TRX40 platform is already priced in enterprise/commercial territory. We live in a world where $500 motherboards are now considered mid-range. If you want the decked out, nicely decorated mobo, you better fork over $750~$800. The Threadripper CPUs, on the other hand, are very expensive. I know, I know, Intel pulled shit like this as well back in the day. Publically traded or not, prices for everything are crossing over into ridiculous territory.

dcc3fef08e4ab887923e4fd296556364.jpg

Idk why you people are surprised about a price bump. If anything I would of expected a higher bump in price. Intel has no answer to this. If Intel has no answer to this when zen4 is release expect a huge price bump.

The 8 core part just seems overpriced. Maybe the will release a 5700x later. At $450, it is too close in price to the 10850k and that CPU will do as good or better in most benchmarks other than power consumption.

RTX 3090. Let me go back and get the FPS. I don't want to mislead anyone. Still I think the new AMD stuff looks great. I really thought there might be a chance I could upgrade from my 10900K however. Not sure now.
AH ok its prob not a 3090 competitor anyway and their claim is 61 FPS under "badass quality". However if the massive increase in ipc carries over to games it might give you a decent bump. Time will tell.

Yes, the more shares thing, true, however it takes nearly 2 shares of Intel to make 1 share of AMD. Yes Intel has more volume and that is because of years of AMD not having anything to really bring to the table. Now that the Zen thing has really taken off, the table will be filling up. I wish them the best and hope Intel can come back up where both are doing well to help keep prices reasonable for their respective products. I know lower prices helps my wallet.

The 8 core part just seems overpriced. Maybe the will release a 5700x later. At $450, it is too close in price to the 10850k and that CPU will do as good or better in most benchmarks other than power consumption.
Will be interesting to see apples to apples where it stands performance per dollar vs Intel. While it's worth noting this is the last generation of the platform, that is the case every generation with Intel more or less. I don't think it's worth it to people with a 3900x or 3950x, but anything less should still net some good gains. If I can get $250 for my 3800x after buying a 5900x, it's worth the $300 upgrade price imo. Won't be for everyone, but that's what the lower skus are for, and I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from used 3000 series price falls.

So what would be considered a good non-water cooling solution for the ones that are not coming with a heatsink in the box?

Guys so whats the processor thats supposed to compete ( or beat outright for gaming ) from AMD for the 10900K. BLAH, whats supposed to compete with or beat the 10900K now.

*god what kinda engrish was that*

While I admit I'm a little disappointed not to see 5.0ghz for "marketing" purposes because bigger number is easier to understand than IPC improvements and Intel devotees have been falling over themselves with their single/few core performance for years, still I'm overall happy with the chips. I am curious what OC room there may be on single, 2-4, and 8-16 core turbo speeds, as going from 4.8 or 4.9 to 5.0+ in theory SHOULD be doable with solid cooling unless they really left nothing left in the chip. Between that and IPC it should definitely eat Intel's lunch, but I am always a little skeptical of the next generation and we know Intel can pretty much throw unlimited money at things ; its amazing that AMD has remained more or less on top for so long.

The prices being a little higher is a bit of an annoyance but with the exception of the 5700X 65w slot missing, I don't see anything to be concerned about really - its what, +$50 at most, for a big step in performance? I don't want to see them jack things too high though, as the Threadripper setup has seemingly left the building, being extremely expensive and seemingly completely out of the "gaming / streaming / general HEDT" market to something more focused on pro-sumer, server, and exclusive use cases that can handle a ton of core and a fat wallet without also offering comparable single / few core performance on the high end to Ryzen. I AM glad they announced and will apparently release the 5950X at the same time as the rest of their CPUs, not make users have to wait for the top of the line like they did with Zen2 - that's always frustrating for any component.

One thing that's a little disappointing is the lack of a new chipset revision, particularly without USB4. I'd hoped AMD would iterate on the chipset a bit and add USB 4.x support among other enhancements, which would mean putting an end to the myriad of "USB 3.x gen y" confusing garbage while also adding Thunderbolt 3 compatibility/support slipstreamed in without having to get an Intel specific license. Now maybe the "refresh X570 boards" will include stuff like this by their own accord (c'mon Asus Crosshair XI Extreme, don't let me down) but its a pity that they didn't bring a X670 chipset with improvements, which means an opening for Intel to add to their next release. I like that AMD has been ahead of the curve with PCI-E 4 and all, but lets not be complacent.

Kinda a little disappointed about the release date waiting until November 5th, but if they're releasing both the CPU and GPUs at the same time that's...going to be interesting and hard on the wallet. I expect we'll hear more about the GPU's at the end of the month event. Lets hope both CPU and GPU release with sufficient quantity.

It seems like if you have a 10900K there is no compelling reason to upgrade. But the 10900K is also the current flagship processor from the competition, so that makes sense.

A 5800X or 5900X should be a pretty big jump from my 4790K though, hopefully. Also hoping for reasonable stock on launch for these chips.

These chips are not for Zen 2 owners. AMD didnt make them for you. They made them for anyone who needs or wants one.

It seems like if you have a 10900K there is no compelling reason to upgrade. But the 10900K is also the current flagship processor from the competition, so that makes sense.

A 5800X or 5900X should be a pretty big jump from my 4790K though, hopefully. Also hoping for reasonable stock on launch for these chips.
I think a big selling point for AM4 has been future upgrade ability, so those on b450+ with 2000 and 3000 series cpus get a nice uplift. For those on other platforms, you are buying into a dead end platform, but if you don't buy the flagship, then you can always upgrade down the line. From another perspective, dead platform or not, if you get performance that will make you happy for years to come, it doesn't really matter that there is no upgrade path.

I think a big selling point for AM4 has been future upgrade ability, so those on b450+ with 2000 and 3000 series cpus get a nice uplift. For those on other platforms, you are buying into a dead end platform, but if you don't buy the flagship, then you can always upgrade down the line. From another perspective, dead platform or not, if you get performance that will make you happy for years to come, it doesn't really matter that there is no upgrade path.

Well right now as someone with a fairly old build, I can either buy Intel which is *almost* a dead end platform, or AMD which *is* a dead-end platform. Either way, I don't think I've upgraded just the CPU on a board since like, the Opteron, so it's not a huge deal.

Back