AMD working their driver magic!

DaeviousMax

Weaksauce
So when I first got my 6900xt back in February I couldn’t get above 10500 graphics score in timespy extreme with my max OC and pushing power target all the way to 450 watts but now in November I revisited 3dmark and got 10500 on stock settings and 11200 with max OC but only using 289 watts. I just want to say that AMD drivers do indeed age like fine wine haha!

I mean this is great and all but it just goes to show how much more work AMD needs to go towards the goal of great day 1 drivers, where the succeeding drive releases will only need to be incremental bugfixes.

This is not a bash AMD post despite how it sounds (I just cant seem to word it any better at the moment). I currently have a 6600XT as my most powerful card and am very happy with it so far (1080p-leb here). Hoping my 6600XT has some hidden performance waiting to be unlocked, too..

Reactions: XoR_
like this
So when I first got my 6900xt back in February I couldn’t get above 10500 graphics score in timespy extreme with my max OC and pushing power target all the way to 450 watts but now in November I revisited 3dmark and got 10500 on stock settings and 11200 with max OC but only using 289 watts. I just want to say that AMD drivers do indeed age like fine wine haha!
Analogy of aging like fine wine fits better product that are already old and not product which have less than a year and are current. In this case "mda"'s comment fits more.

Good example of fine wine would be Radeon HD 7970. Card had probably the longest active support from any GPU due to AMD using the same underlying tech for few GPU generations up to Radeon VII. Somewhat newer Nvidia card with the same amount of memory (making it good for any such comparisons) GTX 780 was at its release quite a bit faster than 7970 GHz but after few years Radeon kept improving and following times resulting in quite role reversal

I mean this is great and all but it just goes to show how much more work AMD needs to go towards the goal of great day 1 drivers, where the succeeding drive releases will only need to be incremental bugfixes.

This is not a bash AMD post despite how it sounds (I just cant seem to word it any better at the moment). I currently have a 6600XT as my most powerful card and am very happy with it so far (1080p-leb here). Hoping my 6600XT has some hidden performance waiting to be unlocked, too..
I get what you are saying but give AMD time. They are just now becoming a successful company with zen. For 6 years straight they have invested all their R&D money in Zen while riding out bulldozer as a last ditch effort to become relevant again so the Radeon department has been lacking in funding and performance in the high end. With RDNA1 generation, AMD increased their funding but wasn’t enough to have a sufficient graphics driver team for well optimized day 1 drivers. With RDNA2’s prospect of being competitive in the high end, AMD again raised funding. So I get what you are saying and yes I would prefer better day 1 drivers but I have faith, as Radeon retakes market share and with the threat of intel now, that AMD will get better with releasing optimized day 1 drivers. But we will see

Reactions: mda
like this

Been saying that for years but realistically if you had 100% performance on day one driver updates would be pretty boring. It's always interesting to see how much more they can eek out of the gpu during its lifecycle.

Reactions: mda
like this
My 6900xt has been amazing so far. Have not had one driver issue since I got this card back in February.

Same here 6900XT has been very good from day1 and just keeps getting better. I really like the metrics overlay too. Here's hoping they make overlay scaling more granular in the future.

I've own both, same time, Nvidia and AMD cards, over a decade, over time, time and time again, AMD cards do indeed start closing any gap or expand lead as newer games are released, depending upon the game. Call it whatever one wants, AMD usually stands the test of time.

Back