AMD vs Intel: Which CPUs Are Better

I miss the old Tom's. AnandTech. And i wipe a tear way, [H].

Still great reviews at The FPS Review. Folks you know and trust, more of the deets (sorry, been playing Cyberpunk) you care about. Just in case folks didn't know that's where many of your favorite [H] writers are working.

Guess Intel should get some actually good silicon, then. As in top shelf.
Well they paid enough money to ASML to guarantee it and also ensure that neither Samsung nor TSMC can get equivalent or better for a year or so after Intel will have their nodes online. So that is basically a done deal.

Im with ASUS/AMD from now on. No more intel for me.
I've got news for you, ASUS has released some bad boards over the years. Not many, but they have made some missteps. More frequently on the AMD side than the Intel side in case you were wondering. AMD has also made some pretty awful processors in the past or have been completely outclassed by Intel. This industry isn't static. The way things are today is not how they will be in a couple of years, or five years from now. Making statements like these are short sighted. Furthermore, brand loyalty isn't something that should be given without question. It must be earned every product generation.

The problem is with the specifications and overclocking categories. They list many factors that go either way then draw a conclusion that intel wins.

For one overclocking is now the power budget. Yes intel has a much higher budget and AMD is nothing but diminished returns. But intel already runs at a high envelope so the diminishing returns are shared. What's with the 12k 5k graphs from the past for gaming performance that was just weird.

Specifications was a shit show. Drivers suck everywhere, sans nVidia if you can overlook the experience. Touting intel for graphics improvements when they barely touch the coattails of the other two is at best a participation trophy.

Then the long tirade on HEDT where they compare price to core but never price to performance or power. intel is barely tipping its toes back in the water but they are nowhere competitive yet. If you talk about it weigh it in the points score.

They give credit to intel for supporting DDR4 but gloss over the longevity of AMD's sockets. Completely ignoring the 5800x3D for it's niche existence. It still outsells many other skews. If you give credit for intel pricing give AMD credit for longevity.

Plenty more to rant on my for now my rant is done

I've got news for you, ASUS has released some bad boards over the years. Not many, but they have made some missteps. More frequently on the AMD side than the Intel side in case you were wondering. AMD has also made some pretty awful processors in the past or have been completely outclassed by Intel. This industry isn't static. The way things are today is not how they will be in a couple of years, or five years from now. Making statements like these are short sighted. Furthermore, brand loyalty isn't something that should be given without question. It must be earned every product generation.

You are very convencing, its AsRock from now on!!!11one

I know how to use PCPartPicker too. Four of those boards only support up to 64GB of ram, and the rest are microATX. The motherboard I was thinking of is a B650, for $190. The lowest priced AM4 full ATX board that supports 128GB of ram is $99. The cheapest Full ATX LGA1700 board is $120.

I didn't care with bulldozer and I still don't care now. It's only using that much power under full load, and that doesn't happen all the time.

That should always be how you shop.

You worked for Tech Report?

I didnt work there but I was a forum moderator for a really long time. Plus a lot of this admin stuff got talked about at the yearly BBQs we had, as pretty much all the mods, admins, and scott wasson used to go to them.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I still don't understand why Intel chose not to have the same video driver support for the Comet Lake than the Rocket Lake etc. I mean you can have high definition video on the Rocket Lake and later that you get on RTX video cards but they won't offer it for Comet Lake.
Rocket Lake was intel's first CPU generation with XE graphics. Its a different graphics architecture, than Comet Lake.

I thought Tom's was reputable?
Do you not remember the RTX "IT JUST WORKS" shrill that Toms put out in an editorial? Basically took a giant shit all over their own reviews, said Raytracing is great, dont read reviews, go out and buy it.

Tom’s Hardware published an article yesterday that is raising a few eyebrows. Written by the website’s chief editor, “Just Buy It: Why NVIDIA RTX GPUs Are Worth the Money” goes to radical lengths to urge gamers and hardware enthusiasts to see past the cards’ premium pricing and make pre-orders before benchmarks arrive. Many readers, such as Gamers Nexus’s Steve Burke, are calling this a sad and obvious attempt at shilling.

The Tom's article is referencing pricing concerns from users relating to the new NVIDIA RTX video cards, including the RTX 2070, RTX 2080, and RTX 2080 Ti, which have higher prices relative to previous same-name products. We're not saying to buy or not buy the RTX cards (unlike Tom's), but are commenting on the actual insanity contained within the Tom's Hardware article by their for-now Editor-in-Chief.
https://hardforum.com/threads/gamer...r-their-just-buy-it-rtx-2080-article.1966696/

As for best CPU, that would be Intel. Why? Because their motherboards aren't $200+
Cheapest ATX DDR-5 motherboard for Intel do seem to start around $200, still to this day it seem:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=price&f=2&s=40&c=152,162&page=1

AMD side cheapest ATX-DDR5 board:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=price&f=2

Start at $190 (single model),m $200 for 3 other skus

P.S. Did not read the whole thing, so could have missed the point.

There is a good offer of cheaper DDR-4 for board from Intel, but I wonder if DDE-4 550-570 AMD is not a closer equivalent here than the latest AM5 options.

You are very convencing, its AsRock from now on!!!11one
You've obviously never visited the MOBO area of hardforums if you think Asus is anything but trash. Even in my own experience all my Asus builds have stopped working and all my other computers last forever. F Asus.

I think some of you are getting way to emotional about it, just buy what ever mobo you want, that makes you happy. I have only use ASUS since the 90's till now and I am happy with them.

If I had a Weirding Module and said ASUS really loud it would probably blow up the moon.

Stay safe.

You've obviously never visited the MOBO area of hardforums if you think Asus is anything but trash. Even in my own experience all my Asus builds have stopped working and all my other computers last forever. F Asus.

Opposite experience. If I get an Asus board that works fine within the first few days they last me forever. The trick is getting a working one in the first place, and if you don't get one it is not worth the trouble to engage with their RMA department.

I've probably worked with more ASUS motherboards (and more motherboards in general) than most people here. I've had very few issues out of ASUS boards in general and probably fewer issues than I have with other brands. That being said, I don't think MSI or GIGABYTE is all that far behind. EVGA and ASRock are another matter. EVGA has often been a mixed bag in my experience. To be fair, I haven't worked with any of their recent motherboards. They quit sampling HardOCP after I slammed their regular X58 motherboard. The Classified X58 got a good review from Morry, although my personal X58 Classified was a piece of shit. I replaced it with the Rampage III Black Edition and never had any other problems with that system. I think I've worked with one EVGA motherboard in recent years and I don't have anything to say about it either way. It was uneventful.

Other companies like Biostar are almost a non-issue. I've had decent enough experiences with some of those other brands but they are few and far between as their presence in North America is almost non-existent. There are very few players in the market these days which is sad. There used to be a lot more variety.

I have gone through a lot of boards and hardware in general, personally, I avoid MSI and ACER at this point because of past bad experiences but looking at it now I realize how long ago those bad experiences were and how long I have been doing this then I feel the need for a drink because it is somewhat depressing.
AMD and Intel have both gotten it to the point where the AIB's aren't exactly doing a lot on their own, the MB designs are pretty set in stone and the UEFI/BIOS stuff they do is mostly cosmetic.
You are hard-pressed to go really go wrong with anybody at this stage.

"Winner: AMD. The AMD vs Intel CPU security debate continues to evolve as researchers and nefarious actors alike turn more of an eye towards AMD's newer architectures. As things stand, Intel still suffers from more known vulnerabilities than AMD, and the impact of the Spectre mitigations on previous-gen Intel processors leads to larger performance losses (at times equivalent to a few generational gains worth of improvement) than the fixes we've seen from AMD, granting Team Red the win.
so, just came across this today. supposedly current gen intel procs still vulnerable to all the same stuff
Intel IME Problems Haunting Us 7 Years Later!

I have had more trouble out of ASRock boards than all other brands combined. That being said, given the sheer number of boards I've reviewed, systems I've built and worked on for friends that's still not a lot of issues.
i've actually had good luck so far with asus. only board that ever gave me hell was also an assrock (990fx) that gave up the ghost after a year. i say hell because i originally thought it was the power supply so i spent like $120 on a non returnable power supply when Tiger Direct was going out of business only to find out it was the motherboard all along. But it kind of worked out because i ended up with (in his own words) one of the best power supplies Johnny Guru ever tested if anyone remembers that guy? and the silverstone decathlon that i thought was bad is still kicking to this day.

Sorry I derailed the thread, this was suppose to be about CPU's.

All I said was "Im with ASUS/AMD from now on. No more intel for me."

That statement doesn't mean ASUS = perfect, best mobo ever made, flawless.....................just sayin.

Last edited:
Sorry I derailed the thread, this was suppose to be about CPU's.

All I said was "Im with ASUS/AMD from now on. No more intel for me."

That statement doesn't mean ASUS = perfect, best mobo ever made, flawless.....................just sayin.
it's ok man, we can discuss things. nobody or product is perfect.

Back