AMD threadripper 3970x RAM rec

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hi All, I am looking to upgrade from the RAM i currently have. Currently I am running EVGA DDR4-3000 (4x8GB 32GB) I would like to upgrade to 64GB of RAM but kinda confused on which one to get.

Any suggestions? I would like to keep it at 4 sticks of RAM at most. My price is around $300 give or take. Does the Intel DDR4 work with the threadripper? Or does it HAVE to be for AMD?

Last edited:
I would consult your motherboard Qualified vendor list (QVL) found on the support web page of your motherboard probably in the downloads or drivers section depending on brand of motherboard. The QVL will tell you exactly which memory kit has been tested and verified to work with your motherboard and cpu. If you want to play it safe don’t get any kits above 3200mhz even if it’s on the QVL list because even if the kit is on the QVL and your motherboard can handle it does not mean your particular 3970x’s memory controller can handle it. Plus because you are running threadripper you are probably using it for business and anything higher than 3200mhz is considered overclocking and voids AMDs warranty. Hope this helps

Back