AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT: max GPU clock of 3GHz

I think this explains why der8aeur found the 6800XT is hard limited to 2.8Ghz
If they let that go higher then there's even less reason to stump up for a 6900XT
Gotta remember, all the new Radeons are very similar - all have 16GB vRAM etc.

Also, I still think it's silly to call this an XT - why not just 6900 (leaving the possibility for a bigger, badder XT to come later)
What are they going to have to call that one, 6950XT...? :facepalm:

I think this explains why der8aeur found the 6800XT is hard limited to 2.8Ghz
If they let that go higher then there's even less reason to stump up for a 6900XT
Gotta remember, all the new Radeons are very similar - all have 16GB vRAM etc.

Also, I still think it's silly to call this an XT - why not just 6900 (leaving the possibility for a bigger, badder XT to come later)
What are they going to have to call that one, 6950XT...? :facepalm:
There's isn't a bigger Navi 2 part. This is it. Its not like Nvidia's past, where they have a super part which they cut down into the various consumer/gamer parts. But save the full part for professional applications. It seems even Nividia couldn't do that, this time. Ampere is not an elegant product. Nvidia had to push it to the limit in all aspects, to squeeze out what they did.

Something better than 6900xt will most likely be a whole new product, with a different naming/number scheme. At the rate AMD has been going with their R&D, I don't expect a Navi 2 refresh. I think it will straight up be Navi 3 with the next part. And I think there's a real good chance it will be a chiplet design.

***In regards to the topic of this thread: A maximum allowed clock of 3.0ghz does not mean that these cards will be boosting to 3.0ghz on air or even water. They will likely boost higher than the 6800xt. Exactly how much, remains to be seen. Some of the best 6800xt manually overclock to 2.5ghz. I expect 6900xt will probably ship with a factory boost of 2.5 or maybe even 2.6.

Some of the best 6800xt manually overclock to 2.5ghz. I expect 6900xt will probably ship with a factory boost of 2.5 or maybe even 2.6.

What?

There is a separate thread on how the 6800 XT cards are overclocking to 2700 — 2750 mhz !!!

I don’t understand why AMD is hard limiting the top card to 3000.

EDIT:

Here is the thread, I was referring to:

Tech power up managed to overclock the ASUS ROG STRIX LC 2800 GT to 2743 mhz

Despite the large factory overclock, ASUS did not go overboard with power consumption. It's 24 W higher for 4% performance gained, a very reasonable tradeoff.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6800-xt-strix-oc-lc-liquid-cooled/38.html

View attachment 304231

Interestingly Patrick Schur says that the upcoming 6900 XT is limited to 3000 Mhz. Why limit the frequency of the top card, I have to wonder 🤔

https://mobile.twitter.com/patrickschur_/status/1333078578767028226

What?

There is a separate thread on how the 6800 XT cards are overclocking to 2700 — 2750 mhz !!!

EDIT:

I haven't looked at every single 5800xt review. But that's only the second card I have heard of, which is hitting 2700mhz.

Most I have seen, do somewhere between 2450 and 2550.

Based on that, it seems like AMD could probably bin some 6900xt for 2500-2600mhz default clock. I would be very surprised if they launch with a default boost higher than that. Who knows, maybe they have a bin of golden chips which all hit 2700mhz on air no problem and that's the 6900xt default clock. And they increased to 3ghz so that watercoolers could get some golden chips past 2.8ghz. Who knows!

Also, if that's the case, it would seem that an actual 6900xt would perform better than the previously posted benchmarks on AMD.com...

There are two reasons as far as I can tell:

1., Both Sony and Microsoft people have said there is a frequency limit for the graphics where everyone seems to agree things get weird. Haven't heard what that result is, but it could be more significant than regular ol' instability, and,

2., AMD's whole GPU number scheme seems to have gaps. It's possible that they weren't sure how to market/price these cards too far in advance of Ampere, which I do think is the main reason, but also, it's open to future market segmentation with RX 6x50 parts with tweaks and other little updates.

There are two reasons as far as I can tell:

1., Both Sony and Microsoft people have said there is a frequency limit for the graphics where everyone seems to agree things get weird. Haven't heard what that result is, but it could be more significant than regular ol' instability, and,

2., AMD's whole GPU number scheme seems to have gaps. It's possible that they weren't sure how to market/price these cards too far in advance of Ampere, which I do think is the main reason, but also, it's open to future market segmentation with RX 6x50 parts with tweaks and other little updates.

6950 (3)GHz Edition

Reactions: Axman
like this
Did someone say bungholio?
KsV3Rr0.jpg

What?

EDIT:

My observations -
1. That card is probably a binned chip. Not all 6800XT can achieve that or comes close to it.
2. It requires watercooling.
3. It costs $1k. For that money I would rather wait for the RTX 3080 ti, if there is one to come, or straight up 6900XT.

Though a 10% performance increase through OC is impressive indeed.

My observations -
1. That card is probably a binned chip. Not all 6800XT can achieve that or comes close to it.
2. It requires watercooling.
3. It costs $1k. For that money I would rather wait for the RTX 3080 ti, if there is one to come, or straight up 6900XT.

Though a 10% performance increase through OC is impressive indeed.
Lets just call it LN2 and be done with it.

Binned Chips for AIB high end cards with massive air coolers. But still, holy shit. Nvidia has got to be sweating bullets.

You folks are buying into the same hype that launched the 3900 on a poor footing. it is barely 10% higher performance (and only at 4k)

The 6800 XT is only 15% faster than the 6800, so I wouldn't expect 6900 XT to hit more than 10% faster. that will match the 3080 in non-rt Even The hyped-up stock clock difference from the two cards is only 3%

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

.Once we start to see more demanding RT games, this $999 card is gong to age quite ungracefully (6800 XT it currently trails the 3070 in any demanding game)

Last edited:
Back