AMD Radeon RX 6000 series for distributed computing

pututu

[H]ard DC'er of the Year 2021
Not sure if there is anyone interested in getting AMD Radeon RX 6000 series card for distributed computing. I know most of us have the green card. Please share any DC performance if you happen to get one or came across any website with the DC performance result.

My wild guess is that Einstein@home may see better result judging by the number of AMD cards running this project but I may be wrong. The RX5700 series seem to do well in this project.

Specs can be found from AMD website.

1603947961531.png

Looks interesting. Have there been any double precision numbers? And wow, I wasn't paying attention. This launch completely snuck up on me lol.

Wasn't mentioned in the presentation so maybe nothing to see there. From my past experience E@H benefits from faster memory bandwidth and with the infinity cache implementation, maybe this might help somewhat.

Typically AMD cards haven't seemed to live up to their theoretical potential, but this time around seems different. I would presume the main problem to be getting project devs to write/mod their apps to work with RDNA2.

Typically AMD cards haven't seemed to live up to their theoretical potential, but this time around seems different. I would presume the main problem to be getting project devs to write/mod their apps to work with RDNA2.
FAH just implemented CUDA on Nvidia GPUs recently, and there are thousands of Nvidia GPUs in use in FAH. It seemed to take them a very long time to figure that out, when there's been untapped performance waiting for optimization there.

It would seem even less likely they will optimize for RDNA2, but we can hope.

I have my eye on the RTX 3080, but would rather buy a 6800XT.

I'm wondering if that very high speed 128mb cache and SAM on the AMD 6000 series will have much affect on DC scores. I guess it will boil down to the number of projects that are memory dependent.

The instinct cards are designed more for compute these days. Some of the compute horsepower has been removed from RDNA to help gaming performance

Back