AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Reference Card

It performs well for the price compared to the competition. Slots just below the 3090 overall for $500 less. Bravo AMD!

It also does seem to share the same issue as the 6800 XT, it begins to choke after passing 1440p in some games. RT performance is also quite a bit weaker than Nvidia for those that care about the functionality.

Last edited:
Best Buy seems to have some stock, depending upon your store location. Same slow release deal though, randomly dropping a few every half hour or so all day

What I am predicting:
Spoiler: at xmas, AMD will release a xmas gift that will destroy Nvidia (ray tracing benchmarks)

So keep up the great work AMD!

Meh, not worth ~50% higher price than the 6800XT. 3090 price is crazy high, but at least you get extra VRAM for it. AMD is 10% more performance for $350 more lol.
compared to Nvidia price it is good... besides we know drivers get better with each release so I would not be worried.

I haven't even kept up.

Is it "available" now?

:p
Got mine first try this morning.
zzzz.png

I guess my definition of "Available" is when you can walk in off the street (or visit a page) at your leisure and they have them sitting in stock waiting for you.

If you have to show up at specific times, or stand in a line, or sit there refreshing a page wiating for them to po into stock, then they are not "available" :p

Comparable performance & faster in some cases than the 3090 at $500 dollars cheaper. I'd say AMD has a winner.

Yeah, the caveat is comparatively RT performance, and the lack of DLSS equivalent at launch (though they do say it is coming later)

I don't care all that much about RT performance today, but I ahve to admit that DLSS seems like a really cool tech, getting more with less.

Meh, not worth ~50% higher price than the 6800XT. 3090 price is crazy high, but at least you get extra VRAM for it. AMD is 10% more performance for $350 more lol.
lol, people poopood the 6800 for being $70 more than the 3070. At least the extra 8 gigs of memory on the 6800 didn't come with a $500 premium.

Damn, that's a real shame it's not any faster. This card is a terrible value compared to either the 3080, 6800xt, or the 3090 (if you're talking VRAM-heavy workloads).

It really depends.

When you are at 4k, 10% more performance can mean the difference between playable and unplayable framerates.

I'd happily pay an extra $350 for that.

Performance to cost curves have always been closer to exponential than they are linear. There should be no expectation that this generation would be any different.

looks good for the price point
Non sure many would agree, how does the 6900xt look good for the price point when compared to the 6800xt or even the 3800 ?

Touching first on the raw performance of this graphics card, the extra core count means the 6900 XT is, on average, 7% faster than the 6800 XT at 1440p, and 9% faster at 4K
Compared to the RTX 3080, the 6900 XT is 5% faster at 1440p, and
2% faster on average at 4K

The 3080 is 25% cheaper per frame.

The only way possible way for it to look good would be to compare it to an absolutely ridiculous card to use for gaming like a 3090 (but you cannot use the worst price point has a comparable to judge that something look good)

Non sure many would agree, how does the 6900xt look good for the price point when compared to the 6800xt or even the 3800 ?

Touching first on the raw performance of this graphics card, the extra core count means the 6900 XT is, on average, 7% faster than the 6800 XT at 1440p, and 9% faster at 4K
Compared to the RTX 3080, the 6900 XT is 5% faster at 1440p, and
2% faster on average at 4K

The 3080 is 25% cheaper per frame.

The only way possible way for it to look good would be to compare it to an absolutely ridiculous card to use for gaming like a 3090 (but you cannot use the worst price point has a comparable to judge that something look good)
yeah cause we all know that performance does not improve with drivers and in some cases it is faster than NVIDIA at 1500 bux...

1607451748389.png

Yeah, I am watching GN's review and the boost over the 6800 XT seems really marginal for the price jump. Same amount of VRAM...doesn't seem like a good value. The 3090 was never a good value even when it was the only card to consider at the top end for VRAM.

EDIT: Their conclusion was, just buy a 6800 XT or 3080 instead.

Last edited:
yeah cause we all know that performance does not improve with drivers and in some cases it is faster than NVIDIA at 1500 bux...
Would you disagree that the NVIDIA at 1,500 is by far the worst looking performance in game for the price offering right now (in competition to be in all time), why choose has a point of comparison that absolute worst FPS/$ by a large margin and then conclude it look good from that ?

yeah cause we all know that performance does not improve with drivers
I suspect they will nicely over time (at least for some title, maybe less for the Dirt 5 of the world), but considering how similar the 6800xt is, why would it improve significantly more on the 6900xt than on the 6800xt ? And with the same VRram it is hard to imagine the difference to growth over time on that aspect.

Since the 1080Ti days I am not sure any flagship card looked good for the price point at gaming, the 6900xt will probably cost more than 2.75 playstation 5.

If you spend $1500 on a video card with roughly 10% performance over a $700 option, I will never feel sorry for you. Then again, anyone dumping that kind of money on a marginal performance gain probably doesn’t care either.

Good chuckle from post.Last vacation taken was over $10,000.Personal attendant for the week bla bla bla.
More enjoyment from fiddling around with pc parts.Cheaper also.

View attachment 306889

Average of 22 games @ 4K from the same source. 6900 XT is only 2% faster than the 3080. And only within 1% at 1080p and 1440p.

You can hope for performance to improve at a greater rate on AMD than Nvidia (historically they typically are), but there is no guarantee on that.
TPU's results have been VERY suspect when I look at the review scene as a whole. In no way would I rely on its testing and review results. It is surely the "one man out" when compared to many others.

If you spend $1500 on a video card with roughly 10% performance over a $700 option, I will never feel sorry for you. Then again, anyone dumping that kind of money on a marginal performance gain probably doesn’t care either.
This it is a bit like feeling sorry for someone that just bought new fancy tire's for their porsche and a new better model just got out.

If some young person is putting that kind of money on a credit card and struggling to pay it, I think we can feel sorry even if it was a nice +30% performance over the $700, but I imagine they are all very rich people.

compared to Nvidia price it is good... besides we know drivers get better with each release so I would not be worried.
Not when you get RT involved.

Within a year, more-demanding RT games are going to all be slower-performing than the (cheaper) 3080.

The target-market of this card is really hard to define (same vram as 6800, so no real $300 value there).

Last edited:
TPU's results have been VERY suspect when I look at the review scene as a whole. In no way would I rely on its testing and review results. It is surely the "one man out" when compared to many others.
Only used TPU as it was the same source as the person I was quoting used.

Another source (TechSpot) that has slightly different but still close numbers for 4K:

1607453498351.png

Here it is 4% faster than the 3080 and 5.5% slower than the 3090 @ 4K. But where it differs more from TPU is the 1080p/1440p results where the difference is as much as 10% over the 3080 compared to TPU's 1%. I think much of it also comes down to which games are used in the benchmark suite.

Last edited:
Was hoping AMD might have killed it with this, and while for the price it’s an amazing piece of hardware, I was hoping they would have taken the performance crown for once. I’m still Happy with my RTX 3090 purchase. Yeah, it’s more expensive, but this is [H] and it’s still the fastest.

Back