AMD Radeon 6700 XT Launch Live Stream - 10am 3/3/21

zzzzz.png

But is it selling at MSRP in stores???
It will at AMD.com and a couple of AIBs have told me they are targeting MSRP at launch time. The problem with this all is that AMD has no direct legal control over AIB pricing, and AIBs have no direct legal control over retailer pricing. I do know for a fact that AMD's BOM kit pricing has enabled AIBs to hit MSRP. Now whether or not that happens is anyone's guess.

The big question of the time is availability? Has AMD planned, had enough time to up the production of RNDA2 22 chips to at least make a dent in the market? Have to start watching some of the review out to see how she performs.

The big question of the time is availability? Has AMD planned, had enough time to up the production of RNDA2 22 chips to at least make a dent in the market? Have to start watching some of the review out to see how she performs.
Talking to some AIBs, it sounds like there is a very large number coming into the channel on launch day. Possibly 5X more than we saw on 6800 launch day. Now whether or not that makes a dent in being able to get one considering demand, again, who knows?

Talking to some AIBs, it sounds like there is a very large number coming into the channel on launch day. Possibly 5X more than we saw on 6800 launch day. Now whether or not that makes a dent in being able to get one considering demand, again, who knows?
If they're done in some manner that makes it difficult for bots to just hoover them up (newegg shuffle or BB walk-ins only style) then it might help. Anything that goes to amazon might as well be just going straight to ebay.

Any clue on review embargo? I would like to see reviews prior to sale on March 18th. otherwise, buying blind. Want to see how this compares for 5700/5700XT.

Interested in this. Just hoping stock outs won't be as bad as Nvidia's recent lineup. Ha, recent. 3*** series has been out for 5 to 6 months now, and there's still an insane stock problem. Let's hope AMD has a better strategy here.

Edit : Nvm, same thing is going to apply.

zu5v5s0.png

Last edited:
Who needs scalpers when AMD charges $479 for a 6700 XT? Why didn't AMD just price it at $499, because it'll never be $479? What's with the insane pricing with both AMD and Nvidia? First Nvidia with the RTX 3060 that costs the same as a RTX 2060 Super and performs the same, and now AMD's RX 6700 XT at not too far cheaper than the RX 6800. Can't get any of these cards so why even care. Intel save us from these overpriced GPU's that nobody can buy.

Who needs scalpers when AMD charges $479 for a 6700 XT? Why didn't AMD just price it at $499, because it'll never be $479? What's with the insane pricing with both AMD and Nvidia? First Nvidia with the RTX 3060 that costs the same as a RTX 2060 Super and performs the same, and now AMD's RX 6700 XT at not too far cheaper than the RX 6800. Can't get any of these cards so why even care. Intel save us from these overpriced GPU's that nobody can buy.
Well if MSRP means nothing, and you can't buy it, what are you really complaining about?

in addition to the simultaneous launch by board partners and its own cards, AMD said it has lined up more than 40 system builders and OEMs who plan to offer prebuilt PCs with the Ryzen RX 6700 XT. While scalpers and miners have no issues employing bots to grab etail GPUs, they’ve been reluctant to buy whole systems to get them

https://www.pcworld.com/article/360...-xt-reveal.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
Yeah, I am not going to lie, I bet a lot of folks are buying prebuilts here soon and parting out the rest of the system to get the GPU they want.

I paid $425 for a 5700XT near the end of 2019...it's going for around $900 on Ebay right now...and is completely unavailable in the retail channel. I'd say a faster card with newer tech at $479 is a goddamn steal. They could price these at $900+ on launch day and they'd sell out. Whether they had 10 cards or 10 million.

Yeah, I am not going to lie, I bet a lot of folks are buying prebuilts here soon and parting out the rest of the system to get the GPU they want.
I've thought about getting an RTX 3000 series laptop....any of them...and just yanking the entire guts out and slapping it into a desktop case, adding cooling until it can run at max TDP.

There's a 3060 in todays newegg shuffle for $399. https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle
There's also a 6800 for $939 and a 6800XT for $1149...

ugh
NVIDIA pushed AIBs to sell the 3060 at MSRP for a couple of weeks. After that, I think you will see those disappear. Marketing move to try to shed some of the bad PR about high prices. Makes sense. I would guess AMD is trying to do the same thing with 6700 XT cards, but AMD just does not have the control over the market that NVIDIA commands.

If I had realized exactly how much the prices were going to moon and staying, I may have. There was a lan center in the mall that started liquidation right before Christmas. Had a fairly decent specced desktop with a 3070 in it for $999. But I thought it wasn’t going to be worth the trouble of parting the rest out while hoping supply would get better sometime this year. Still rocking a Fury X but slowly the pump is making a bit more noise and starting to drive me crazy.

What a year. We've gone from the 5600XT's being the ultimate 1080p gaming card to the 6700XT being the card for the 1440p sweet spot.

I can hope this will be a strong competitor for 3070 and definitely 3060 Ti / 3060 in gaming. I'm assuming that in mining it will be less desirable compared to 3000 series NV (aside from 3060 which is intentionally hobbled in this regard), much like the 6800 and 6900 series? Or perhaps its price/performance (for both gaming and mining ) will be sufficient? In an era where 3070s are roughly 600-800+ , perhaps this will provide a much better offering price wise if they can stick it? Also, I wish AMD could wrangle the prices of their AIBs for the 6800 and 6900 series which, especially post tariff have jumped significantly.

Also, I didn't see the stream but no chance AMD talked about investing in raytracing implementations (including development for things like Vulkan RT to be favorable/friendly to the RDNA2 way of doing things for both these GPUs and consoles), an open alternative to DLSS, and open alternative to NVEnc / hardware streaming codecs? Nvidia has pretty much directed their entire PR war at "RTX , DLSS, NVEnc - only with Nvidia!" and it seems to be taking quite a long time for AMD to mount a response which is disappointing. I know they won't necessarily "beat" NV across the board in things like RT thanks to design differences but they need to at least be competitive rather than let NV frame the conversation that AMD lacks "the tech that gamers need".

You can buy a Dell G5 with any flavor of the 3000 series for almost what you can find the 3000 series going for online ATM.

I paid $425 for a 5700XT near the end of 2019...it's going for around $900 on Ebay right now...and is completely unavailable in the retail channel. I'd say a faster card with newer tech at $479 is a goddamn steal. They could price these at $900+ on launch day and they'd sell out. Whether they had 10 cards or 10 million.
is the 6700xt faster than the 5700xt?

I can hope this will be a strong competitor for 3070 and definitely 3060 Ti / 3060 in gaming. I'm assuming that in mining it will be less desirable compared to 3000 series NV (aside from 3060 which is intentionally hobbled in this regard), much like the 6800 and 6900 series? Or perhaps its price/performance (for both gaming and mining ) will be sufficient? In an era where 3070s are roughly 600-800+ , perhaps this will provide a much better offering price wise if they can stick it? Also, I wish AMD could wrangle the prices of their AIBs for the 6800 and 6900 series which, especially post tariff have jumped significantly.

Also, I didn't see the stream but no chance AMD talked about investing in raytracing implementations (including development for things like Vulkan RT to be favorable/friendly to the RDNA2 way of doing things for both these GPUs and consoles), an open alternative to DLSS, and open alternative to NVEnc / hardware streaming codecs? Nvidia has pretty much directed their entire PR war at "RTX , DLSS, NVEnc - only with Nvidia!" and it seems to be taking quite a long time for AMD to mount a response which is disappointing. I know they won't necessarily "beat" NV across the board in things like RT thanks to design differences but they need to at least be competitive rather than let NV frame the conversation that AMD lacks "the tech that gamers need".
Yeah developing that sort of tech is costly, and AMD doesn't have the resources to solo tackle most of that tech at the moment, they would need to partner with somebody who has a vested interest in getting NVidia out of that space, DirectML is making some good inroads against CUDA but that would only be a start as then somebody would need to take the time to use DML to actually then build their own encoders, DLSS, and features. This is still a long way out but I would think that Microsoft is working on it internally to eventually roll into DirectX.

Yeah developing that sort of tech is costly, and AMD doesn't have the resources to solo tackle most of that tech at the moment,
I don't think everyone understands just how big a deal this is. AMD does not have close to the resources that NVIDIA or Intel have and this is a huge deficit for them when it comes to competing. Quite frankly, I am surprised that AMD is competing how well it is when it comes to the current market.

I don't think everyone understands just how big a deal this is. AMD does not have close to the resources that NVIDIA or Intel have and this is a huge deficit for them when it comes to competing. Quite frankly, I am surprised that AMD is competing how well it is when it comes to the current market.
I get why people crap all over NVidia for their proprietary technologies, GSync, CUDA, DLSS, and blah blah blah, but if they are going to spend millions of billions on development they deserve to reap the rewards of it, there needs to be some sort of ROI on those sort of investments otherwise why would a business undertake them.

I'm gonna try and order one on launch. We'll only have about a 5-10 min window. but my only problem is if i get lucky and get one of these on the 18th i hope it'll hook up to my gsync monitor lol. If not i'll just return it or sell it. (below $500)

Seem like just great news all around, the performance MSRP ratio, it is still TSMC 7nm but it is a 335 mm die instead of a 520 mm one according to: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-navi-22.g951, so it should help overall volume, you can make 3 of them on the die space of 2 NAVI 21.

Specially if they sell them via pre-build

Makes me very thankful that I grabbed a decent non blower 5700 XT for a good price Canadian when they where still new but before GPU pricing went to loonie town.

Even AT MSRP.... this card is almost $150 (Canadian) more then I paid for my 5700 XT what seems like ages ago now but I guess was only really a little over year ago or so I guess. And ya as everyone is saying this is likely going to be 20-30% over MSRP on a good day. If the bench mark leaks are true and this is 20% faster then the 5700... great I guess its the EXACT same value as its also 20% more expensive. Nice to see GPUs have went no where in terms of value for the dollar.

Yes Intel can't get into this game fast enough.

Although I can't imagine Intel won't just price to the market as well, I doubt any crazy 3 way price war would happen anyway. I wasn't really planning to replace my 5700 the very next cycle anyway... but man at this rate I have a feeling a 7700 is going to come in with a MSRP of $579 and I'll end up with a 5 year old GPU down the road and still have to say nope can't justify that upgrade. lol

I might try to get one at launch, if this is true. I really wanted a 6800xt but I dont think it is going to happen this year at anything close to MSRP.

Sounds like a good idea and looks like it will have a lot of legs overclock wise based on rumors/leaks.

Makes me very thankful that I grabbed a decent non blower 5700 XT for a good price Canadian when they where still new but before GPU pricing went to loonie town.

Even AT MSRP.... this card is almost $150 (Canadian) more then I paid for my 5700 XT what seems like ages ago now but I guess was only really a little over year ago or so I guess. And ya as everyone is saying this is likely going to be 20-30% over MSRP on a good day.

Yes Intel can't get into this game fast enough.

Although I can't imagine Intel won't just price to the market as well, I doubt any crazy 3 way price war would happen anyway. I wasn't really planning to replace my 5700 the very next cycle anyway... but man at this rate I have a feeling a 7700 is going to come in with a MSRP of $579 and I'll end up with a 5 year old GPU down the road and still have to say nope can't justify that upgrade. lol
Intel can't exactly price to the market, because they are basically an unknown entry into the ring, they are the ultimate underdog. Their brand is actually a detriment to their product, and they have years of stigma against their drivers, and manufacturing process to go against. They will price their first commercial launch in a way to get them a foothold, then gradually increase prices from there to reach a stage of price/performance equilibrium with the others, hopefully, it brings them all lower but anything to get more product to the market the better.

Well if MSRP means nothing, and you can't buy it, what are you really complaining about?
Life is effort and I'll stop when I die! I wasn't wrong about the 5700's and RTX 2000's when I said nobody bought them because they were over priced even before COVID. Of course now everybody and their grandma is buying a GPU so prices don't matter anymore. I hope to someday buy a GPU for a fair price, which is obviously not 2021. I will skip the RDNA2 and Ampere generation because the situation is nuts. AMD's and Nvidia's actions today will influence the price of GPU's for 2022 and 2023, which I'm certain the GTX 1060 will still be the most popular GPU on Steam by then. Most gamers on Steam use sub $250 graphic cards. Not $500, not $400, not even $300 but $250. Who is AMD marketing the 6700 XT towards because it doesn't seem like gamers?
v8U7BdU.png
Those people on Ebay are hunting for idiots with prices at $900. I'm not sure how successful they are with their idiot fishing but I'm not going to compare Ebay prices to MSRP and start calling it a deal. I could post my Vega 56 for $2k and make the $900 5700XT look like a great deal, but that's Ebay and nobody should be going by those prices above MSRP for buying a graphics card to play games. Also Bitcoin is now worth around $50k, so not everyone is buying these cards to play games.

Also I know the 5700 XT's were going for around $325 before COVID started, so I have doubts you paid $425 for a 5700 XT. This was the conundrum of RDNA1.0 because nobody bought the 5700's and the prices fell, especially the 5700 XT because you can bios flash a 5700 into a 5700 XT. Then AMD releases the 5600XT for $280, which they must have been ignoring the market value of the 5700's because those cards at some point have fallen bellow $300. Of course now a 5700 has gone to bazinga prices but those prices shouldn't be taken serious.

Back