AMD or Intel CPU?

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hi All, as I have found my side rendering business taking off a bit, my secondary system is getting a little long in the tooth. I have to able to render at decent times and the 5960x just isn't cutting it anymore (even with an RTX Titan in it) The 5960x has been my go-to CPU for a long time before I got my 3970x. I wanted to upgrade to either a 12900kf or a 5900/5950x system to replace my secondary 5960x system. That will def help rendering times when paired with my RTX Titan. I also wanted to ask about DDR4 vs DDR5. I have not kept up with the Intel CPUs just for the simple fact that I upgrade every 6 or 7 years and don't focus on the minutia as I do with graphics cards. I have heard good stuff about the new Intel 12900kf but that DDR5 performance is negligible.

I am keeping my 3970x system as my primary and not switching anything, this is just for my secondary system.

Please no flame war. I am a fan of both and usually let me wallet dictate the terms. I have roughly $2000 to spend.

Thank you in advance.

Either one anymore. My preference is always more cores>speed. I have an AMD3950 and a 12700k system. Like them both. IF you can hold out, the new AMD chips are coming out this year. Just an idea.

I think you'll find a Ryzen 5950X vs Intel 12900K to be fairly close. I suspect that in your use-case, the 5950X will win by a bit. Are you in a rush to update your secondary? because in 6-9 months I think we can expect Zen 4 in an AM4 socket, so you'd be at the start of a generation rather than the end.

I’ve never had a problem with Intel in any of my PC builds, so haven’t considered switching to AMD.
Same here. I've used both Intel and AMD and have seen Intel be more reliable/stable in my builds.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 12900k has been significantly less stable than my 5950x setup. I chalk it up to early platform issues, but it's annoying nonetheless. I've contemplated switching back over once a week since I built my current rig.

IF you are looking to upgrade right now; I'd go with a 5950X hands down for what you are looking to do. As a matter of a fact, I went from a 5960x to a 5950X. It's a solid platform and the last generation of AM4 chips. The new intel's are not bad either, but you will have the early adopter issues and DDR5 is not worth it for the price right now vs. DDR4. If you are somehow set on the new Intel, I'd recommend a DDR4 board based on your budget.

As others mentioned, if you can wait, both Intel and AMD are releasing new CPUs this year, but as with anything PC build wise, there is ALWAYS something around the corner.

My 12900k has been significantly less stable than my 5950x setup. I chalk it up to early platform issues, but it's annoying nonetheless. I've contemplated switching back over once a week since I built my current rig.
I haven't had too many issues with my personal 12900K system or the one on the test bench right now.

I haven't had too many issues with my personal 12900K system or the one on the test bench right now.

Project lasso won't allow me to wake from sleep resulting in having to hit the reset button every time. And the memory controller has been suspect for me (DDR4 3600). Won't run 1T except on older bios versions. Same memory on my 5950x would tighten to Cas 16 with no issues. I thought about just selling the motherboard and trying DDR5 now that it's a little cheaper and more available.

Project lasso won't allow me to wake from sleep resulting in having to hit the reset button every time. And the memory controller has been suspect for me (DDR4 3600). Won't run 1T except on older bios versions. Same memory on my 5950x would tighten to Cas 16 with no issues. I thought about just selling the motherboard and trying DDR5 now that it's a little cheaper and more available.
I have had more issues with the DDR4 board I'm testing than the DDR5 setup in my system. There may be something to that. I don't know yet.

I have had more issues with the DDR4 board I'm testing than the DDR5 setup in my system. There may be something to that. I don't know yet.

I'd be interested to see what your findings are.

Same here, DDR5 giving me all sorts of issues. I get an Event 1 WHEA once a week at 100% stock settings. Already returned and replaced the CPU. Finding stability on RAM is a huge issue. I had the DDR4 version of Z690 and was surprisingly stable.

What do you use for rendering (cpu-gpu mix, sometime pure CPU) ?

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-12th-gen/6.html

A 12900K a 5ghz seem quite similar to 5950x, so maybe the choice depending on what you do would be on the available motherboard/platform more than the cpu themselves (or the wanted cooling solution which could differ here possibly).

dering-Performance-BMW-Intel-12th-gen-Core-680x383.jpg

Same here, DDR5 giving me all sorts of issues. I get an Event 1 WHEA once a week at 100% stock settings. Already returned and replaced the CPU. Finding stability on RAM is a huge issue. I had the DDR4 version of Z690 and was surprisingly stable.
I've had some similar issues, but I've been able to trace them back to specific software issues regarding Windows 11 and other software. That being said, I've had a number of problems with the DDR4 board, mainly getting memory to behave correctly. That is, I can rarely get it to clock like it should, detect correctly, and things like that. However, the latest BIOS update seems to have resolved that.

Side note: Some older CPU benchmarks will absolutely crater the system running Alder Lake-S. I had that happen with an older version of V-Ray. Instant BSOD with that.

I've had some similar issues, but I've been able to trace them back to specific software issues regarding Windows 11 and other software. That being said, I've had a number of problems with the DDR4 board, mainly getting memory to behave correctly. That is, I can rarely get it to clock like it should, detect correctly, and things like that. However, the latest BIOS update seems to have resolved that.

Now that I think of it, my teamgroup Vulcan Z kit failed on my Gigabyte Z690 DDR4 board causing me having to replace the pair and RMA. It ran at the same exact timings on my AMD 5950x rig for a year no issues.

Go with AMD for rendering. The heat in the 12900 can be in issue. Amd will be in the 60-70s and intel will be on the 80-90s. Also depending on your renderer, AMD is faster like in vray.

Back