AMD InWin 301 Custom Loop

Nobu

[H]F Junkie
This one could take a while, just due to the difficulty. Going to be stuffing an mATX motherboard and a 280mm res into the InWin 301, hopefully without any permanant modification to the case.

So far, I've stripped out everything I can without cutting or drilling, including the front panel connectors, fan shroud, and hard drive brackets. I would have liked to remove the PSU shroud, but it's formed from the same piece of metal as the mb tray (so I'd have to cut it out).

The 280 rad fits easily with the hdd cage removed, but the ears on the front panel module which the plastic cable support piece screws into interfere with it, pushing it out beyond the glass side panel of the case. I could cut them off, but for now I just nixxed the whole module.

Next problem is securing the rad in the case...the fan bracket had to go–it's designed for 120 fans, has bends which interfere with the rad, and would push it out too far into the motherboard's area. With that gone, there's absolutely nothing to secure the rad in the case. There are some screw holes on the mb tray and up front where the fan bracket was secured, but they don't line up with the fan screws, so I'll have to figure something else for that.

Anyway, this will be a slow project, but I'm hoping it turns out alright. Here's a sneak peek of what's to come (that reflection, tho...):

IMG_20200821_225713045.jpg

Edit: without the sidepanel:

IMG_20200822_022044500~2.jpg

Managed to make a simple bracket for the radiator. It's still able to swing, but at least it's not falling all about the place. D:

Last edited:
Reactions: Folly
like this
Photo of makeshift rad bracket added to op.

Ordered MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI for build. Unfortunately doesn't support gen1 ryzen, so I'll have to upgrade :( .

In process of disassembling and cleaning loop.

The MSI is out, was going to be mid oct before I got it. Ordered (and received) the Asus B550M-A/CSM instead.

Not much progress here, but I've measured the case and sketched the design (for one side) of my fan bracket. Going to try to have it made somewhere, but if that falls through I'll just get some metal nibblers and a sheet of alu/steel and do it myself.

IMG_20200911_223153322~2.jpg

So, pretty simple– 360mm is the total case height, 170 is width. Need 15-30mm to clear the bottom of radiator, 280x140mm for the fans (not in drawing), and the extra space (~50mm on top and 25mm on the side) is wiggle-room. Just need to decide where I want to bend the back side to allow air to more freely exhaust though the side panel.

The right-side and top drawings will consist mostly of tabs for securing the shroud to the case, and maybe some feet, as there are few candidates with the plastics and drive bay removed.

Once I have my sketch done, I'll transfer the drawing to a cad program, and get some quotes on it. Worst case I could ask someone to print it up for me in plastic, I guess. lol

Drew out the right side and top views. The four floating dots in the RS view are where screws will go into the psu shroud and front end of the case. Still need to find the final angle on the slanted piece–20° isn't going to work, going to come up a bit short of the mb tray. Just need to do some math, dun feel like it. lol

The top 30mm or so will be open, because that part is cut away to attach it to the front of the psu shroud. That will allow me to rout hoses or cables out of that cavity, but also lets a lot of air into the PSU cavity. Not sure if that will be a real problem, but if it is I can figure out a solution later.

IMG_20200912_143838298.jpg

Reactions: Folly
like this
Worked it out in openSCAD:

fanBRKT.jpg

Found a few errors in my dimensions, but otherwise everything looks good. Need to double check the dimensions, especially relating to the position of the mb tray and the distance from the front of the case to the back. Only 20mm on the part that attaches to the PSU shroud...might just leave that out, especially if I can attach to the back of the mb tray somehow.

Going to try drawing this in solvespace this weekend. An interesting program, been a couple years since the last release, but it does look like development is still happening on github, and it does export to a format I can send to someone to make a part, so I'll give it a shot. Draw it up, export, and view it in eDrawings to verify it exported correctly, is the plan.

So, eDrawnings doesn't work in wine...Autodesk viewer works in firefox, though!
Exported to .stl:
brkt-stl.jpg

Looks good! Exported to .step:
brkt-step.jpg

...hwat? Don't know if bug in how solvespace exports .step files, or how Autodesk Viewer reads them, but it's not "correct" either way...tried with both stable and master builds of solvespace, so I'm not sure where to go from here. :/

Edit: huh, if I set it to section view it looks just fine...must be a bug in Autodesk?

Last edited:
Finished drawing, confirmed all dimensions (had to change the hole spacing slightly, everything else looks good), exported front, top and 3D views to .step format, and emailed to Protocase for review and possibly updated quote. Unless I flubbed somewhere, should be looking at about $132 for the thing in stainless after the setup fee. If I reorder the same part without making any changes, they wont charge the setup fee again, so a bulk order isn't out of the question later if there's enough interest.

That is [H], man.
:cool:

Realized I didn't account for the width of the rad like I thought I did, and the screw holes somehow ended up in the wrong spot, and also was informed that the edges would have to be notched around the fan holes because they are too close to the edge.

So! Redid the fan holes, square this time, reducing the width a bit to allow more material around the edges where it bends. Also increased the width of the center section a bit, to allow the rad to fit, and re-aligned the holes so they take into account the thickness of the material, etc.. And finally, reduced the gap on the bottom from 30 to 20 (because I only need ~13), and added 0.5mm space between the fans (because rad fan spacing).

Will probably post pics later, but it's late now, and they're not too interesting anyway. Looks like $150 will be the total after shipping. Not fantastic, but then it's a one-off in stainless steel. ;)

Sounds like a lot, lol. I would have just 3d-printed it to test fitment then went to lowes or home depot and got some aluminum sheets and bet/cut it by hand. Then again I'm a cheap ass. Looking forward to checking everything out when it's done though!

Sounds like a lot, lol. I would have just 3d-printed it to test fitment then went to lowes or home depot and got some aluminum sheets and bet/cut it by hand. Then again I'm a cheap ass. Looking forward to checking everything out when it's done though!
Yeah, but I'm an impatient, lazy SoG. :p

I'm pretty confident in my measurements, anyway, and left a bit of room for error. If it's not correct between front and mb tray, I can trim some off the left side (as viewed from front). If the width isn't right, I just need to adjust the two bends on the right side or add some spacers.

Ed.: Order in, $135-ish, but I think they forgot to include shipping so maybe add $15 to that. Should receive drawings for approval in a day or two, then I'll get an est. ship date.

Ed.2: Final drawing received/approved, est. ship date Tuesday next week, so I'll probably have it by Saturday, maybe Monday.

Ed.3: Part shipped, should arrive some time next week, assuming it doesn't get stuck in Canadian/US customs.

Last edited:
Holy shit fedex, Nova Scotia to my doorstep in Louisiana in 2 days, 7 hrs. o_o

Had to put in some cuts that I wasn't expecting (but probably should have), but it fits just about like I had imagined. Need to shove the radiator over a bit so it doesn't overlap (needs to clear the part I cut, first photo, top right), but if I can manage that I'm golden.

IMG_20201002_102359743~2.jpg
IMG_20201002_102434082~2.jpg

So after enlarging the fan screw holes (to push the rad over), cutting a corner, and drilling one hole in the wrong spot and two just a hair too high/low, I've got the radiator and fans secured in the case (on one side, but I'm fine with that). The screw holes on the glass panel side are threaded, so I could reuse the original screws there (once I properly located the holes).

Hooked up the PSU and fans, closed it up, and turned on for a test run. After all this work, I had to see the results! Well...it's a radiator with some fans, so not too exciting, but air was coming out the exhaust holes so I was satisfied. Quite a lot, but at 100% I'd hope so.

To do:
1) Cut out holes in top of bracket so I can use the front rad ports.
2) Steal my 3400G so I can test the MB.
3) Plumb up the loop and fill-er-up.
4) Run some stress tests to check the effectiveness of the cooling system.

Will probably leave my dGPU out until I get the CPU I plan to keep in the system. Will make the loop layout simpler and reduce clutter in the case from extra cables and components. I already have nowhere to mount a hdd, so I'll have to figure something out there – thinking I want to use a fATX or TFX PSU to give more room in the PSU shroud, and use my icydock, but for now they'll prob just sit on the floor of the shroud or the case.

IMG_20201003_160138337.jpg
IMG_20201003_160155639.jpg

Assembled, mostly. Need a 140mm mount for my pump, a cpu, and somewhere to put the HDDs. Recycling some nzxt case fans I had, barely fit in the bottom. Wanted to use the CM JetFlo fans I had, but all the ears broke off one of the two, and I'm not using just one fan.

Oh, and this thing is a monster. Doesn't even have water, a gpu, HDDs, and the coldplates, and it weighs 24.6 lbs. It'll probably top 35 lbs once it's complete. Dunno how you guys with the gigantic steel cases do it. lol

Last edited:
Dude: At least 80 lbs and I HATE when I have to movie it. Fortunately my need to move it is very infrequent.

Looking at picture... man, I need to dust down here - It's normally pretty dimly lit down here, and thus you can't see it in normal circumstances. The camera flash really brings it out, though :(

WP_20201004_11_42_13_Pro.jpg

Reactions: Nobu
like this
May have to pivot from custom loop to airflow mod unless I get my hands on a tiny 600w psu and put the pump in the attic, or get a gpu bracket and flip it. Started planning out tube routing, and realized the place I planned to put the pump would definitely be in the way of the gpu. :/

Oh, guess I could get one of those cpu/pump units, but I really want to use my ddc. Will have to think about it...

Edit: yeah, gpu leaves just enough room to squeeze in the power connector between it and the radiator. And it takes two slots so I can't use the second PCIe slot, pushing my wifi card down into the third slot (the space which the fans on the floor occupy). The search for a gpu bracket which maintains use of the other slots begins! D:

Edit2:
mnpctech stage1/2– Good quality, but too thick, expensive...
Thingiverse bracket– even thicker, but maybe less expensive. Could mod so spacers aren't req'd.
EZDIY-FAB bracket– Cheap! (Flimsy?) Comes with riser cable and various other parts. May add too much length to gpu, can't be installed anywhere but over pcie slots.

Bracket's on the backburner for now. I can get by with wifi in bottom slot, and I don't need my sas card since I can't put the icydock in yet anyway. Main problem is pump location...will prob remove reservoir and install pump there.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Power out at the house, so can't test the loop, need a cpu to throw in the socket, and need to temp reinstall the oem cooler on the gpu, but here's how it looks so far:

IMG_20201011_121354813~2 (2).jpg

Used my nzxt pump top because the xrevo wouldn't mount up on the bracket and I misplaced it's gasket.

Power back on finally, so lemme giv'er a whirl. Filled loop with tap water, and...wouldn't bleed for nothin'! Figured, because rad upside down. Flipped case on head and...still nothin' doin'. Suckin air like a bass outta water (although not cavitating as bad anymore). Drop of soap fixed that like magic.

Now, after adding water (to bottom of rad) and cycling power a few times, buttoned up the rad and flipped back on feet. Topped up my (almost useless) fill tube and started burping from that end, which worked surprisingly well. Now it's running soapy smoothly right-side up.

Gonna leave it running over night, then drain and put in the primochill sysprep mixture and repeat the process. After that, I'll be all ready for the processor...just gotta get one.

Alright, gettin' there–well, sort of...

There are some obvious changes here, and some not so obvious:
1.) Got a 450w EVGA SFX modular PSU installed.
2.) Ripped out the water loop. When I wasn't having trouble priming the loop, it was leaking from every possible spot except the blocks and the radiator. I'll reintro later, but for now I installed the stock cooler (CPU & deshrouded GPU).
3.) Moved wifi card above GPU with a riser card. Works great, but will be getting a shorter cable for it.
4.) Installed two Rosewill 120mm Hyperborea fans in the bottom as intake.
5.) Got an AlphaCool Eislicht RGB light bar, installed in the back corner behind the front fans. It's 12VGRB, so compatible with the second header on my board, but I need an adaptor cable because it's got a male connector (same as the mb header) and the cable is a bit short. Supposedly has a diffuser over the LEDs, but they're so bright and close to the diffuser it doesn't help a lot. Still, good quality, I like it.

IMG_20201215_211008486.jpg

Last edited:
Back