AMD HD sound?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
I saw a video about a guy who reclaimed a damaged Zen chip (5000/7000) I can't remember and he lost a pin or two but explained that it was only for HD-Audio do it didn't matter. This is the first I ever heard of it. What is it and why?

I saw a video about a guy who reclaimed a damaged Zen chip (5000/7000) I can't remember and he lost a pin or two but explained that it was only for HD-Audio do it didn't matter. This is the first I ever heard of it. What is it and why?
perhaps you meant this?

https://videocardz.com/newz/lucky-r...ocessor-with-bent-pins-that-he-got-for-just-3

In that link, they explain that some of Ryzen pin has certain function and if it's broken then that particular function will not work:

AMD4-PINOUT-1.jpg

perhaps you meant this?

https://videocardz.com/newz/lucky-r...ocessor-with-bent-pins-that-he-got-for-just-3

In that link, they explain that some of Ryzen pin has certain function and if it's broken then that particular function will not work:

View attachment 545338
Sure I gather that it won't work, but what is it? Does it impact any part on onboard sound? Why is it there? Does software make use of it and will benefit an AMD system? First for me to know there was any part of the CPU that was affecting sound.
I remember a while back (ATi 2000 series, 2600XT) that they pushed advanced sound. Died a quick death, no?

A modern x86 CPU has an awful lot of stuff on it. Sound card, SATA, some of them have ethernet too. HD audio is just the latest standard for onboard audio.

Sure I gather that it won't work, but what is it? Does it impact any part on onboard sound? Why is it there? Does software make use of it and will benefit an AMD system? First for me to know there was any part of the CPU that was affecting sound.
I remember a while back (ATi 2000 series, 2600XT) that they pushed advanced sound. Died a quick death, no?
I think it's more of onboard audio connected to the motherboard (probably for sound output if the platform is using APU or any integrated graphics).
So if that particular pins broken, then it can't output the sound if HDMI connected to the mobo (in this case using APU), but still can output sound through GPU or mobo chipset / onboard sound.

Back