AMD FSR even in unsupported games

biggles

2[H]4U

Has anyone tried this yet? Supposed to allow FSR on way more games than are officially supported.

I bought the Lossless Scaling with the FSR update .. seems to work on Fortnite well .

Fortnite does have a benchmark that I know of , so all I can do is show game footage but I believe it drops to 720p on 1080p panel .

Fortnite does have a benchmark that I know of , so all I can do is show game footage but I believe it drops to 720p on 1080p panel .
Oh okay then. How about some rough fps numbers before and after FSR? And what GPU are you running?

I watch a video and you set the game to the next lowest resolution from your display which I have a 1920 x 1080p 165hz dp and I set the game to 1680 x 1050 and it upscales back to 1920 x 1080p .. It still needs a little work .

crazycrave
Dude 32" @1080 that is not good to begin with for a PC monitor,especially at 1680x1050. I watched your video and see that 1680x1050 at low/medium settings is good enough to play a PC game. i am not sure any magic could make the resolution better.

Sorry not trying to be a dick,I was going to buy the program and make a video but I could not bring myself to do it.Thanks for sharing the video.Good Job

gerardfraser , With the updates to Cyberpunk 2077 I found that it runs better at native 1080p with the same settings that I using then running Loseless .

Last edited:
Just as an FYI you can run AMD FSR on any Proton game for Linux (and that means steamdeck eventually) using the: WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 %command% in the steam game launch properties menu.

And it doesn't cost anything to copy and paste :p

Last edited:
Just as an FYI you can run AMD FSR on any Proton game for Linux (and that means steamdeck eventually) using the: WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 %command% in the steam game launch properties menu.

And it doesn't cost anything to copy and paste :p
Ewwww, desktop Linux...

So I did some tests with FSR and Cyberpunk on Proton. With Linux you can add FSR to any game and it seems to work alright.

I was able to boost performance from 72 fps to 95 fps, and it still looks pretty good. Text is a bit softer, but not unacceptable.

The last image is with the older CAS filter, which still does an okay job. Performance is the same as with FSR (95 fps) but I think the FSR image looks a lot better.

In the screenshot the difference looks minimal, but in motion FSR looks a lot closer to native.

So I did some tests with FSR and Cyberpunk on Proton. With Linux you can add FSR to any game and it seems to work alright.

I was able to boost performance from 72 fps to 95 fps, and it still looks pretty good. Text is a bit softer, but not unacceptable.

The last image is with the older CAS filter, which still does an okay job. Performance is the same as with FSR (95 fps) but I think the FSR image looks a lot better.

In the screenshot the difference looks minimal, but in motion FSR looks a lot closer to native.

Seems like FSR could use a touch of sharpening, here.

Now that AMD and Windows 11 support FSR at the driver level, You can actually upscale your entire monitor. I tried the 5120x2160, but it seems to lag a bit. 3840x1620 seems to run great.

Capture2.PNG

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    152.3 KB · Views: 0
Now that AMD and Windows 11 support FSR at the driver level, You can actually upscale your entire monitor. I tried the 5120x2160, but it seems to lag a bit. 3840x1620 seems to run great.
That's great. Do you have more information about this feature? Link a blog post or something.

Here, I turned the sharpening up to full, definitely looks better.

I mean, there is some quality loss (especially on text) but we are talking 30% performance improvement and it still looks pretty nice.

Here are some shots I took in Mafia: Definitive Edition using the Lossless Scaling App

3840x1080 - Native no FSR

3200x900 - FSR using Flawless Scaling

2956x832 FSR using Lossless Scaling

Last edited:
What gives you the impression it's using FSR? I haven't been able to find anything about Windows 11 having FSR driver side.
That since the 10.2.21 drivers came out, I can now do any game and any of the resolutions I showed you earlier.

Earlier.jpg

I did a full install of Windows 11 after wiping my machine. When I did, I am now able to do both. Where in Windows 10 I wasn't.

So I tried DOOM with FSR. It is *really* close to native. Unless looking at the screenshots, it's hard to tell 1080p from 1440p.

There are some small issues, noticeably on very thin lines (like the grating on the left) and also the glow on the blue sign is muted. But overall it looks almost the same. In gameplay I can't tell the difference.

Not that I need the performance in DOOM, I can play in native ultra settings at full clip. But it was a good game to test.

Last edited:
That since the 10.2.21 drivers came out, I can now do any game and any of the resolutions I showed you earlier.

View attachment 404407
Virtual Super Resolution isn't FSR.
I did a full install of Windows 11 after wiping my machine. When I did, I am now able to do both. Where in Windows 10 I wasn't.
That's Virtual Super Resolution. That lets you set resolutions higher than your display supports natively and then it scales that down to your native resolution. Which is essentially what Super Sampling AA does :)

VSR and FSR are completely different things. VSR has been around for many years.

And it works in the opposite direction. VSR allows you to render a game at 4K and play on a 1080p monitor (for higher quality but lower performance).

FSR allows you to play at 1080p and upscale to a 4K monitor (better performance and decent quality, but not native).

Back