AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

In Linux land... they have managed to get FSR to work without game support in Steam...

https://wccftech.com/amd-fsr-can-be-applied-to-all-vulkan-games-via-protons-fshack/

Example of it being used in Cyberpunk 2077

and Red Dead Redemption 2

This is the external tool Ive been holding out for. - the same way you inserted FXAA + Sharpen post into any game using a hacked DLL plus shader script.

Does it have any added artifacts, or have they found ways around that need to insert special pre-processing filters into the pipeline?

This is the external tool Ive been holding out for. - the same way you inserted FXAA + Sharpen post into any game using a hacked DLL plus shader script.

Does it have any added artifacts, or have they found ways around that need to insert special pre-processing filters into the pipeline?
Not sure. There is another guy on Twitter that posted some nice clean screenshots of it being used with The Witcher 3.

https://twitter.com/GloriousEggroll/status/1419528974565269509

I mean technically... someone could probably code something like a borderless widescreen program to do something similar. Although I gotta imagine AMD will eventually give us FSR driver side. Much like they brought the FidelityFX CAS driver side as Radeon Image Sharpening.

Yeah, I think that's the best idea. Maybe allow developers to use the API to get the best results, but have a fallback mode in the driver that works with all games.

So I did finally get around to testing FSR with my HTPC. B450 5600 and the RX580 playing Terminator Resistance. Not a terribly demanding game to run even at 2560X1440 for an RX580 so I thought WTH why not 4K and Ultra quality FSR and vsynch. I was very surprised when it stayed at 60 FPS for an hour or so goof off session. Really hoping too see red dead and some other demanding titles to get FSR implemented soon so I can squeeze some more frames out on those titles.

It works great in Terminator. Same as you, I was getting great performance even without FSR, but it shows how good it can work.

I really couldn't see any difference in image quality but my eyes aren't what they used to anymore.
You can see some of the shots I posted here:

https://twitter.com/cybereality/status/1407728843675246599

Note on Ultra and Quality, there is almost no picture loss (in fact Ultra looks better than native).

On Balanced and Performance, the image starts to blur (look at the bricks on the right), but still acceptable to play with if you need the performance.

Reactions: noko
like this
Yea that's one of the titles I'm hoping gets it too. Looks great with RT but the FPS penalty is a deal breaker for RT. For now I run it at 4K medium and vsynch @ 60Hz medium settings on the 6900. Still looks great though.

Cyberpunk is the one game that is noticeable worse on the 6800XT versus the 2080 Ti I replaced.

Newer AMD games like Dirt 5 and Godfall run fine, even with ray tracing. But in Cyberpunk I can only get around 90 fps on high settings render at 80% (no ray tracing).

With Nvidia, I could do closer to 110 fps at similar settings (but using DLSS performance rather than FidelityFX, no ray tracing).

On the 2080 Ti I could use ray tracing, same settings as above, but getting around 60 fps. On the 6800 XT I could barely get above 40 fps. Maybe they will release a patch, I hope.

Cyberpunk is the one game that is noticeable worse on the 6800XT versus the 2080 Ti I replaced.

Newer AMD games like Dirt 5 and Godfall run fine, even with ray tracing. But in Cyberpunk I can only get around 90 fps on high settings render at 80% (no ray tracing).

With Nvidia, I could do closer to 110 fps at similar settings (but using DLSS performance rather than FidelityFX, no ray tracing).

On the 2080 Ti I could use ray tracing, same settings as above, but getting around 60 fps. On the 6800 XT I could barely get above 40 fps. Maybe they will release a patch, I hope.
Dirt 5 was a great looking game that even with ray tracing turned on it still ran great, well over 100+ FPS, it was the same with Doom when they added ray tracing. Cyberpunk is just a poorly optimised game that was garbage when first released, a number of patches have made it better, with everything maxed out I can get over 100 FPS. Once I turn on all the ray tracing settings its a whole other story, my 6900 XT is maxed out at 2400-2500 MHZ with the fans blasting just to get stuttering frame rates. Supposedly a 1.3 patch is due out any time, but no one really knows what it will do. Unfortunately Cyberpunk is a game that ray tracing lighting and such is a big part of the game, without it you are missing out on all the goodies.

FXSR was added to The Medium. The game also has DLSS, so it would be a good game to use for comparisons, though it uses the older 2.0 version of DLSS.

https://archive.ph/R7kRf
https://twitter.com/TheMediumGame/status/1433817617144369157

1630686471389.png

I thought medium was pretty demanding cause of the dual rendering whatever it was doing

is amazing - shitty titles nobody cares about are tripping over themselves to add the tech, and meanwhile both demanding recent releases (borderlands 3 an Horizon zero dawn) have no sign of life!
Borderlands 3 is 2 years old and runs like a scalded cat on anything vaguely recent?

I bought Terminator Resistance for the FSR and also using SAM at the same time .. amazing how much you can gain and maybe not as demanding of a game but thats close to 6Gb of vram being used at 1080p .

Last edited:
I really like Terminator Resistance. Still need to finish it. It's not a demanding game but still looks great IMO.

I really like Terminator Resistance. Still need to finish it. It's not a demanding game but still looks great IMO.
It’s a lot of fun if you like the movies. It’s not excellent, but it is good to very good and quite fun.

I was telling my daughter that I bought the game and added it to my stream library .. She is the gamer I never could be .. lol but her system has a RX 580 8gb so the FSR will be well used .

I bought Terminator Resistance for the FSR and also using SAM at the same time .. amazing how much you can gain and maybe not as demanding of a game but thats close to 6Gb of vram being used at 1080p .

So I figured I would give this game a try, I wanted to try out FSR also. The problem is my card is so powerful Im already getting a ton of FPS, so FSR is of no benefit in my case. Oh well, the game still looks cool.

So I figured I would give this game a try, I wanted to try out FSR also. The problem is my card is so powerful Im already getting a ton of FPS, so FSR is of no benefit in my case. Oh well, the game still looks cool.
With a 6900xt I would expect to handle most anything without help (lol) , but buying the game shows people want the tech added to other games and when sales start drying up of a game something like FSR could add a reboot for that game's platforum .

The Call of Duty Vanguard beta is said to have code in the game engine for FSR and just like in the past COD found a way to piss Nvidia fans off in the there comments over DLSS 2.0 not coming yet , but the bigger picture is none RTX consumers and using it now.

Fry Cry 6 release date Oct 7 with FSR

Last edited:
With a 6900xt I would expect to handle most anything without help (lol) , but buying the game shows people want the tech added to other games and when sales start drying up of a game something like FSR could add a reboot for that game's platforum .

The Call of Duty Vanguard beta is said to have code in the game engine for FSR and just like in the past COD found a way to piss Nvidia fans off in the there comments over DLSS 2.0 not coming yet , but the bigger picture is none RTX consumers and using it now.

Fry Cry 6 release date Oct 7 with FSR

So it has raytraced shadows and hybrid reflections?

I can think of a few games the 6900xt needs help. I can think of a few games where a 3080 would not need help in those same games.

Last edited:
I can think of a few games the 6900xt needs help. I can think of a few games where a 3080 would not need help in those same games.
Any game that uses ray tracing Nvidia cards will perform better. Cyberpunk was one game in particular that with all the ray tracing candy on, my 6900 XT couldn't manage more then 30-40fps, and that was standing in a empty room with nothing happening. Metro Exodus will also challenge the 6000 series, if ray tracing is put on high, the FPS can dip down to the 40's. I have FC6 pre-ordered, I think that is one game where it will be very demanding and FSR will shine. That said my next card may be back to Nvidia and DLSS, unless FSR really starts to take off and becomes available in more AAA titles.

I am trying out FSR in Deathloop, and I can't tell if it is implemented poorly (probably) or the engine is optimized poorly (probably).

FC6 will be interesting but ultimately FC5 did not stress much hardware (at least, to the extent that FC4 did- feels like they cut a lot of corners in aggressively using LOD).

You can try Lossless scaling as it's at 1.05 patch now as my last try was 1.03 .. You can use it on any game and FSR was added in 1.03

You can try Lossless scaling as it's at 1.05 patch now as my last try was 1.03 .. You can use it on any game and FSR was added in 1.03
I tried it with Cyberpunk 2077 and it didn't go well, but i think the game is just a train wreck rather anything with the tool.

FSR looks like it doesn't do anything that DLSS does. In DLSS the main feature is that for still images or when there is not much actual changes except translation (like when moving around) information from multiple frames rendered with slight offsets is used to reconstruct missing details. That is why DLSS at "performance" preset (or basically 4x less pixels to render) looks pretty much like native as long as it is still shot or no big changes happen in the scene. When scene changes more eg. when running/driving or when object changes part of the image it can be seen that game renders at lower resolution. As long as framerate is high enough its pretty much hidden due to sample&hold blur. Less so when framerate is low and DLSS is used to get last ditch of performance to make game playable but still even at Performance setting at 50-ish fps the reduced resolution is hardly visible.

And here comes FSR which is supposed to do the same thing. It exhibit exactly the same issues as DLSS in the worst case scenario but pretty much at all times, even in still shots. There are obvious sharpening filter ringing artifacts in FSR and transparent surfaces look absolutely broken.

Take this comparison https://www.techpowerup.com/review/the-medium-dlss-vs-fsr-comparison/

Just compare DLSS Performance shot with Native and then compare FSR Performance with Native or DLSS Performance. There is no difference for DLSS vs Native and that is the point of this tech. No one does pixel peeping when running around quickly and when looking around the scene DLSS looks like native resolution. FSR on the other hand looks like it does absolutely nothing. It is just fancy sharpening filter over upscaled image. It even has typical for sharpening mask ringing artifacts.

No wonder it can be so easily implemented that tools exist which can add it to pretty much all applications. AMD tried it once with "Radeon Image Sharpening" and now they slightly improved it and sell it again as DLSS competition. And what is worse stupid people are falling for it 😖

I agree that DLSS is better quality, but FSR is still okay. It greatly improves performance and the image quality loss is minimal using Ultra or Quality settings (in fact, Ultra Quality can look better than native if the original image has aliasing artifacts).

It is a simpler algorithm, yes, it is basically upscaling and doing a sharpen filter, but it works much better than older versions like RIS. Overall it is useful to boost performance, easy for developers to implement, open-source, and doesn't require massive changes to your game engine.

I would recommend actually trying it in some games and judging for yourself. Terminator Resistance has a very good implementation. That page you linked to is the absolute worst case scenario, in most games it will function much better than that.

FSR looks like it doesn't do anything that DLSS does.😖
AMD has never claimed that FSR is meant to be direct competition for DLSS

And here comes FSR which is supposed to do the same thing.
No, it isn't. Its not based on an AI algorithm, its not a reconstruction method. It doesn't even have a temporal element.

There are obvious sharpening filter ringing artifacts in FSR and transparent surfaces look absolutely broken.
Similar issues happen with DLSS in many games. As well as other issues.

No wonder it can be so easily implemented that tools exist which can add it to pretty much all applications.
That's all good. It can be used with virtually any graphics card, from the past 8-ish years.

Just like DLSS, there are good examples of how to use it. and bad examples.

Here are two good examples
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/far-cry-6-benchmark-test-performance/6.html

Reactions: noko
like this
What so many I believe that are firmly in team green seem to say is that "it's not as good as DLSS". I think most on team red or team neutral are willing to admit this. However with how good it is comparatively, and
how easily it seems to be implemented by Devs that want to invest the time, it's completely worth it.

PS... before the fanbois rail me, look at the card I'm running in my sig.

Back