AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Launched with Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.1

I can see Devs putting it in for everyone's benefit. Whether it will be specifically optimized to Nvidia hardware (again by the devs and not AMD), remains to be seen.

Whether you trust steam surveys or not, from a business standpoint, if I know most of my buyers are running NV 10xx cards, I'd do my darndest to keep those guys happy too. At the end of the day its about the $$$, especially if the cost of implementation is low to begin with.

Only reason I see developer actually putting this in game is cause of consoles. They will push this tech forward.

Only reason I see developer actually putting this in game is cause of consoles. They will push this tech forward.
Why would consoles be the only reason? Ultra quality looks really solid and tests of both 6800xt and 5700xt both result in 20-30fps boost. Shouldn't take Nvidia much effort to optimize and then most gamers on Steam can benefit.

Last edited:
I've been playing with this on Godfall and have been quite pleased with the quality mode of FSR at 4K with this particular title on my 2080Ti. Noticable IQ improvement over native 1440p.

My brother has also has been playing Godfall on a GTX 980 and FSR appears to be working even though its supposedly only supported on the Nvidia 1K series and up.

1440P No FSR
Godfall Screenshot 2021.06.22 - 17.11.59.36.png

4K FSR Quality Mode
Godfall Screenshot 2021.06.22 - 17.11.42.40.png

Last edited:
Alex from DF confirms that this is an upscaling technique; it is not anti-aliasing, downscaling or reconstruction. That would explain the poor image quality. He hopes that devs will continue to include methods like temporal anti-aliasing in addition to FSR going forward since the latter is not a replacement for the former.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...ndry_amd_fidelityfx_super_resolution/h2o9afl/

In other words, nothing we didn't already know. (Also, lol at "poor image quality.")

My brother has also has been playing Godfall on a GTX 980 and FSR appears to be working even though its supposedly only supported on the Nvidia 1K series and up.

Technically the only requirement is Shader Model 6.4 support, so the 900 series should be fine in that respect. Of course, if this were an NVIDIA product, those cards would have been locked for no other reason than they could.

No, that DF video is 100% bogus. I've been testing FSR all day and it is surprisingly good.

Here are a few screenshots I took comparing native 1440p render to ultra quality and quality mode.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s42Fpf_4S_N08dYu09JZTIb3v2y1pMaw?usp=sharing

As you can see (I uploaded uncompressed PNGs) there is very little to no difference between native and ultra, and you get about 30% higher performance.

Quality mode shows some image quality loss, but it still looks great and in gameplay you won't notice at all. It looks fine.

I didn't capture balanced and performance because I thought they looked bad, and too blurry to be acceptable. But they did have nice perf boost maybe for older cards.

This is a video Kyle posted in the AMD thread, and I think more closely represents what I have experienced testing it for a few hours.

No, that DF video is 100% bogus. I've been testing FSR all day and it is surprisingly good.

Here are a few screenshots I took comparing native 1440p render to ultra quality and quality mode.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s42Fpf_4S_N08dYu09JZTIb3v2y1pMaw?usp=sharing

As you can see (I uploaded uncompressed PNGs) there is very little to no difference between native and ultra, and you get about 30% higher performance.

Quality mode shows some image quality loss, but it still looks great and in gameplay you won't notice at all. It looks fine.

I didn't capture balanced and performance because I thought they looked bad, and too blurry to be acceptable. But they did have nice perf boost maybe for older cards.

This is a video Kyle posted in the AMD thread, and I think more closely represents what I have experienced testing it for a few hours.

Yeah the DF video was incredibly nitpicky. Of course you can see differences if you analyze the image with a fine toothed comb but can you see a huge difference in real life use? However they did bring up a good point, many game engines now offer their own temporal upscaling solutions and temporal upscalers are inherently superior to what FSR does. But who knows, maybe the temporal component gets added on later date.

Thanks. Looks even worse than the compressed DF Youtube video.

Yeah, DF had some valid criticism, I won't lie, but the video could have been more balanced.

Instead of focusing so hard on the quality loss (which is debatable) they could have also shown how good performance is. But everyone can have an opinion.

Also, in terms of temporal upscaling. That can be very nice too, but does have more artifacts (or at least different artifacts) but tends to look better in screenshots.

I recorded this Unreal Engine 5 video with an internal target render of 540p upscaled to 1080p. It actually looks amazing, but you can notice shimmering and ghosting around the character when moving.

So it is not perfect either, but more tools in the bag. Also, not every developer wants to use Unreal Engine, so having a plug-in solution from AMD is very helpful.

Numbers, people are always excited about them :)
FSR and DLSS are interesting technologies that I explore and for which I read a lot, but I never think to use them.
And yes - AMD did it far smarter this time than Nvidia.

Here are some uncompressed PNGs running Terminator Resistance under Ubuntu 21.04 on a RTX 2080 Ti.

Last edited:
Numbers, people are always excited about them :)
FSR and DLSS are interesting technologies that I explore and for which I read a lot, but I never think to use them.
And yes - AMD did it far smarter this time than Nvidia.
Download the Riftbreaker Demo. Use the configuration tool to enable / disable FSR. Run the GPU benchmark built into the game launcher.

DOTA 2 has added FSR support with the latest patch. It even has a slider.

Download the Riftbreaker Demo. Use the configuration tool to enable / disable FSR. Run the GPU benchmark built into the game launcher.

Supporting FSR was the best marketing decision this developer made.
The free advertising they are getting off this is gold.
This game is on my list of buys... I would have probably never heard of it otherwise.

I clicked the page and now I'm watching the developer play like a smuck. :)

Went from 290fps to 370fps at 3440x1440 with FSR at ultra quality (5900x and 6900xt 3440x1440). Did not update to latest driver.

With raytraced shadows and ambient occlusion on went from 157.13 avg and 0.1% lows of 106.7 to 213.3 and 144.71 with ultra quality FSR.

Pretty huge increase once raytracing was turned on.

Last edited:
I applaud this tech. It’s going to make those games that, for most were unplayable at higher settings/resolutions playable.

I just hope it gets rid of the stigma of having to spend tons of money to game on a PC. I think one line of products will see the biggest advantage: APU’s. If you could get AMD’s advertised “up to 2.4x” performance it’ll open up a lot of doors for super budget friendly PC’s.

I applaud this tech. It’s going to make those games that, for most were unplayable at higher settings/resolutions playable.

I just hope it gets rid of the stigma of having to spend tons of money to game on a PC. I think one line of products will see the biggest advantage: APU’s. If you could get AMD’s advertised “up to 2.4x” performance it’ll open up a lot of doors for super budget friendly PC’s.

Many of us PC master race folks like to point out all the upscaling stuff going on with consoles. Perhaps this will take some of that edge off as well as console games start using FSR just like PCs.
Should make lower end PCs a more logical upgrade for console gamers. I mean right now its hard to even try and justify spending 3-4x the money on a PC to someone just looking to play a few hours of the standard AAA console games every week. Spending the same, console is a win... spending even 20-30% more and the console is still a win. Perhaps FSR helps sets that right.

Not hating on tech, pretty cool to see options out there that can be used by both sides. AMD could potentiallily give people reasons to buy an AMD card next time (once there is availability).

What I really want to do is thank the folks for bringing The Riftbreaker to my attention, game look amazing.

Yeah, people dogged on Terminator, not sure why. It's actually an amazing game. Like Metro, without the survival horror aspect.

The shooting is really good, graphic are nice and runs great, crafting/trading elements, semi-open world. It's a real gem.

I did plan to play it eventually, but after testing FSR now I am really hooked. Godfall also seems decent. Probably wouldn't have tried it unless for FSR.

Yeah, people dogged on Terminator, not sure why. It's actually an amazing game. Like Metro, without the survival horror aspect.

The shooting is really good, graphic are nice and runs great, crafting/trading elements, semi-open world. It's a real gem.

I did plan to play it eventually, but after testing FSR now I am really hooked. Godfall also seems decent. Probably wouldn't have tried it unless for FSR.
I thought the game was pretty good. Honestly, the recent update where you are playing as a Terminator on a path to eliminate the resistance, brought me back to the game for an additional week.

I had thought about godfall for awhile... at this point I'll wait till I see it in some sale. Perhaps the next Epic sale or something. I bought immortals fenyx rising and death stranding this last epic sale. Fenyx is a decent BOTW type game.
I see Terminator is on sale 40% off on steam till the 8th... probably will pick it up.

For sure though rift breaker looks fantastic. Been awhile since I saw a game that actually felt different. I mean I know its the standard cliché starcraft Terran looking armour... but the mix of game elements looks like a ton of fun. I said it earlier they where damn smart to get in on day one FSR... same godes for the Teyon folks the terminator developers. Killer publicity for the cost of a few hours of coding.

I suspect the sales bump on the FSR launch titles might light some fires for the next month or so of companies wanting to catch the wave of excitement. Especially if the can mostly add support in less then a day of coding.

I only tried it in Terminator and I must have gotten the worse case scenario as hair and beards look pretty bad in that game already so when I turned on FSR it seemed to have doubled the shimmering and crawling on the gray haired black guy. And that was on ultra quality so it was a flat out no go for me.

From what I have seen only the critics panned it but the general public and Terminator fanbase loved it. Yes the game is low budget AA game and has flaws but it nailed the atmosphere of Terminator, sound design and all. Basically that game is what movie Terminator Salvation should have been.

Thanks for this info, OK, I tried it and I can said:
It's a bit worse than I expect it, I was supposed that on Ultra Quality the loss will be not so noticeable.... and everything down is... shit.
On Ultra settings from 30-31FPS with UQ, I jump on... 35-36 and I got some things blurry :D
No thanks, as I said, Numbers, people like more and more without any rational reason.

If someone uses this on a mid-range or low-end card - ok I can accept it, but if someone uses FSR on anything above 6700 XT... lol to buy an expensive card for better graphics and to make the graphics bad, I really can't understand it :ROFLMAO:

Well, on Ultra Quality it is basically free performance, also on high refresh monitors you need all you can get.

Thanks for this info, OK, I tried it and I can said:
It's a bit worse than I expect it, I was supposed that on Ultra Quality the loss will be not so noticeable.... and everything down is... shit.
On Ultra settings from 30-31FPS with UQ, I jump on... 35-36 and I got some things blurry :D
No thanks, as I said, Numbers, people like more and more without any rational reason.

If someone uses this on a mid-range or low-end card - ok I can accept it, but if someone uses FSR on anything above 6700 XT... lol to buy an expensive card for better graphics and to make the graphics bad, I really can't understand it :ROFLMAO:
Resolution seems to be the big factor. If your trying to use it at 1080p... yes everyone agrees its not a fantastic solution for 1080p gaming. Its 1440 and 4k where it starts to show what it can do. Its reliant on having pixel data to interpolate.
With a RX 470... if your playing at 1080p... ya it probably won't do much for you unless you really have a game you want to play and badly need a bit of a boost.

I think where it shines from what I have seen is if your playing at 1440 and ultra quality mode pushes you into a nice stable Freesync range. Or 4k on a mid range card from this or the previous gen. On my 5700 XT on a ultra wide (2k) monitor the bump at ultra quality is nice and I don't see any real quality difference (I just want to see it some games I'm actually playing more personally) If my monitor dies though I don't know if I go 2k again or jump to 4k... and if I do that on the same GPU, FSR would be very nice to have as an option.

How do I add it to the game? I don't have it in mine. Where can I download? I want to try to see if it works with my card!
There is nothing to download. If a game has it then it will be a setting in the game. What game are you talking about? If its not there in one of those 7 games then maybe your gpu is not supported.

The link just shows some random games that says support fsr. Theres no kingdom come deliverance in the list. Does that mean no fsr support? I want to play on ultra and only have 2gb. I saw youtube videos and it was struggling. I think I need fsr for upscaling from like probably 768p? My monitor is 1080p. How do I mod the files so I can have fsr?
I hope you are just joking at this point...

Definitely drunk or maybe account stolen. She's speaking in the first person, so it's a dead giveaway.

Resolution seems to be the big factor. If your trying to use it at 1080p... yes everyone agrees its not a fantastic solution for 1080p gaming. Its 1440 and 4k where it starts to show what it can do. Its reliant on having pixel data to interpolate.
With a RX 470... if your playing at 1080p... ya it probably won't do much for you unless you really have a game you want to play and badly need a bit of a boost.

I think where it shines from what I have seen is if your playing at 1440 and ultra quality mode pushes you into a nice stable Freesync range. Or 4k on a mid range card from this or the previous gen. On my 5700 XT on a ultra wide (2k) monitor the bump at ultra quality is nice and I don't see any real quality difference (I just want to see it some games I'm actually playing more personally) If my monitor dies though I don't know if I go 2k again or jump to 4k... and if I do that on the same GPU, FSR would be very nice to have as an option.
LG 29WK600-W 2560x1080, so it's not full 2k.
And I prefer quality instead of a few FPS more.
If I can get from 30 to 50-60 FPS then it will be not bad, but in this situation, to lose quality for 5 FPS is nothing more but funny :)

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Back