AMD Drivers

Interesting how amd requires restart then continue installation and then restart again
At nvidia on the contrary, you don't need any restart

Interesting how amd requires restart then continue installation and then restart again
At nvidia on the contrary, you don't need any restart
to me, the reboot way is the proper way. it makes sure all drivers are unloaded and removed properly and the opposite for the new.

to me, the reboot way is the proper way. it makes sure all drivers are unloaded and removed properly and the opposite for the new.
maybe a long time ago, nvidia doesn't need a restart,there is an option to completely delete the old ones before installing the new ones and everything works normally without a restart...

Just saying how amd and nvidia are different.
Let's say when I play bf1 the display is also different with nvidia and amd gpu, with amd there is no image flicker and loss of graphics, with nvidia, for example, part of the face disappears when the round is over,or something in the game disappears,.... the differences in the display are obvious, the settings are the same,i'm talking about the differences between gtx 1060 3gb and amd rx 5500xt 8gb,amd is faster but both spin well...

The colors on AMD and Nvidia can also be different. I notice HDR seems to work better on my new AMD card (aside from a bug when exiting HDR games, requires switching it off and on).

Just saying how amd and nvidia are different.
Let's say when I play bf1 the display is also different with nvidia and amd gpu, with amd there is no image flicker and loss of graphics, with nvidia, for example, part of the face disappears when the round is over,or something in the game disappears,.... the differences in the display are obvious, the settings are the same,i'm talking about the differences between gtx 1060 3gb and amd rx 5500xt 8gb,amd is faster but both spin well...
There’s a significant difference between 3g 1060 and an 8g 5500, but I can safely say I’ve never seen that on either amd or nvidia. This is from a 3090,3090,3070, two different 6800XT, and a 5700XT.

There’s a significant difference between 3g 1060 and an 8g 5500, but I can safely say I’ve never seen that on either amd or nvidia. This is from a 3090,3090,3070, two different 6800XT, and a 5700XT.
your cards are high segment, i have low
I play at low paces in the game and the differences between amd and nvidia are obvious, amd holds the picture and no losses while nvidia has picture losses.

Six months in with the 6900 XT and I have yet to encounter a driver issue, much the same experience back when I had a 7970 and then a Fury, except the GUI and other aspects are far improved (and just generally support) since that time. I haven’t really researched it much, and I’m not sure if it’s a driver thing, but color banding is pretty bad on volumetric effects and shadows — unlike when using my 2080ti.

Six months in with the 6900 XT and I have yet to encounter a driver issue, much the same experience back when I had a 7970 and then a Fury, except the GUI and other aspects are far improved (and just generally support) since that time. I haven’t really researched it much, and I’m not sure if it’s a driver thing, but color banding is pretty bad on volumetric effects and shadows — unlike when using my 2080ti.
I wouldn't say they are drivers, I had hd5850 and hd 7950 and they were great, just like the drivers,something else is wrong with you...

I had a rough start with the 6900 XT, I had some BSOD's when shutting down and errors in the problem history. Lately it's been fine, the last few sets I've had no issues with. I also stopped doing clean installs, rather doing just a upgrade. It may be just my perception but it seems to work better with the upgrade method.

I wouldn't say they are drivers, I had hd5850 and hd 7950 and they were great, just like the drivers,something else is wrong with you...
I had a pile of issues with the 6870s I had; disasters all. 9800/9700/4870 were all good. 580/480 were bad for me, 5700xt and 6800xt have been great except hardware (RMAed two separate cards).

I switched to a 6900 XT from a 2080ti about 6 months ago? The biggest issue I have is updating drivers, every time I update my AMD driver it crashes my computer. I have to go in safe mode and remove everything then install fresh everytime and reload my profiles and shit, really annoying and have no idea why this happens.

I switched to a 6900 XT from a 2080ti about 6 months ago? The biggest issue I have is updating drivers, every time I update my AMD driver it crashes my computer. I have to go in safe mode and remove everything then install fresh everytime and reload my profiles and shit, really annoying and have no idea why this happens.
Have you tried sfc /scannow with elevated admin privilege from cmd?

That's not really normal. I'd start looking into other issues like learners said. I mean hell, I have switched my rx6800 and rtx 3080 somewhere about 15 times and didn't have any issues.

Yeah, that is not normal at all. You need to get into safe mode and run DDU to start with for sure.

Yeah, I've never had that issue with AMD. Usually I just let the AMD driver update itself, works fine for me.

Though I did have an issue once where the drivers got corrupted, but DDU fixed that no problem.

I must be the luckiest m'fer on the planet. I ran sound blasters for years, didn't have any issues I could attribute to their drivers. I've run AMD and Nvidia graphics cards, and again I haven't any issues I knew to be either of their faults. Usually my driver issues reside in trying to find old drivers for obscure motherboards or old builds. Win10 has alleviated A LOT of that, but every once in a while I still have the issue.

I must be the luckiest m'fer on the planet. I ran sound blasters for years, didn't have any issues I could attribute to their drivers. I've run AMD and Nvidia graphics cards, and again I haven't any issues I knew to be either of their faults. Usually my driver issues reside in trying to find old drivers for obscure motherboards or old builds. Win10 has alleviated A LOT of that, but every once in a while I still have the issue.
Only time I hit issues is with Intel NIC and a hard freeze issue that came up last year. Disable driver update problem gone

real weird. I have gone back and forth and not once I have had this issue. It really amazes how and why people have random issues like this. I wonder if this has to do with some random part other stuff but really weird indeed. Normally with AMD I just either update or select clean install. Not once I ran in to any crash. Definitely sucks.

It's been happening with a fresh install of Windows 10 when I got the card. I just deal with it at this point, but other than that the card has been great. Haven't had an AMD since HD 5770.

When installing the new driver .. look for factory reset option which resets the driver for the change over of a new video card .

One tip, if you are constantly installing new amd drivers all the old ones remain in the amd folder.
If you have an amd processor then all your old drivers remain in the amd folder where the chipser drivers are.
I manually entered the folder program files amd and deleted all the adrenaline drivers, about 8GB of unnecessary data.

I haven't been on amd gpu for a long time but nvidia has much better resolved drivers.
With amd there is an option to install drivers only but then I can't turn off freesync anywhere, totally stupid, I have to choose the minimum installation.
With nvidia everything goes much easier without any restarts but their drivers are again much bigger, over 500mb.
So I choose the driver only and I have nothing, at least some minimal control and settings would be desirable, to see what is on and what is not in amd driver.

I haven't been on amd gpu for a long time but nvidia has much better resolved drivers.
With amd there is an option to install drivers only but then I can't turn off freesync anywhere, totally stupid, I have to choose the minimum installation.
no they dont and if youd actually use it, youd know that.
its right here, with the full install:

1629595640577.png

if you install driver only for nvidia, you cant* adjust anything either...
edit: cant not can.

Last edited:
Yeah I took that one as a don't feed the trolls moment. I can't wait till Intel starts dropping mud into this fight, it's been 1v1 far too long

I haven't personally had any real show stoppers. Just annoyances, windowed full screen mode and fps limiting... It either works or it doesn't. When it doesn't work, hello mega fps scrrrreeeeennn menu's.

I haven't personally had any real show stoppers. Just annoyances, windowed full screen mode and fps limiting... It either works or it doesn't. When it doesn't work, hello mega fps scrrrreeeeennn menu's.
I use Radeon Chill for this, seems to work well and it is smarter than simple fps limit (like in RivaTuner). Also allows your GPU to run cooler and I actually get smoother framerates (less fps, but more consistent).

Reactions: noko
like this
I use Radeon Chill for this, seems to work well and it is smarter than simple fps limit (like in RivaTuner). Also allows your GPU to run cooler and I actually get smoother framerates (less fps, but more consistent).

I'm pretty sure I tried that, but I could try it again. I have both an rx 6800 and rtx 2080ti and most of the time I'm using the rtx 2080ti (It runs the games I play better).

Depends what refresh. If you are on 60Hz, then I don't think Chill will help.

For me, with a 160Hz screen, I set the Chill range to (102-158) and it works well. Fps could drops as low as 100 when nothing is happening (like if I look at the ground) but will quickly ramp up in action.

It's hard to test this, but I found that because the GPU was downclocking at idle parts of the game, when the action did start it had more boost at that time (it would save the horse-power for when needed).

So overall it is a smoother experience and more consistent, but you will get lower fps so just hide the counter and do a blind test.

no they dont and if youd actually use it, youd know that.
its right here, with the full install:

View attachment 387391

if you install driver only for nvidia, you cant* adjust anything either...
edit: cant not can.
I said if you choose driver only installation then you have nothing.
For amd drivers you can choose 3 types of installation at the beginning, driver only, minimal installation and full.
I don't understand why you constantly twist what is written, when the installation is minimal then there is radeon software and I can turn radeon freesync on or off.You don't understand anything properly.
freesync.JPG

With nvidia if you install driver only and physics you have an nvidia control panel.
I have installed 10,000 times amd and nvidia drivers and now you will teach me what is and what is not.

Always when installing drivers I avoid their unnecessary garbage that I don't need, and both have it,nvidia and amd.
Maybe someone needs that garbage, but I don't, it's important for me to install only the driver(physics) and nothing more, and to have the option of some kind of control panel on and off freesync option since I have such a monitor.

I said if you choose driver only installation then you have nothing.
For amd drivers you can choose 3 types of installation at the beginning, driver only, minimal installation and full.
I don't understand why you constantly twist what is written, when the installation is minimal then there is radeon software and I can turn radeon freesync on or off.You don't understand anything properly.
View attachment 387428

try typing coherent sentences then. lol "constantly twist" ok then....

I don't speak english, I use a translator.
Maybe that's why something turns out stupid, if i didn't use a translator it would turn out even stupider.

I don't speak english, I use a translator.
Maybe that's why something turns out stupid, if i didn't use a translator it would turn out even stupider.
ok, dont get offended when people misunderstand

Back