AMD CPU Cooler with Vertical Airflow toward top of case SL600M

ClockerXP

Gawd
Hello-
I have a Coolermaster SL600M case. The airflow is 100% vertical with 200mm fans in the bottom and top of the case. I currently have a Wraith Prism but would like a better cooler. I want the airflow of the cpu cooler to be up-down (the same as the case) since there is no fan at the back.

Any suggestions? I see the IceGiant out there, which is the concept I am looking for but it is ridiculously big. I know there are a lot of good tower coolers out there but I don't know if they can be turned 90-degrees to create up-down airflow.

Here's my case: https://cdn.coolermaster.com/media/assets/1003/sl600m-black-edition-3-zoom.png

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220725_120438.jpg
    20220725_120438.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 0
I know for a fact that the Noctua NH-D15 can be turned in this orientation, I run mine in this orientation on my encoder box.

Thanks Enigma. I wonder if almost all of the tower coolers can be installed sideways? Maybe I should download some install manuals for a few and read them.

I know for a fact that the Noctua NH-D15 can be turned in this orientation, I run mine in this orientation on my encoder box.
Enigma- is your encoder box AMD or Intel? Just wondering if the socket determines if the cooler can be re-oriented for up down flow.

I think the original Pure Rock Slim mounted with airflow vertical. Not sure about the v2.

You should be able to turn most of the Noctua ones 90 degrees. The limiting factor may actually be the motherboard, since the heatsink has to clear any heatsinks on the VRM and memory.

Given that there are many other obstructions to airflow inside of the case, the airflow probably isn't actually "100% vertical" and as such, I wouldn't expect this to make any noticeable difference. You'd probably do better by just using the biggest gnarliest heatsink you can fit, or a CLC.

I have that case for my main build. It takes some more planning when it comes to cabeling vs most other cases, and is not without its flaws, but I love that case!!! For aircooling, its a freaking windtunnel. Noctua 200mm fans are unfortunately too thick for bottom and top without modding the case, but it can be done and its awesome for aircool builds or watercooled builds with AIO for CPU.

I use standard horizontal orientation for both GPU and CPU. For the CPU, all you need is a decent heatsink. There is good space behind the CPU heatsink for hot air to be a little while while the 2 X 200mm fans on top suck the hot air out. You dont have to orient it towards the top as long as you have an active fan on top. Even a single 140mm fan, perhaps even a 120mm in the top back spot should be enough. You have two 200mm fans to suck out hot air and two 200mm fans in bottom (which have a large clearanse to the floor) to provide fresh air with the GPU heating it up a little bit.

TLDR: CPU fan will have more then enough cool air to cool the heatsink even in standard configuration, hot air will never stay in your case long enough to be a problem. All you need is a better heatsink then the Wraith prism to draw the heat from CPU, the rest of the fans will take care of it afterwards without breaking a sweat (pun intended). :p

Noctuas can be turned in both orientations and are my favorites as RazorWind suggested above.

Back