AMD CES 2022

Yeah, I'm thinking that 5800X3D will be my end game for my current X570 then I'll switch over to AM5 (or Intel-based) a couple of refreshes down the line. Well, dependent on price (I'd just slot in a regular 5800X over my current 2700X).

So, 5800X 3D will be the only 3D chip...for now. Lower clock speeds. 3.8 to 3.4ghz; 4.7 to 4.5ghz. No pricing, and available in the "spring". AMD claims to be the top cpu at 1080p over the 12900k.

5800x3dSlideHUB.png

5800x3dslide2.png

Via HUB:

They announced the Threadripper Pro series a while back, every report I have seen about the non-pro lineup says that AMD has quietly killed it.

That is what I have heard as well. After zen2, really the only attractor for me to a threadripper option was the extra pcie lanes.

I won't mind if prosumer threadripper is gone if AMD will add a standard sku product line with either more pcie 5 lanes or include a pcie5 to 4/3 bridge chip with pcie bifurcation. Of course I know the latter is unlikely since the pcie bifurcation technology costs a lot in royalties to patent holding companies to implement at all, and board designers would have to roll the dice on whether they could sell enough to recoup the investment in making a board like that.

That is what I have heard as well. After zen2, really the only attractor for me to a threadripper option was the extra pcie lanes.

I won't mind if prosumer threadripper is gone if AMD will add a standard sku product line with either more pcie 5 lanes or include a pcie5 to 4/3 bridge chip with pcie bifurcation. Of course I know the latter is unlikely since the pcie bifurcation technology costs a lot in royalties to patent holding companies to implement at all, and board designers would have to roll the dice on whether they could sell enough to recoup the investment in making a board like that.
Yeah. I need the lanes. As an example, my old x99 box is now a storage and virtualization server- it has a basic crap GPU, two high end SAS cards (16 drives right now), a 10G nic, and I’d be adding a 25G if it could. My Threadripper box can do that when it moves on, or my x299…. But not consumer.

Noooooo. Dammit. Still hoping that’s false.
even if it's not when they do get around to releasing it much of what it is capable of would be wasted on the old boards so people hoping to drop them into their existing systems for an upgrade will be cutting themselves off at the knees, so they are going to have to replace the whole system anyways and given what the costs of the current systems are you wouldn't be saving much over the Lenovo systems that likely have yet another exclusive contract on them.....
All said I doubt I am getting any new Threadripper's any time soon, Lenovo is a bit of a pain to deal with and Dell can't get them so that means back to Xeon's for my workstations it seems.

even if it's not when they do get around to releasing it much of what it is capable of would be wasted on the old boards so people hoping to drop them into their existing systems for an upgrade will be cutting themselves off at the knees, so they are going to have to replace the whole system anyways and given what the costs of the current systems are you wouldn't be saving much over the Lenovo systems that likely have yet another exclusive contract on them.....
All said I doubt I am getting any new Threadripper's any time soon, Lenovo is a bit of a pain to deal with and Dell can't get them so that means back to Xeon's for my workstations it seems.
I’m hoping that even if it’s just Zen4 that it’ll return. I have uses for non pro Threadripper, just not for the full fat one.

It looks like AMD is taking integrated graphics more seriously again. 680M is 12 CUs at 2,200-2,400 MHz.
I'm looking forward to it, it's a sore point for them that all their 5000 series moble chips are paired with Nvidia GPU's for the gaming implementations. I am more interested in what they bring to the table in the APU's I want to update my MAME cabinet and the 5700g is a little underwhelming for me.

Just built a whole new machine, so not looking to buy anything for a while, but AMD has some exciting news.

Particularly that Zen 4 is running at over 5GHz on all cores and that $199 GPU will probably make a lot of people happy.

I want to update my MAME cabinet and the 5700g is a little underwhelming for me.

I mean, that's creeping up on the Xbox Series S. 12@2200-2400 versus 20@1565. About a 10-20 percent drop in GPU. And with a 35-45W part, nonetheless.

This also means AMD is serious about eliminating low-end, and I suspect sooner rather than later, lower-mid-range discrete GPUs. Because why not?

Edit: yeesh, some of these are 15W parts!

Last edited:
I mean, that's creeping up on the Xbox Series S. 12@2200-2400 versus 20@1565. About a 10-20 percent drop in GPU. And with a 35-45W part, nonetheless.

This also means AMD is serious about eliminating low-end, and I suspect sooner rather than later, lower-mid-range discrete GPUs. Because why not?
Until the low-end shifts off 1080p there isn't a lot more they really need to do there, they also have to be careful as I am sure they have agreements with Sony and Microsoft that state that they won't sell a commercial version of their APU's that rivals their console's specs for some timeframe. But the low end is a numbers game, they have a thin margin and they have to make up for it with quantity. Quantity is a problem for AMD and their good yields due to their chiplet designs hurt them here, traditionally the lower-end chips were just higher-end ones that failed the verification process so they cut back their traces and clock speeds and bam low-end chip. But this doesn't really work with the chiplets the same way so they purposefully have to design parts for this market, and given the effort involved there the numbers don't pan out especially when that same silicon could go towards a higher-end part that will fly off the shelf at the same speed at a much higher margin.

I expect them to let the low end fall over to their APU's and leave the discrete parts for the mid to high end because at 1080p you don't need a lot of hardware to push that effectively for a casual gamer.

TSMC has a capacity problem, and as such AMD can never meet the demand they will have for their parts, so to keep shareholders happy they have to think very hard about their launches and their margins and plan accordingly otherwise shareholders are gonna get cranky.

Reactions: Axman
like this
A 5700G isn't enough to play games from 30 years ago? I find that hard to believe.
It's the interpretation and recompiling of render code that increases the hardware requirements, but MAME can still run on some really old and weak hardware. It makes me interested to see some benchmarks.

It's the interpretation and recompiling of render code that increases the hardware requirements, but MAME can still run on some really old and weak hardware. It makes me interested to see some benchmarks.
Depending on the game and the core MAME swings wildly, looking now it seems the 5700g is doing far better than it was when I first looked at it so it looks like the build teams have been busy in the past year. Still falls a little short on PS2 and XBox360 titles though but its 6000 series equivalent would be a no-brainer for me. My cabinet is falling apart and I want to replace it with a free-standing unit that connects to a wall-mounted 65".

Last edited:
Particularly that Zen 4 is running at over 5GHz on all cores and that $199 GPU will probably make a lot of people happy.
We all need more products on the shelves to help the load. However, I think we all know, there's no way this thing sticks to MSRP.

It might though. If you see Kyle's first new post, he mentions that the AMD card only has 4GB of RAM, making it useless to miners. Which means the demand from cryptobros and scalpers will be much less and they will all go to gamers.

It might though. If you see Kyle's first new post, he mentions that the AMD card only has 4GB of RAM, making it useless to miners. Which means the demand from cryptobros and scalpers will be much less and they will all go to gamers.
I've read recently that bottlenecks are starting to ease though I also looked lately at the GT 1030 out of curiosity. It was either out-of-stock or expensive (in Canada anyway).

I've read recently that bottlenecks are starting to ease though I also looked lately at the GT 1030 out of curiosity. It was either out-of-stock or expensive (in Canada anyway).
Best Buy's had the 1030 in and out of stock for some time; right now, it's 150 USD. So you could get one if you wanted one, but, well, you know.

Just built a whole new machine, so not looking to buy anything for a while, but AMD has some exciting news.

$200 GPU means nothing. The only ones that will be $200 are the ones AMD directly sells. AiB will be at least $400.

The GT 1030 is one of the worst GPUs of all time. I bought one as a backup and tested it, it was almost worse than integrated graphics. Definitely don't buy it, especially at the inflated prices.

$200 GPU means nothing. The only ones that will be $200 are the ones AMD directly sells. AiB will be at least $400.
Yes, AIB will be more for sure, but I doubt 200%. Probably in the $250 to maybe $350 range tops.

That pluton chip from MS on Ryzen 7000 is a dead for AMD's open source embrace of Linux. Sad end.

Back