AMD B550 BIOS quick question / AGESA 1.2.0.0 safe for Zen 2?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
So a while back I remember reading about when the 5000 series of boards came out if you wanted to use them on certain motherboard you would have to update the BIOS however there was no turning back for the older series cpus or something. So I have no idea what BIOS I can safely upgrade my BIOS to? Did that whole thing never happen or is there only certain AGESA BIOS I can use for my Zen 2 3800X and MSI B500 Gaming Plus? I know AGESA 1.2.0.0 is around the corner so I would likely wait until that time to upgrade if safe. 1.1.9.0 is currently the newest listed on the site.

I don't think the B500/B550 boards will have a "point of no return" BIOS, I think they will always support all 3000 & 5000 series CPUs.
I believe it's the B450 boards that will no longer support any other CPUs once you flash the 5000 series BIOS.

Some BIOSes dropped support for Bristol Ridge, but dropping support for Ryzen 3000 (Matisse) is unheard of.

I believe it's the B450 boards that will no longer support any other CPUs once you flash the 5000 series BIOS.

To add to more, not all B450's suffer this.
My Asus B450-F is running the newest BIOS that supports 5000 series CPUs and still has a 2700x.
Only issue was the loss of D.O.C.P profiles. I had to manually tweak to get the ram at 3200.

To add to more, not all B450's suffer this.
My Asus B450-F is running the newest BIOS that supports 5000 series CPUs and still has a 2700x.
Only issue was the loss of D.O.C.P profiles. I had to manually tweak to get the ram at 3200.
I am running an ASRock B450M Pro4. I updated to the latest BIOS for Zen 3 support and could still run my Ryzen 5 1600AF and 2400GE without a problem. It seems like the whole "there is no turning back!" thing was a CYA move from AMD. Obviously every manufacturer has a different amount of free space within the BIOS. I don't seem to have lost any features/functionality after the upgrade, but I didn't look that hard.

I am running an ASRock B450M Pro4. I updated to the latest BIOS for Zen 3 support and could still run my Ryzen 5 1600AF and 2400GE without a problem. It seems like the whole "there is no turning back!" thing was a CYA move from AMD. Obviously every manufacturer has a different amount of free space within the BIOS. I don't seem to have lost any features/functionality after the upgrade, but I didn't look that hard.

Agree on the CYA thing.

Older boards may have smaller BIOS chips that are not able to hold the code for the 5000 series CPUs and still retain the code for the older CPUs.
I think I'll be ok with my B450 Tomahawk Max too, it's a newer board and should not have that limitation.

Agree on the CYA thing.

Older boards may have smaller BIOS chips that are not able to hold the code for the 5000 series CPUs and still retain the code for the older CPUs.
I think I'll be ok with my B450 Tomahawk Max too, it's a newer board and should not have that limitation.

I just bought one of these for CPU testing, seemed like an excellent board for cpu support.

Back