AMD at CES 2021 @ 10am CST

More cards/CPUs we can't buy at prices we can't afford.
Almost snarked el pres. wouldn’t have been a good look this early.

I have the money to buy this shit if it’s in stock god damn it.

My buddy at nvidia has been promising these new cards 😎

Presumably if they mention supply issues they'll say the standard "we're working hard with our partners to improve supply". In the uk at least there hasn't been a restock of the 6800 series in a month at least. =/ And any place that does get the aib cards in are basically pricing them up a tier at least, 6800 for 6800xt pricing and more, 6800xt for 6900xt pricing and more etc. Some 6800xt's are selling for over £1k ffs.

8G9PQUu.png

No asterisk saying "via ebay scalpers only"? :whistle:

I don’t know what I expected from the keynote but that wasn’t it.

Did they even address the stock issue? Or are they going trhe "la la la" fingers in the ear route, would appear so with that graphic saying the 6800 series is "available now".

Did they even address the stock issue? Or are they going trhe "la la la" fingers in the ear route, would appear so with that graphic saying the 6800 series is "available now".
There is no stock issue, the consoles are rolling out in record time, sales are through the roof, they are moving 100% of their product. Investors are thrilled.

Truth be told the whole stream was a bit shit. Nvidia's really wasn't much better besides announcing a 3060 with 12 gigs of ram on it, usurping the "flagship" 3080 and it's 10 gigs. :bored:

Truth be told the whole stream was a bit shit. Nvidia's really wasn't much better besides announcing a 3060 with 12 gigs of ram on it, usurping the "flagship" 3080 and it's 10 gigs. :bored:
Well 12 bigger than 10 so better right???
/s

Was expecting a TR announcement but I guess if you can’t make enough consumer stuff and intel is not competing in HEDT why introduce it yet...

After the much fluff and stroking:
  • Mobile processors using Zen 3 is very significant, I think that is where the big money is for the most part in the PC space at this time
    • With the expected 50% uptick of of sells in the mobile -> Desktop availability parts?
  • RNDA2 for notebooks -> Need steady supply to OEMs, contracts filled -> Desktop for DIY?
  • HPC, data centers, cloud computing -> big money -> big attention
As a side note: AMD ties with many Taiwan, China and other manufacturers from making consoles, motherboards, video cards, CPUs, Notebooks etc. -> This should have big influence with these manufacturers on pushing TSMC to support AMD more (my opinion) for their own livelihood. Microsoft, Sony, Lenovo, HP, MSI, ASUS, and so on.

For DIY folks, Enthusiasts, self builders -> Bleak. Back when Zen 1 1st launched that was pretty much all that AMD had to rely on. We served our usefulness -> wait in line now.

After the much fluff and stroking:
  • Mobile processors using Zen 3 is very significant, I think that is where the big money is for the most part in the PC space at this time
    • With the expected 50% uptick of of sells in the mobile -> Desktop availability parts?
  • RNDA2 for notebooks -> Need steady supply to OEMs, contracts filled -> Desktop for DIY?
  • HPC, data centers, cloud computing -> big money -> big attention
As a side note: AMD ties with many Taiwan, China and other manufacturers from making consoles, motherboards, video cards, CPUs, Notebooks etc. -> This should have big influence with these manufacturers on pushing TSMC to support AMD more (my opinion) for their own livelihood. Microsoft, Sony, Lenovo, HP, MSI, ASUS, and so on.

For DIY folks, Enthusiasts, self builders -> Bleak. Back when Zen 1 1st launched that was pretty much all that AMD had to rely on. We served our usefulness -> wait in line now.
It's only significant if they can supply the OEM's with a large number of chips, they are not going to take orders then wait weeks or longer to fulfill them as they wait for AMD to deliver the chips. They are going to want thousands of them upfront so they can get them built and shipped out to retail locations. This is something AMD has struggled with for all their laptop parts since day 1 and still do, the availability of the 4000 series has not been great.

meh...mid-cycle launches are always boring to me.

I guess the mobile CPUs seem nice. I was hoping for a RX 6700XT or something.

Anything about new Threadripper?
Not during the conference, but afterwards they announced Threadripper Pro 3000 for the DIY market.
Additionally, AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO Processors will now be directly available to consumers through participating global retailers, e-tailers and system integrators with on-shelf availability expected in March 2021.
https://ir.amd.com/news-events/pres...nnounces-worlds-best-mobile-processors-in-ces
with all the feature that should have been in Threadripper originally (RDIMM/LRDIMM support, memory encryption, etc.). Maybe non-Pro Threadrippers will go away: If you are spending big money anyway, almost no reason to go for the limited platform.

Depends on the price differential. I agree if the hit isn't too bad - just make all the Threadrippers pro.
This. I'm ok spending $1300-1400 on a CPU for the right use case... but not $2000+. Depends on what they cost.

Depends on the price differential. I agree if the hit isn't too bad - just make all the Threadrippers pro.
It’s cheaper for them to just have the “pro” variants. It also gives them better access to more markets as the lack of remote management and monitoring in the non pro lineup made them unattractive for large enterprise deployments.

It’s cheaper for them to just have the “pro” variants. It also gives them better access to more markets as the lack of remote management and monitoring in the non pro lineup made them unattractive for large enterprise deployments.
It really depends on how much control/visibility I have into this remote management nonsense.
I'm not interested in finding out-of-band AMD network packets coming from my $$$ TR machine lol.

It really depends on how much control/visibility I have into this remote management nonsense.
I'm not interested in finding out-of-band AMD network packets coming from my $$$ TR machine lol.
It's passive, or at least the EPYC, and Xeon equivalents are. I don't have any of the ryzen or threadripper pro's but I cant imagine it to be much different

Given that no new RX 6000 desktop gpus are going to be available for people to buy in the foreseeable future I'd say the proportion of time spent talking about them sounds about right.

I have grown tired of his constant whining, but I have to say, I think his whining was 100% on point this time. AMD's worst showing by far. AMD marketing screwed the pooch on this one, then washed the dog's ass off with a dirty bucket of sewer water and went back for sloppy seconds. It was a painful 50 minutes. Steve certainly has some delusions of grandeur going on over there though.

I have grown tired of his constant whining, but I have to say, I think his whining was 100% on point this time. AMD's worst showing by far. AMD marketing screwed the pooch on this one, then washed the dog's ass off with a dirty bucket of sewer water and went back for sloppy seconds. It was a painful 50 minutes. Steve certainly has some delusions of grandeur going on over there though.

I bet it was Steve's negative review of the AMD bike that's irked you the most.

Back