AMD Announces Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5000 WX-Series: Zen 3 For OEM Workstations

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1729...000-wx-series-zen-3-core-for-oem-workstations

Seems to be only for prebuilt workstations for the time being:

threadripper.png

Summary​

AMD is launching its Ryzen Threadripper 5000 Pro series with Lenovo via the ThinkStation P620 workstations. This is similar to its launch of the previous TR 3000 Pro processors. At the time of writing, AMD hasn't provided information as to when we can expect TR 5000 Pro WX to hit the market or when the latest Lenovo ThinkStation P620 workstation will be launched or announced.

On AMD's performance claims, it looks as though TR 5000 Pro will further improve upon its current grasp on leading-edge workstation solutions, especially with the generational increase that Zen 3 brings in overall IPC performance when compared to Zen 2 (TR 3000 Pro).

It remains to be seen how the emerging battle in the workstation segment of the market will intensify as Intel rolls out Sapphire Rapids-SP processors with Intel's EMIB interconnect and HBM2e memory. These chips are expected to be released sometime in 2022, but it's noted that Sapphire Rapids has already been delayed before, as they were previously expected in Q2 2022.

The key focus of today's announcement is that systems based on AMD's Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5000 WX-series processors will be available to purchase from March 21st, with Lenovo and the ThinkStation P620 workstation being the release platform of choice. AMD did inform us that they expect to have more partners on board in the second half of 2022, which implies a similar ramp-up to what we saw with the previous generation of Threadripper Pro.

I doubt we will see a non-pro Threadripper any time soon, these ones are using a different socket than the previous gen as well so if they did launch a non-pro I am skeptical that it would be compatible with the existing boards.

, these ones are using a different socket than the previous gen as well

The article is misleading considering it say:
Finally, AMD has confirmed to us that the new TR 5000 Pro chips will use the same WRX80 platform as the previous generation. So along with reusing the existing sWRX8 socket, existing WRX80 motherboards will only need a firmware update to be compatible with the new chips.

The article is misleading considering it say:
Finally, AMD has confirmed to us that the new TR 5000 Pro chips will use the same WRX80 platform as the previous generation. So along with reusing the existing sWRX8 socket, existing WRX80 motherboards will only need a firmware update to be compatible with the new chips.
I misunderstood where it says:
Judging from the design of the TR 3000 Pro version, it will likely have a transposed socket to allow Lenovo to fit a large cooler better suited to supporting the 280 W TDP. At the same time, it should also offer customizability, albeit what options users can alter remains unclear.

Transposed doesn't necessarily mean different just a different orientation.

it will likely have a transposed socket to allow Lenovo to fit a large cooler better suited to supporting the 280 W TDP

I feel that would have been a good thing for them to do even with a similar TDP, considering how according to the review noisy those seem to have been (not that I ever had the chance to try one in real life)

I feel that would have been a good thing for them to do even with a similar TDP, considering how according to the review noisy those seem to have been (not that I ever had the chance to try one in real life)
I have 2 of them, I had to relocate them out of my office and into the storage space above my office because they were too noisy.
They aren't even under that heavy of a processor load, They run the software that manages my firewalls, it is core intensive in that it requires 16 cores but the average CPU load remains under 20%, what it is though is IO intensive as I needed 128 GB of ram and 3 TB of fast storage with a trio of 10G networking ports, 2 SFP and 1 RJ45 in my configuration.
But at only 20% load I couldn't stand being in the same room as them any longer.

Rather surprised, all the performance but only a 280w envelope. Wonder how those are going to overclock.TR at say 5.2? Yes please

Sadly the new Intel w680 stuff is going to be the closest stuff there to a new prosumer HEDT.

You are saying that because the threadripper pro is too expensive to still be considered in the prosummer HEDT category ?

Last edited:
Sounding more and more like Zen3 won't be coming to TRX40, which makes me sad and annoyed.
X399 checking in, I'm disappointed for the TRX40 owners but past experience told me to set expectations low.
Sadly the new Intel w680 stuff is going to be the closest stuff there to a new prosumer HEDT.
You are saying that because the threadripper pro is too expensive to still be considered in the prosummer HEDT category ?
yeah. Their pricing falls squarely into the Pro-Business space.
Assuming Asrock continues making decent server boards, I may go with whatever their AM5 board ends up being (to upgrade my x399 eventually). Depends on the formfactor they ultimately come out with, I'd prefer a full ATX board - I think their AM4 boards are all mATX like the X570D4U-2L2T... the other problem is that all these workstation/server HEDT-style AM4 boards are hard to find and being scalped currently too.

Linus has a good video on the lack of a consumer HEDT option from AMD. I agree with his assessment.
He leaves very little to disagree with there that’s for sure.
The Intel w680 is about the closest thing to a consumer HEDT product there is right now and even that is a stretch.

Last edited:
Until AMD states one way another about Zen 3 non pro Threadripper, Linus video was conjecture and also poorly indicating workloads that can use as many cores as well as pcie lanes (as indicated by the comments from programmers, artists and scientists). Will AMD have a non-pro version? Only AMD can determine that and if they can support it good enough with chips. Taking care of the high end is way more important for them to maintain their forward march and profits.

Looking at Newegg, with virtually all Zen 3 CPUs available at rather big discount rates, it makes more and more sense for AMD to allow more avenues for sells at a higher price for TR non pro to use Zen 3. Zen 3 CPUs are building up and readily available now (probably thanks mostly to Intel great new CPUs) at lower prices.

Last edited:
The thing is, AMD explicitly stated there would be long term support for this platform.

If that weren't the case, I probably wouldn't have spent the money I did on this rather expensive motherboard. I was expecting to get at least one drop in CPU upgrade to Zen3.

The thing is, AMD explicitly stated there would be long term support for this platform.

If that weren't the case, I probably wouldn't have spent the money I did on this rather expensive motherboard. I was expecting to get at least one drop in CPU upgrade to Zen3.
Well conjecture here, seeing the large number of motherboard designs, for a rather smaller niche market , I think the motherboard makers thought so too. If I were to bet now, I say AMD will if Zen 3/3+ is being made (of course they are since X3D and server Zen 3's) and the market is saturated which is looking to be the case. From my observation, AMD likes to stream along news, bit by bit to keep everyone talking about them, even when they have crap products at time and it has worked well over the decades. My question will be if Zen 3 TR does become available (non pro) will I bother with it? Will the current users want the 20% or so improvement? I can see a number of 24/32 core users who benefitted from the increase cores and could use more would be prime candidates for Zen 3 TR moving up to the next tier + the better IPC of Zen 3.

Well conjecture here, seeing the large number of motherboard designs, for a rather smaller niche market , I think the motherboard makers thought so too. If I were to bet now, I say AMD will if Zen 3/3+ is being made (of course they are since X3D and server Zen 3's) and the market is saturated which is looking to be the case. From my observation, AMD likes to stream along news, bit by bit to keep everyone talking about them, even when they have crap products at time and it has worked well over the decades. My question will be if Zen 3 TR does become available (non pro) will I bother with it? Will the current users want the 20% or so improvement? I can see a number of 24/32 core users who benefitted from the increase cores and could use more would be prime candidates for Zen 3 TR moving up to the next tier + the better IPC of Zen 3.

Honestly, I'm starting to wish I went with Threadripper Pro to begin with.

I mean, this right here is probably as close as I am going to ever get to my definition of "the perfect motherboard".

1647120449000.png

I mean, just looking at this thing has me salivating.

Of course, I would have ditched the WiFi and the on board sound, and would have preferred SFP+ slots instead of 10GBaseT copper, but I'm just crazy like that.

The main reason I didn't was because Threadripper Pro had worse max clocks in previous gens, and I was concerned that was going to hold me back.

More cores help some workloads. Higher clocks help ALL workloads.

Honestly, I'm starting to wish I went with Threadripper Pro to begin with.

I mean, this right here is probably as close as I am going to ever get to my definition of "the perfect motherboard".

View attachment 453114

I mean, just looking at this thing has me salivating.

Of course, I would have ditched the WiFi and the on board sound, and would have preferred SFP+ slots instead of 10GBaseT copper, but I'm just crazy like that.

The main reason I didn't was because Threadripper Pro had worse max clocks in previous gens, and I was concerned that was going to hold me back.

More cores help some workloads. Higher clocks help ALL workloads.
Nice! I could not justify that for myself but one can dream.

Also considering AMD has 12 core and 16 core Zen 3 TR WX, having a non pro 12 core and 16 core parts could entice many into the platform for the increase pcie lanes. Having something like a 16 core X3D version of Zen3 for TR could also make some rather big buz out there for gamers to go after. I just see many options that AMD can do with TRX40, for them to lay it down and piss a number of partners and users off does not seem like the best thing AMD should do.

Also considering AMD has 12 core and 16 core Zen 3 TR WX, having a non pro 12 core and 16 core parts could entice many into the platform for the increase pcie lanes. Having something like a 16 core X3D version of Zen3 for TR could also make some rather big buz out there for gamers to go after. I just see many options that AMD can do with TRX40, for them to lay it down and piss a number of partners and users off does not seem like the best thing AMD should do.

I mean, that's my motivation right there.

I really don't do anything that requires the 24C/48T my 3960x has. I do run a desktop VM for work, and I assign it 8 cores because I can, but it would likely meet my needs just as well with 2-4 cores assigned. I could easily survive with 12 cores. If there had been a higher clocked 12 or 16 core variant I would probably have bought that instead.

I'm mostly in it for the PCIe lanes. Nothing beats having the flexibility of installing the hardware YOU want, not whatever some marketing guy thought would be popular enough to put on board.

You know, I saw the $800+ pricetag on the motherboard and thought, pricy, probably not doing to do it, but doable, especially considering what I spent on my ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha.

I had no idea that the starting pricetag for Threadripper PRO CPU's was $2000+

Could I afford it? Sure. But that is totally not worth it.

I wonder what they bring to the table to justify that pricetag over TRX40. More RAM support and PCIe lanes, sure, but really?

Maybe that's the reason we ahven't seen TRX40 Zen3 chips yet. Maybe AMD fears they are competing with their own higher priced PRO chips.

Until AMD states one way another about Zen 3 non pro Threadripper, Linus video was conjecture and also poorly indicating workloads that can use as many cores as well as pcie lanes (as indicated by the comments from programmers, artists and scientists). Will AMD have a non-pro version? Only AMD can determine that and if they can support it good enough with chips. Taking care of the high end is way more important for them to maintain their forward march and profits.

Looking at Newegg, with virtually all Zen 3 CPUs available at rather big discount rates, it makes more and more sense for AMD to allow more avenues for sells at a higher price for TR non pro to use Zen 3. Zen 3 CPUs are building up and readily available now (probably thanks mostly to Intel great new CPUs) at lower prices.
His comments, and Anthony's, weren't an edict. Are there people that can use the additonal cores and PCIE lanes of a non pro TR? Sure, but how large of a market do those commenters realistically make up, I doubt enough to make sense to AMD. We see this often in online spaces where a small but vocal group clamor for something, but the reality is they make up a tiny percentage of the overall market.

I hope AMD offers a non pro TR, but I can't be too shocked if they don't.

Last edited:
His comments, and Anthony's, weren't an edict. Are there people that can use the additonal cores and PCIE lanes of a non pro TR? Sure, but how large of a market do those commenters realistically make up, I doubt enough to make sense to AMD. We see this often in online spaces where a small but vocal group clamor for something, but the reality is they make up a tiny percentage of the overall market.
A tiny but profitable market and as you indicated, very much vocal about it. Who knows what AMD will do in the short run. Being king in gaming performance, albeit virtually meaningless for the gaming experience has marketing value. Being first in HEDT (not Pro Desktop) is another marketing value thing plus some of your most intelligent users, accomplished, dedicated folks (good bunch to have in your court). How really big is the 5800 X3D for the gaming community -> probably a small blip. Linus came up with reasons why AMD will not (all conjecture) and I did pretty much the same for why they might. Will AMD advance TRX40 with Zen 3, no idea.

I hope AMD offers a non pro TR, but I can't be too shocked if they don't.

Honestly, Linus is a tool. He only gets things right a small part of the time. I wouldn't listen to what he says. He may have been mostly on this time, but regularly listening to what he says is a good way to get oneself misinformed.

If you view this shit as entertainment, and like the YouTube Shocked Face, by all means, but don't consider his stuff technically competent.

1647126401100.png

I mean, that's my motivation right there.

I really don't do anything that requires the 24C/48T my 3960x has. I do run a desktop VM for work, and I assign it 8 cores because I can, but it would likely meet my needs just as well with 2-4 cores assigned. I could easily survive with 12 cores. If there had been a higher clocked 12 or 16 core variant I would probably have bought that instead.

I'm mostly in it for the PCIe lanes. Nothing beats having the flexibility of installing the hardware YOU want, not whatever some marketing guy thought would be popular enough to put on board.
I use the cores (Have 12c/64G dedicated to a single VM most of the time), but definitely want the PCIE lanes - makes it FAR more useful as it moves on to secondary uses in the long run. I've posted it before, but my X99 box has a GPU, 2 SAS controllers, and a 2x 10G nic installed in it. With a consumer box of the same generation, I could forego the GPU and have the same stuff in there - but it would be more limited in terms of going through the chipset, and I wouldn't have any expansion left in the future (while the x99 still has some left, and the Zen2 TR / x299 boxes I have definitely have expansion left, even with a GPU installed!).

I'm hoping this is just shortages right now (no reason to release limited margin/volume products when you're hard-pressed to get everything else higher-margin and more in demand on the shelves), and we'll see a next-gen one once Zen4 releases.

I use the cores (Have 12c/64G dedicated to a single VM most of the time), but definitely want the PCIE lanes - makes it FAR more useful as it moves on to secondary uses in the long run. I've posted it before, but my X99 box has a GPU, 2 SAS controllers, and a 2x 10G nic installed in it. With a consumer box of the same generation, I could forego the GPU and have the same stuff in there - but it would be more limited in terms of going through the chipset, and I wouldn't have any expansion left in the future (while the x99 still has some left, and the Zen2 TR / x299 boxes I have definitely have expansion left, even with a GPU installed!).

I'm hoping this is just shortages right now (no reason to release limited margin/volume products when you're hard-pressed to get everything else higher-margin and more in demand on the shelves), and we'll see a next-gen one once Zen4 releases.

I do something similar with my old x79. I use it as a backup/tesbench, with SAS controllers 10gig NIC, etc.

A tiny but profitable market and as you indicated, very much vocal about it. Who knows what AMD will do in the short run. Being king in gaming performance, albeit virtually meaningless for the gaming experience has marketing value. Being first in HEDT (not Pro Desktop) is another marketing value thing plus some of your most intelligent users, accomplished, dedicated folks (good bunch to have in your court). How really big is the 5800 X3D for the gaming community -> probably a small blip. Linus came up with reasons why AMD will not (all conjecture) and I did pretty much the same for why they might. Will AMD advance TRX40 with Zen 3, no idea.
Problem is it’s not profitable, in a market where everything you make is sold you are legally obligated to prioritize the highest profit items. AMD already has wait list months long for the TR Pro’s because they are selling as fast and Lenovo can receive them. Until Lenovo has a surplus of the Pro Threadripper’s AMD doesn't have the fab time to create a non pro one.

And to the people saying “they promised support” support doesn’t mean new products, just means updates to the existing ones. A few bios or driver updates a couple of times a year legally clears them of that statement.

Not saying it won’t happen, just not likely to any time soon.

Last edited:
Problem is it’s not profitable, in a market where everything you make is sold you are legally obligated to prioritize the highest profit items. AMD already has wait list months long for the TR Pro’s because they are selling as fast and Lenovo can receive them. Until Lenovo has a surplus of the Pro Threadripper’s AMD doesn't have the fab time to create a non pro one.

And to the people saying “they promised support” support doesn’t mean new products, just means updates to the existing ones. A few bios or driver updates a couple of times a year legally clears them of that statement.

Not saying it won’t happen, just not likely to any time soon.
Why would it not be profitable if the same number of cores cost the same price? Serving two different markets? Plus Zen 3 chips are getting much more abundant now or available. Now I would hope AMD sell the non pro versions at a lower price but these would probably not be the best of the best either. If AMD is making more Zen 3 chips than sold (looks like current situation) it would be prudent to sell much higher priced Zen 3 TR chips, then the cut down lower priced 5600x or 5600 chips. If AMD is obligated to prioritize the highest profit items, then TR Zen 3 non pro would be in front of the Zen 3 desktop versions. A higher to much higher priced 12 core and 16 core Zen 3 TR could be sold over the desktop versions, maybe even a higher X3D version -> higher profit margins for AMD.

Most likely is AMD still has a stash of Zen 2 chips which goes into the TR platform which they can still make a profit on if sold. The problem is that does not serve their customers well since those buying already have TR in most cases. The jump from desktop to TR Pro is too huge leaving a big gap in between.

Why would it not be profitable if the same number of cores cost the same price? Serving two different markets? Plus Zen 3 chips are getting much more abundant now or available. Now I would hope AMD sell the non pro versions at a lower price but these would probably not be the best of the best either. If AMD is making more Zen 3 chips than sold (looks like current situation) it would be prudent to sell much higher priced Zen 3 TR chips, then the cut down lower priced 5600x or 5600 chips. If AMD is obligated to prioritize the highest profit items, then TR Zen 3 non pro would be in front of the Zen 3 desktop versions. A higher to much higher priced 12 core and 16 core Zen 3 TR could be sold over the desktop versions, maybe even a higher X3D version -> higher profit margins for AMD.

Most likely is AMD still has a stash of Zen 2 chips which goes into the TR platform which they can still make a profit on if sold. The problem is that does not serve their customers well since those buying already have TR in most cases. The jump from desktop to TR Pro is too huge leaving a big gap in between.
Same number of cores half the price, the TR pro’s are like 2x the price of the non pro’s.
The Threadripper Pro’s are cut down EPYC’s, the non pro’s even more so. Why sell a Threadripper when they can make 2-3 times that on the Pro or the EPYC?

It is a huge gap to go from the desktop to the Threadripper Pro’s for sure but AMD can’t spare the silicon on supporting that launch. The problem isn’t that there isn’t a market it’s that AMD is too small and too overburdened to supply it.

In regards to AMD’s chip production they are far less agile than you give them credit for, they book what they are making months in advance. And yes they have extra desktop chips, and the OEM’s are putting wait lists on servers, workstations, and laptops because AMD hasn’t supplied those yet, so they make those while the surplus dwindles and they hope they’ve sold basically all of them in time for the new series to launch. Until AMD has surplus time at TSMC Threadripper is at the bottom of their priority list.

Last edited:
Also, for most of us, Zen3 is getting pretty old. I wanted a zen3 Threadripper when zen3 first launched - but it’s been over 18 months. Zen4 is coming before long. I don’t know if I could justify it now.

Also, for most of us, Zen3 is getting pretty old. I wanted a zen3 Threadripper when zen3 first launched - but it’s been over 18 months. Zen4 is coming before long. I don’t know if I could justify it now.
More likely to see something like a workstation board for Zen4 that just gives a lot of PCIe 3 and 4 lanes from the chipset, with PCIE5 from the CPU to the Chipset.

I do agree with this. I find it annoying that the HEDT platforms are so far behind the consumer platforms.

I don't remember this being the case with my x79, but I can't remember anymore. (Though it shouldn't be hard to look up)

If wnayhting, you'd think if you are paying extra for a premium product, you'd get the new architecture first, not dead last.

The only reason I'm still hoping for a Zen3 threadripper is because Zen4 will likely be DDR5, meaning a while new $600 motherboard...

I do agree with this. I find it annoying that the HEDT platforms are so far behind the consumer platforms.

I don't remember this being the case with my x79, but I can't remember anymore. (Though it shouldn't be hard to look up)

If wnayhting, you'd think if you are paying extra for a premium product, you'd get the new architecture first, not dead last.

The only reason I'm still hoping for a Zen3 threadripper is because Zen4 will likely be DDR5, meaning a while new $600 motherboard...
If they do launch one it will be after the new Pro’s are out and they have a small stockpile of controllers that didn’t pass they can cut those back and sell them as the non Pro variant.

More likely to see something like a workstation board for Zen4 that just gives a lot of PCIe 3 and 4 lanes from the chipset, with PCIE5 from the CPU to the Chipset.
Probably won’t have enough cores for me then; or the RAM support. X570 isn’t super fond of 128G; Threadripper doesn’t really care. And I can take TR to 256 if I want.

My zenith II has gotten flaky. I’m partially hoping for new boards :-/

I definitely preferred the release cadence back around the i7 920 days. The prosumer / HEDT part comes first, then the high to mid desktop stuff, then the low end. I’m not sure when it changed, but I have 0 interest buying HEDT 3-6 months before the new generation high end consumer comes out and outperforms the last gen HEDT.

Same number of cores half the price, the TR pro’s are like 2x the price of the non pro’s.
The Threadripper Pro’s are cut down EPYC’s, the non pro’s even more so. Why sell a Threadripper when they can make 2-3 times that on the Pro or the EPYC?

It is a huge gap to go from the desktop to the Threadripper Pro’s for sure but AMD can’t spare the silicon on supporting that launch. The problem isn’t that there isn’t a market it’s that AMD is too small and too overburdened to supply it.

In regards to AMD’s chip production they are far less agile than you give them credit for, they book what they are making months in advance. And yes they have extra desktop chips, and the OEM’s are putting wait lists on servers, workstations, and laptops because AMD hasn’t supplied those yet, so they make those while the surplus dwindles and they hope they’ve sold basically all of them in time for the new series to launch. Until AMD has surplus time at TSMC Threadripper is at the bottom of their priority list.
Not sure if AMD cannot spare the silicon since the consumer/desktop versions use the same dies and they are building up inventory as well as price drops to get them moving. TR will give AMD more profit per die over consumer CPUs. If AMD is to prioritize profits, TR would have Zen 3 before making sub $200 Zen 3 CPUs. If the market is that low to begin with then the numbers would not be that significant.

Server chips require the best of the best dies while TR was usually the worst of the worst but still working. The 3960x requires 280w and it uses it, while the 3990x with 40 more cores still uses the same 280w. That is a pretty significant difference in core quality. My second 3960x is much better than my first that failed as a note. The lower quality dies also went to consumer CPUs. Anyways AMD probably had a large inventory of Zen 2 dies that needed to go somewhere.

I too question if it is really worth an upgrade when Zen 4 is basically within a year away, I can see going to 32 cores or even 64 cores from 24 cores with Zen 3 a big enough upgrade but paying $2500 or more makes the wait seem more prudent.

I definitely preferred the release cadence back around the i7 920 days. The prosumer / HEDT part comes first, then the high to mid desktop stuff, then the low end. I’m not sure when it changed, but I have 0 interest buying HEDT 3-6 months before the new generation high end consumer comes out and outperforms the last gen HEDT.
I’m lucky, I don’t need any home HEDT stuff any more, the work stuff stays at work and the home stuff stays home.

Come 2023 I’m just aiming for 120+ FPS at 1440p.

Not sure if AMD cannot spare the silicon since the consumer/desktop versions use the same dies and they are building up inventory as well as price drops to get them moving. TR will give AMD more profit per die over consumer CPUs. If AMD is to prioritize profits, TR would have Zen 3 before making sub $200 Zen 3 CPUs. If the market is that low to begin with then the numbers would not be that significant.

Server chips require the best of the best dies while TR was usually the worst of the worst but still working. The 3960x requires 280w and it uses it, while the 3990x with 40 more cores still uses the same 280w. That is a pretty significant difference in core quality. My second 3960x is much better than my first that failed as a note. The lower quality dies also went to consumer CPUs. Anyways AMD probably had a large inventory of Zen 2 dies that needed to go somewhere.

I too question if it is really worth an upgrade when Zen 4 is basically within a year away, I can see going to 32 cores or even 64 cores from 24 cores with Zen 3 a big enough upgrade but paying $2500 or more makes the wait seem more prudent.
Regardless of profit margins, AMD shorted Sony 6m units in 2021 because they didn’t have the silicon, they shorted Microsoft just shy 1m units because again no silicon, and Lenovo has a back order list going back 4 months on their TR Pro systems because AMD hasn’t been able to keep up on deliveries. The Lenovo delays worked out in my favour though, Boss gave approval on a pair of the new M1-Ultras instead, they will do just as nicely and I won’t need earmuffs around them because my 3975x’s are F’ing loud. Those bastards live on a new floor and only get accessed remotely now because f-that. My 7502p systems don’t even make that much noise and their 1U rack mounts.

Back