AMD 22.10.2 driver hell

noko

Supreme [H]ardness
Downloaded the optional 22.10.2 drivers for the 6900XT. This is on a TR system, MSI TRX40 Pro WiFi motherboard with a 3960x. Installing over a fully working 22.8.2 drivers.
  • Normal option for installation -> within 20sec or so black screen and computer reboots
    • Did this a few times with same results
    • Tried clean install option in drivers -> same
  • Tried to reinstall 22.8.2, same result
  • Tried to install 22.5.1 AMD recommended driver with same result
  • Tried clean install of 22.5.1, it installed but at the very end it gave an error saying Windows reverted the driver which gave a link to disable Windows 11 device updates which I did
  • Tried again and the computer crashed and Windows 11 blue screen upon startup and could not do the auto fix (I knew what that was about)
  • Reset CMOS, booted into windows and ran MSConfig for safe boot
What finally worked for installing 22.10.2
  • DDU AMD drivers, disconnected internet, shutdown
  • Reset CMOS again even before trying to start back up, ran my normal profile for my bios
  • booted into Windows
  • Installed the 22.10.2 drivers, this time it had no issue installing and is working
Three separate motherboards, B550, X570S and TRX40 systems I've had driver installation issues with the same 6900XT. Once past that stage it is rather stable and pretty good. Not sure if the XFX 6900XT is the culprit for this. It only has been the last 6 months of drivers that have been giving me installation issues.

Downloaded the optional 22.10.2 drivers for the 6900XT. This is on a TR system, MSI TRX40 Pro WiFi motherboard with a 3960x. Installing over a fully working 22.8.2 drivers.
  • Normal option for installation -> within 20sec or so black screen and computer reboots
    • Did this a few times with same results
    • Tried clean install option in drivers -> same
  • Tried to reinstall 22.8.2, same result
  • Tried to install 22.5.1 AMD recommended driver with same result
  • Tried clean install of 22.5.1, it installed but at the very end it gave an error saying Windows reverted the driver which gave a link to disable Windows 11 device updates which I did
  • Tried again and the computer crashed and Windows 11 blue screen upon startup and could not do the auto fix (I knew what that was about)
  • Reset CMOS, booted into windows and ran MSConfig for safe boot
What finally worked for installing 22.10.2
  • DDU AMD drivers, disconnected internet, shutdown
  • Reset CMOS again even before trying to start back up, ran my normal profile for my bios
  • booted into Windows
  • Installed the 22.10.2 drivers, this time it had no issue installing and is working
Three separate motherboards, B550, X570S and TRX40 systems I've had driver installation issues with the same 6900XT. Once past that stage it is rather stable and pretty good. Not sure if the XFX 6900XT is the culprit for this. It only has been the last 6 months of drivers that have been giving me installation issues.
I’ve not heard of widespread issues installing this driver. I personally had zero issues installing it with a 6800xt and z690 system.

out of habit I never uninstall the old ones and just install new ones over the top, never have any issues.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but it's true.
I avoid fresh installs unless I have an issue. Which I haven’t had a issue with an amd driver since the 5700xt launch. That was a few video cards ago for me.

But I do the same.

the same 6900XT.

My 6900xt started having driver install problems. But worked fine when I finally got the driver installed. I was blaming AMD's drivers for been totally crap.

Except one day nothing worked and it just black screened halfway through installing any driver.

I had to RMA my 6900XT it was faulty. New one has no problems at all.

Maybe it's not the case with yours, but the symptoms are very similar to mine. I think your 6900XT is failing and one day it will black screen and will only work if no driver is installed.

My 6900xt started having driver install problems. But worked fine when I finally got the driver installed. I was blaming AMD's drivers for been totally crap.

Except one day nothing worked and it just black screened halfway through installing any driver.

Maybe it's not the case with yours, but the symptoms are very similar to mine. I think your 6900XT is failing and one day it will black screen and will only work if no driver is installed.
Same. Thought my 6800xt drivers were messing up. Occasional blue screen when playing games and full screen videos would flicker black. Finally got around to putting my wife's 6700xt in my pc to test. Totally stable. Sending in the card for RMA.

That really sounds like my scenario. Once the driver is installed it works fine. Now I don't even get half way for the driver install before black screen/reboot unless I now go through the DDU route. Have to try the AMD uninstall utility. Figure the clean install on the driver option was the same thing, maybe not.

I have not tried that driver yet,but I always do the factory reset with new driver or DDU if needed, may try that C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\Bin64\AMDCleanupUtility.exe

I did a pile on job with a factory reset on the RX 6700/ 5600x rig and the is driver 22 .10 . 3 and is perfect so far.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/28691357/fs/28697558#
Looky looky, fixes issues with driver 22.10.3
  • Black screen may occur during driver upgrade or settings reset using Microsoft® Windows® 11 version 22H2 on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
LIke to think my feedback through their problem reports fixed this. Will try when I get a chance, most likely in a few days.

Looky looky, fixes issues with driver 22.10.3
  • Black screen may occur during driver upgrade or settings reset using Microsoft® Windows® 11 version 22H2 on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs.
LIke to think my feedback through their problem reports fixed this. Will try when I get a chance, most likely in a few days.
Trying to get that new game Uncharted running on this system, odd game waiting on shaders to build and after that, game starts / after getting just a little into the game as walk a few steps and crash to desktop. I am not going to say it's the driver yet being a new game,so I will report back trying something else gaming. but that RX 6700 is running on Window 10 is the different I see Noko.

The RTX 3070 was on Window 11 and no rebar with x470 vs RX 6700 on Window 10 with SAM on with B550

Edit, I did it THUMPer way and then came back to windows, got the AMD auto scan software, came back 22.10 .3 and then I picked factory reset, it had to reboot 2 times like that installing the driver it's way, Cyberpunk looks really good with Re Live recording itself and no shutter other then Youtube buffer.

Last edited:
22.10.3 installation installed without a hitch. Looks like AMD corrected issue with their drivers and Windows 11 22H2 for at least on my 6900XT. First time in months a regular installation just worked.

22.10.3 installation installed without a hitch. Looks like AMD corrected issue with their drivers and Windows 11 22H2 for at least on my 6900XT. First time in months a regular installation just worked.

Glad it wasn't a failing card after all!!

Reactions: noko
like this
I reinstalled my RX 6600 on the B550 / 5600x system and have driver 22. 11 .1 up and running on Windows 10

Just use Trumper's trick, ran it and pulled the RX 6700, booted right up without a cmos reset, plus it on Display Port 165Hz

I've had the hard crash during driver update basically the entire time I've had my 6900XT.

What I found works,

-Restart into safe mode, use AMD cleanup utility
-Restart normally, install new driver

I think I've been able to update normally once or twice without doing the above process, pretty annoying.

I turn off one monitor when I do updates (have 2), but haven't had issues on my Threadripper box so far. But I'm also still on Win10

I turn off one monitor when I do updates (have 2), but haven't had issues on my Threadripper box so far. But I'm also still on Win10
Looks like an exclusive feature for Windows 11 in this case, the crashing that is. Newest optional driver worked, will see on future drivers.

Not trying to be rude, but this is why I stick with the none beta drivers. I never have issues with the WHQL drivers. The only problem is EA is gating their COD MW2 2022 game behind Beta AMD drivers.

Not trying to be rude, but this is why I stick with the none beta drivers. I never have issues with the WHQL drivers. The only problem is EA is gating their COD MW2 2022 game behind Beta AMD drivers.
Don’t play COD? 😂.

I kid, but…. I haven’t played one that wasn’t at least a year old in forever. But I don’t play multiplayer except zombies. And not even that much now.

I’ve not heard of widespread issues installing this driver. I personally had zero issues installing it with a 6800xt and z690 system.

Sure.........
Just could't resist posting.

this happens on 22.7.1 and can trigger blackscreens, heck doing similar on world of warcraft for example can trigger a blackscreen and a permanent system freeze as well on 22.11.2 currently.
There actually a lot of AMD users having blackscreen issues especially started to be noticeable with 22.7.1 however you can reproduce some of these blackscreens even on 22.5.1 AMD probably realized that and decided to recommend 22.11.2 since it does fix the MPO flicker that i just linked im not sure about gpu driver crashes however.
Sorry for bumping an old thread.
There many ways to trigger blackscreens an APP that is MPO unstable can trigger it as well.
MPO is Multi-plane overlays disabling this can fix the blackscreens and make desktop use stable but gaming however if you have issues in games you are probably screwed cos if its not stable with MPO its not gonna be stable without either, chances are you will have issues with MPO disabled regardless.

OP can try this fix from Nvidia also works for AMD but there downsides to it especially when using HDR on desktop for example and reduced input lag but there also stability issues with latest drivers included
AMD has not listed known issues despite many having reported fixed their issues by disabling MPO they worked at making things more stable but really slow......

MPO is also used to keep GPU in check and give a more stable framerate however when it stutters and has issues it becomes highly unstable which is what is leading to these gpu spikes that can make any system blackscreen or gpu crash.

I personally would avoid any apps that have MPO instability and just switch to to an alternative like whatsapp desktop for video calls can trigger blackscreens but it became less consistent but still unstable, while signal does not.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ady-driver-461.09-or-newer,-some-desktop-apps

Personally i would leave MPO enabled and just spam AMD with bug reports cos they are being ignorant fools right now thinking we won't notice driver issues.
If you seen the flicker i linked ever go try and investigate on 22.5.1 for example and have harrdware accelerated webviews enabled in steam interface options and reproduce it the flicker happens when making a window from big to small, but if done rapidly like a maniac it can even cause blackscreens and cause gpu driver crash, heck it can even happen without a blackscreen and just a gpu driver crash.

MPO flicker was fixed in later optional driver i believe in either october or november.
22.7.1 is one of the most reliable drivers to test for blackscreens without having to reset your entire system, so it may actually be most stable driver if you disable MPO that is.

Anyway AMD drivers are giving me ptsd even making me doubt my system is stable making me wish there was a component that was failing like power supply cpu or memory, if tested different memory and psu already have spare cpu but at this point if given up.

I might as well buy an Nvidia gpu and risk getting burned by the sun with the 12 pin that can melt, atleast its something i can control, as i cannot control AMD driver quality clearly even tho spamming reports at this points they still ignore me.

Sure.........
Just could't resist posting.

this happens on 22.7.1 and can trigger blackscreens, heck doing similar on world of warcraft for example can trigger a blackscreen and a permanent system freeze as well on 22.11.2 currently.
There actually a lot of AMD users having blackscreen issues especially started to be noticeable with 22.7.1 however you can reproduce some of these blackscreens even on 22.5.1 AMD probably realized that and decided to recommend 22.11.2 since it does fix the MPO flicker that i just linked im not sure about gpu driver crashes however.
Sorry for bumping an old thread.
There many ways to trigger blackscreens an APP that is MPO unstable can trigger it as well.
MPO is Multi-plane overlays disabling this can fix the blackscreens and make desktop use stable but gaming however if you have issues in games you are probably screwed cos if its not stable with MPO its not gonna be stable without either, chances are you will have issues with MPO disabled regardless.

OP can try this fix from Nvidia also works for AMD but there downsides to it especially when using HDR on desktop for example and reduced input lag but there also stability issues with latest drivers included
AMD has not listed known issues despite many having reported fixed their issues by disabling MPO they worked at making things more stable but really slow......

MPO is also used to keep GPU in check and give a more stable framerate however when it stutters and has issues it becomes highly unstable which is what is leading to these gpu spikes that can make any system blackscreen or gpu crash.

I personally would avoid any apps that have MPO instability and just switch to to an alternative like whatsapp desktop for video calls can trigger blackscreens but it became less consistent but still unstable, while signal does not.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/~/after-updating-to-nvidia-game-ready-driver-461.09-or-newer,-some-desktop-apps

Personally i would leave MPO enabled and just spam AMD with bug reports cos they are being ignorant fools right now thinking we won't notice driver issues.
If you seen the flicker i linked ever go try and investigate on 22.5.1 for example and have harrdware accelerated webviews enabled in steam interface options and reproduce it the flicker happens when making a window from big to small, but if done rapidly like a maniac it can even cause blackscreens and cause gpu driver crash, heck it can even happen without a blackscreen and just a gpu driver crash.

MPO flicker was fixed in later optional driver i believe in either october or november.
22.7.1 is one of the most reliable drivers to test for blackscreens without having to reset your entire system, so it may actually be most stable driver if you disable MPO that is.

Anyway AMD drivers are giving me ptsd even making me doubt my system is stable making me wish there was a component that was failing like power supply cpu or memory, if tested different memory and psu already have spare cpu but at this point if given up.

I might as well buy an Nvidia gpu and risk getting burned by the sun with the 12 pin that can melt, atleast its something i can control, as i cannot control AMD driver quality clearly even tho spamming reports at this points they still ignore me.

maybe dont run outdated drivers?!

maybe dont run outdated drivers?!

It happens on new drivers as well not in steam but with other apps and games its unavoidable until AMD list known issues and fixes those issues
Older drivers are just proof of past driver issues at this point, heck AMD stopped recommending 22.5.1 as its not stable probably and they found out users are disabling MPO but they aren't listing these issues as known issue currently or recommending disabling MPO either, so those un aware have even more unstable drivers.

It happens on new drivers as well not in steam but with other apps and games its unavoidable until AMD list known issues and fixes those issues
Older drivers are just proof of past driver issues at this point, heck AMD stopped recommending 22.5.1 as its not stable probably and they found out users are disabling MPO but they aren't listing these issues as known issue currently or recommending disabling MPO either, so those un aware have even more unstable drivers.
Older drivers have issues and addressed by newer drivers. Newer drivers can have issues and will be replaced by yet newer drivers -> gotcha

If drivers were magically perfect then there would be no need for any updates other than adding in new features and hardware designs -> not going to happen.

Nvidia, AMD and Intel will be plague with driver issues. That will most likely not change.

A number of black screens are related more to cabling and other hardware. My EVGA 3090 was plagued with blackscreens on a cable that worked good on the 6900XT. The worst I've ever experienced. Worked with EVGA with it, a better cable totally cleared it up.

A number of black screens are related more to cabling and other hardware. My EVGA 3090 was plagued with blackscreens on a cable that worked good on the 6900XT. The worst I've ever experienced. Worked with EVGA with it, a better cable totally cleared it up.

Cards are getting way more sensitive to cable quality. I guess as speeds and frequencies go up the tolerances get closer and closer. Gone are the days of slapping in any old VGA/DVI cable.

Well, my 5600x/ B550 / RX 6600 is on Windows 11 now with driver 22 . 11 . 2

it's hooked up to a cheap Wal- Mart / Hisense 4K Roku T.V. @ 60hz and everything is working great for me so far, played some World of Tanks in 4K high and getting 96.8 fps avg according to the driver interface that keeps track.

When I see stuff like this I think "what on earth are people doing with their systems?"

I can imagine the setups...98 items in the Taskbar corner...:eek:
Mine are all weird as hell, but half of them are VMs or vm hosts and doing weirder things still. A script determines what each machine does in the morning.

Speaking of cable quality i got a club 3D display port 1.4 HBR3 cable if you think that made a difference in reproducing blackscreens or experiencing less issues think again.
I meanwhile installed linux and have been more stable on linux then i am on windows, heck if yet to experience a crash on linux at all.

I used AMD's uninstaller to remove 22.11.2, then I pulled the RX 6600 and installed the RX 6700, reinstalled 22.11.2 driver, I wanted to see if the 10Gb of vram helped any for Fortnite 5.1 engine. Re Live was recording the video!

I used AMD's uninstaller to remove 22.11.2, then I pulled the RX 6600 and installed the RX 6700, reinstalled 22.11.2 driver, I wanted to see if the 10Gb of vram helped any for Fortnite 5.1 engine. Re Live was recording the video!

and what does that have to do with the thread topic?

Back