AM5 suggestions for 3 full speed NVME 4.0 drives?

Surly

Limp Gawd
I’m putting together a new system for the first time in 9 years and am looking at a 3x 2TB nvme sticks configuration. I would like a board that supports full speed/full lanes on all of them while still having a 16 lane pcie5 gpu slot.

I am assuming this configuration is only going to be available with the X670E chipset, not the X650E? Will pretty much any X670E ATX board be able to support this or do I still need to be careful? I must say the nvme capabilities of modern boards is the most confusing aspect I find…

Wow, what a leap forward from my old x299 rig.
I wonder what my next desktop workstation will look like if I need the local power again.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Did an AM5 microATX build (GENE...what else?) - wanted to KISS so I got the WD SN850X 4TB (die hard Samsung guy - have like 6x 980 Pro 2TBs throughout the house) - I have been super happy with it.

Had no clue about the 990! That is awesome. If it were 4TB I would feel pangs of regret. :)

Did an AM5 microATX build (GENE...what else?) - wanted to KISS so I got the WD SN850X 4TB (die hard Samsung guy - have like 6x 980 Pro 2TBs throughout the house) - I have been super happy with it.

Had no clue about the 990! That is awesome. If it were 4TB I would feel pangs of regret. :)

4TB coming next year.

I’m putting together a new system for the first time in 9 years and am looking at a 3x 2TB nvme sticks configuration. I would like a board that supports full speed/full lanes on all of them while still having a 16 lane pcie5 gpu slot.

I am assuming this configuration is only going to be available with the X670E chipset, not the X650E? Will pretty much any X670E ATX board be able to support this or do I still need to be careful? I must say the nvme capabilities of modern boards is the most confusing aspect I find…
Newegg for me was hazy on if you populate the 2nd pcie slot on what happens to the first. Anyways like my MSI 570S Edge where you always have PCIe 4.0 x16 on the first pcie slot (reason for my pick, same as yours but for AM5) MSI B650 Edge Wifi:
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B650-EDGE-WIFI/Specification

Except in this case the 2nd PCIe x16 slot is only x2, kinda limiting, meaning putting a 4th pcie SSD would be limiting. In my case I can put in 4 pcie 4 x4 m2 drives and one pcie 3 x4 m2 but an AM4 mb vice AM5. Anyways let us know if you find a good fit for your requirements, I had the same reasoning but went with the 5800X3D.

The high-end AM5 boards, like the Asus Hero or the MSI Ace, have PCIe add-in cards to really max out NVMe storage. Not like video cards are even certified for 5.0 bandwidth so even if the main slot gets get to x8 5.0 it won't be a big deal.

Back