**It's DEAD, Jim!** Logitech MX518 $19.99 and more on sale at Best Buy

My MX510 just died. I just happened to stumble upon this thread. Just snagged an MX518. Thanks. They also had a PS5 open box listed. However, it wouldn't let me buy it. Went out of stock while trying to buy. My guess is that it was never there to begin with.

1606259144907.png

It's Tuesday and this sale is still alive. I'm thinking a LOT of people are going to be getting fat grey mice for gifts this year.

I picked up a g502 hero se to back up my proteus. Ill be hanging onto the 518s i bought to bundle with builds later this year or gift them this x-mas. These are great price to performance buys.

snacked the mc518 with shipping adn taxe it hir just sort of the 30bucsk giftcards i had from buying presents for my wife ( coffe maker)

Anyway since best buy refuse to let you donate the leftover from gift cars to the st jude hospital i am instead giving out my remaing 2bucks and 44 cents to a [H] member
Why ? because F' best buy for not letting me donate it. just so they can expect it to go obsoleted and grab the money.

Hit me up in pm and ill send a pm with card number and pin
dont do it for the 2 bucks do it to stick it to best buy too :D

Reactions: maro
like this
snacked the mc518 with shipping adn taxe it hir just sort of the 30bucsk giftcards i had from buying presents for my wife ( coffe maker)

Anyway since best buy refuse to let you donate the leftover from gift cars to the st jude hospital i am instead giving out my remaing 2bucks and 44 cents to a [H] member
Why ? because F' best buy for not letting me donate it. just so they can expect it to go obsoleted and grab the money.

Hit me up in pm and ill send a pm with card number and pin
dont do it for the 2 bucks do it to stick it to best buy too :D

That's always a major annoyance with gift credit/debit cards. Here's a tip for future reference: Amazon allows you to cash in your unspent card balances for Amazon gift card credit. The process is very quick and simple, and there doesn't seem to be any minimum. Works great for all those low-denomination mail-in-rebate cards.

It's nice to see that the holiday spirit is alive and well on the [H] 🎅

like this
I forgot to post back in this thread...

It turns out the wheel on these things are worse than I thought. That scratchy/chalky feel worsened, and it got so bad after a couple days it actually started squeaking! I sprayed a little DeoxIt D5 in there (straight mineral oil would work when new and clean) and the scratchiness is completely gone. The click still feels and sounds slightly different scrolling up than down, but I'm ok with that.

Still more than worth the $20 if you ask me.

I just thought I would give a heads up on that.

like this

It turns out the wheel on these things are worse than I thought. That scratchy/chalky feel worsened, and it got so bad after a couple days it actually started squeaking! I sprayed a little DeoxIt D5 in there (straight mineral oil would work when new and clean) and the scratchiness is completely gone. The click still feels and sounds slightly different scrolling up than down, but I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the heads-up.
I havent noticed a difference between my 502 proteus(spelling?) or the new 502 se. They seem to be exactly the same other than the white color of the se. I havent tried out the 518s tho. Ill check them out after xmas(gifts) and see how they feel. I agree. The price to performance is to good to pass up at least trying one 518.

Scroll wheel has always been the weak link on logitech mice, seems like every other brand's are much better for whatever reason. Usually they end up scrolling 2 times for 1 notch or 1 time for 2 notches or something similar lol.

I love the form factor, but this is an experience that i have as well. The scroll wheel is terrible compared to my 502se and G500s,
however, that feel of the thing is right on.

The wheel is not great. It wasn't great on the OG 510 or 518 either but in some ways is worse on this new model. The 'chalky' feel and noise seem to go away as it wears in and it has become tolerable (mine scrolls smoothly and quietly now but still feels cheap). IMO put the notched metal wheel from the OG 502 with the selectable freewheel in the 518 and it would be the perfect mouse - but probably wouldn't be on sale for $20 either.

As it is the wheel is not priority and not the reason I like and use the 518 - it's the comfortable shape.

Scroll wheel has always been the weak link on logitech mice, seems like every other brand's are much better for whatever reason. Usually they end up scrolling 2 times for 1 notch or 1 time for 2 notches or something similar lol.
Surprisingly, I haven't had that problem with the 518 - yet. Every mouse I've ever owned from logitech has done that out of the box. Even my G700s, which seems to have a much higher quality wheel than all the others I've owned.

Surprisingly, I haven't had that problem with the 518 - yet. Every mouse I've ever owned from logitech has done that out of the box. Even my G700s, which seems to have a much higher quality wheel than all the others I've owned.
Ive never had an issue with any of mine. It has always been the left or right click that would eventually malfunction. It either would register multiple unwanted clicks or none at all. Ive actually got a couple in the parts bin that i never got around to fixing(forget if they were 518s tho), just ended up getting a new mouse instead. Tbh thats why i initially bought the 518s and then decided the 502 se was worth checking out as well. I may grab the black 502 while its on sale too. I hate having to replace a mouse that ive grown accustomed to.
Not to mention you can never have enough back up gear!

The wheel is not great. It wasn't great on the OG 510 or 518 either but in some ways is worse on this new model. The 'chalky' feel and noise seem to go away as it wears in and it has become tolerable (mine scrolls smoothly and quietly now but still feels cheap). IMO put the notched metal wheel from the OG 502 with the selectable freewheel in the 518 and it would be the perfect mouse - but probably wouldn't be on sale for $20 either.

As it is the wheel is not priority and not the reason I like and use the 518 - it's the comfortable shape.
My MX510 just died right before I found this deal posted here. It works fine except the scroll wheel just doesn't register anything. I've got two 518s now. The scroll wheel on the 518 feels horrible compared to the 510, but it works. Are 510s "fixable"

usually it's just an accumulation of dust/dirt/etc that blocks the sensor for scroll wheel - it's an easy fix if so. Given the age I suppose the sensor itself could've died but I'd try cleaning it (and the 'spokes' of the wheel) first.

You guys need to try a ROCCAT Kone Pure Ultra or OWL-EYE if you're complaining about the wheel on the MX518. I used the MX518 for a decade and the Roccat is better in every way including shape in my hands. The wheel is also lightyears ahead. YMMV depending on your hand size/grip etc.

The 518 is on sale again at Best Buy for $24.99. Not as good as original sale but still a good deal if you missed it.

aaaaaand just in time for the holidays (ok actually really really early) the $20 MX518 is back at Best Buy - time to load up on stocking stuffers for all the people you didnt give one of these to last year
😁

Indeed.

like this
If they added the scroll mouse wheel lock/unlock as found on the G502, this wouldn't be the mouse of the year, it be the mouse of the century!

$20 is still a phenomenal deal.

Bought one, tried to like it, used it for 3 months, retired it to the spare parts shelf. It never felt right, probably the light weight.

like this
I still love mine, probably always will love that shape. I get it's not for everyone though. TBH I'm currently using a G305 wireless with the Hero sensor and I love it in spite of the two shapes being so opposite...

I enjoy this mouse. I bought two of them which was good because the first one died an early death.

my old MX510 finally gave up the ghost....after OVER 20 YEARS! i can't hold that against it. it actually still sort of works...scroll wheel has started acting of its own accord. tried cleaning it out, didn't help. i have work training from home today, so ran out on break. gotta have it unfortunately. got the last MX518 at staples on sale for $35 CAD. super happy since it's virtually the same thing. the 518 is slightly lighter but i'm very much enjoying the much improved sensor.

very happy logitech resurrected this mouse.

I clean my MX518 on the inside sometimes. Mainly to pick up crap from around the wheel assembly and thoroughly clean the upper shell.

Thought I'd share a tip - after only a few times, it would probably help to just change out those teflon pads which one needs to remove to get at the screws. In my case, the corner of one became unglued and annoyingly scraped at the mousepad. Had to snip that little corner off with scissors.
So, get spare feet, basically :D

I clean my MX518 on the inside sometimes. Mainly to pick up crap from around the wheel assembly and thoroughly clean the upper shell.

Thought I'd share a tip - after only a few times, it would probably help to just change out those teflon pads which one needs to remove to get at the screws. In my case, the corner of one became unglued and annoyingly scraped at the mousepad. Had to snip that little corner off with scissors.
So, get spare feet, basically :D
Have any feet kit replacement recommendations?

Thanks I can google too, was looking more for a specific brand/type that someone might have used and liked the performance compared to the original.
No, sorry, no recommendations (yet). Mine remains slightly disfigured for now :)

aaaaaand just in time for the holidays (ok actually really really early) the $20 MX518 is back at Best Buy - time to load up on stocking stuffers for all the people you didnt give one of these to last year
😁

THANK YOU!

like this
... just when you thought it was gone forever (lol), this deal is BACK! Not just the mx518 either, and not just Logitech.

Get those stocking stuffers early!

Back