Alice: Madness Returns $5.99 on Steam

Viper87227

Fully [H]
This is 80% for Steam's daily deal today, comes to $5.99. I dunno if it's been this cheap already in other places, but for the Steam hold-outs, this seems like a pretty good price to jump. Thought I'd share...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/19680/

Last edited:
It was the same price on Amazon over the weekend. I bought it but haven't played yet.

Great game for $6.00. A well done platformer with interesting graphics and decent combat.

Awesome. Thanks! Loved the first one, this one looks just as cool. A nice addition for a nice price!

Heads up, this game is locked at 16:9 no matter what you do, it rigidly enforces black bars to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio.

It's possible to run it in Eyefinity, as seen here: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/alice-madness-returns/en

But it requires you replace the game executable with a "no CD" version so that the Hayden's widescreen fixer (which modified the game in-memory) doesn't trigger the game's copyright protection and cause the game to close itself.

Really fun game. $6 is a no-brainer for this if you enjoy platformers.

I decided to play through some of the game today in honour of the sale. :) If you crank up the SGSSAA in Nvida Inspector, using the aim mode with the pepper gun will cause an FPS drop. You have to do that often to trigger switches, can easily toggle out of that mode though and game returns to normal.

It ran fine for me at 3240x1920. (Nvidia Surround portrait) I change one ini file to adjust the FOV. Overall a good game.

It ran fine for me at 3240x1920. (Nvidia Surround portrait) I change one ini file to adjust the FOV. Overall a good game.
How did you make it work without Hayden's widescreen fixer?

Last time i tried INI edits, they didn't remove the black bars from the image which limited it to a 16:9 box.

Awesome game! Loved every minute of it, on my second playthrough right now.

Stop making me spend more money.:cool: I always wanted to play that game but never had a 360. I don't think it's out for PS3.

I paid 2.50 for Limbo but I didn't really enjoy it. Not terrible, but frustrating to play. More art than a game.

Did they finally fix the umbrella glitch on the PC version? I played the game two months after release and they still had the bug where you could not use the Umbrella once you picked it up. And of course since the controls are obfuscated through multiple layers of configuration files, you have to play a game within a game just to fix the problem.

http://answers.pubarticles.com/6446...itch-in-alice-madness-returns-1308130394.html

The game is so buggy that it pissed me off, and the dearth of save points makes play through repetitive once the difficulty ratchets up and you start dying. I put the game down after a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Wow is was $5.99 for you guys? Over here in Europe it was being sold for €9.99. Seems like it was a good idea to pass up and wait to see if the game will be sold cheaper during the summer sale.

I like it on PC, very pretty game. The Physx effects are cool if you're using an NVidia card. I watched some videos on it and it had zero appeal; too much weird and I lose interest. I ended up getting it for 2.50 using an amazon $5 code when it was 7.50 based on the recommendations of others and am glad I did. It's definitely unique and overall a lot of fun but there are some super-annoying elements to it like trying to jump across vast expanses by landing on invisible, moving platforms (I mean .. really?). I never played the first game and know lots of guys who did hate this version of it. Worth $6 IMHO as a between game time-filler at the very least.

I like it on PC, very pretty game. The Physx effects are cool if you're using an NVidia card. I watched some videos on it and it had zero appeal; too much weird and I lose interest. I ended up getting it for 2.50 using an amazon $5 code when it was 7.50 based on the recommendations of others and am glad I did. It's definitely unique and overall a lot of fun but there are some super-annoying elements to it like trying to jump across vast expanses by landing on invisible, moving platforms (I mean .. really?). I never played the first game and know lots of guys who did hate this version of it. Worth $6 IMHO as a between game time-filler at the very least.

You can see the invisible platforms any time by shrinking yourself.

I know, it's still tedious and adds no element of fun IMO. That kind of gameplay should have been buried with the original Mario Bros games.

Here is the info;

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4017864&postcount=118

I also locked the FPS to 60 instead of 30 as default. Once completed I made the file read only because sometimes I notice it will overwrite the file to defaults again.

Yeah, that doesn't fix the problem, the game applies black bars to maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio no matter what FOV setting you use.

You have to use Hayden's widescreen fixer to to get Alice running properly at resolutions wider than 16:9 (resolutions like 5760x1200).

Last edited:
Did they finally fix the umbrella glitch on the PC version? I played the game two months after release and they still had the bug where you could not use the Umbrella once you picked it up. And of course since the controls are obfuscated through multiple layers of configuration files, you have to play a game within a game just to fix the problem.

http://answers.pubarticles.com/6446...itch-in-alice-madness-returns-1308130394.html

The game is so buggy that it pissed me off, and the dearth of save points makes play through repetitive once the difficulty ratchets up and you start dying. I put the game down after a couple weeks.

I never noticed any umbrella glitches. You had to be locked onto the enemy in order to use the umbrella. If you weren't locked on, you can't use it.

Yeah, the inability to save where you want is annoying. However, the automatic save points are fairly strategically laid out, so that when you do die (I find it very rare to actually die in the game, mostly just falling off and returning to the starting platform), you don't get sent back that far. Usually, it autosaves right before major battles, so if you die, you just start the battle all over again.

Didnt one of the release versions of it come iwth the previous American Mcgee alice game?

I know, it's still tedious and adds no element of fun IMO. That kind of gameplay should have been buried with the original Mario Bros games.

Yeah, it is definitely a platformer with a lot of "jumping puzzles". That is really the one thing I was not too fond of about the game. The art style and content are awesome, though.

I really enjoyed this game--picked it up during a previous sale and played quite a bit before the next "shiny" new title came out and captured my attention.

Didnt one of the release versions of it come iwth the previous American Mcgee alice game?

Yes, You get the first one also. Which was nice if you never played it. Thanks

Edit: Too bad the deal is dead though. Seems a lot of people missed out on the deal.

I paid 2.50 for Limbo but I didn't really enjoy it. Not terrible, but frustrating to play. More art than a game.

Just finished it.

SPOILER ALERT

I just happen to watch the 10 worst game endings on youtube. This ranks up there. There is no ending. After all those clever puzzles they couldn't come up with an ending? Oh well onto Alice.

Where have all the great games of the past gone? I still haven't found something like Heroes of Might and Magic III. The newer ones weren't as good.

Well you can unlocks the game along with the pre-order weapons/dresses. I think this gives you the original game too, but it didn't run for me in W7.

Go to My Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\

Open AliceEngine.ini

At bottom under [AliceGame.AliceGameEngine], change GIsSpecialPCEdition=FALSE to TRUE will unlock all DLC dresses and weapons.

Worked fine for me at this res. doing a few ini file edits like you, When I was playing it over Christmas.

The Xbox version gave the original game as DLC. If you have A:MR on Xbox, you can purchase the DLC in case you got A:MR second hand and the DLC code is missing or used.

I missed this...if anyone has an extra or wants to sell their Steam version, send me a PM.

This was actually one of my favorite games I have played over this last year or so. Not great like Skyrim, or Battlefield, but I really got a kick out of it. The hair physics on the Alice model were really great, and can be easily run off of a reasonably fast CPU. It did get frustrating at times, and got a little drawn out for me. Kinda buggy, but I didn't think it was too bad.

Also, I thought the ending was well done, and was totally satisfied on that front.

Not a bad game. I always liked the story and played the first one a while ago and liked it. For $6 it's just right. Now for anything more no way.

Back