Alder Lake launching November 4th

I got some corsair dominators but I'm still F5ing newegg to get some g.skill 5600s which are not micron lol

Well I torn down my 10850K PC gaimg rig and replaced it with 12900K and I only PC game at 4K. There is 0% difference in FPS with about 20 Games tested so far.
At 720P lowest settings there is a hugh difference.
I always scratch my itch for new PC gear but I am an idiot and it is a hobby for me. Owned 10+ CPU's in the last 2 years and they were all the same at 4K PC gaming.
I hope you realize that at 4K you are GPU limited and not CPU-limited. Whether you have an older CPU or the latest Alder-Lake, at 4K, especially in gaming, it makes very little difference.

I have 3 rigs - 6950X, 10900K, and W-3175X - I game at 5120x1440 @ 240hz, 4K 144hz, and 4K 120hz respectively and the CPUs perform about the same in games. Rendering video and photo editing etc. OTOH, the 28-core/56-thread behemoth at 4.5Ghz just destroys all.

I too got the 12900KF and am upgrading the 10900K rig - I skipped the 11900K since it was 2 fewer cores but Alder-Lake is a nice step up into PCI-E 4.0 Nvme which I've been wanting to do.

I hope you realize that at 4K you are GPU limited and not CPU-limited. Whether you have an older CPU or the latest Alder-Lake, at 4K, especially in gaming, it makes very little difference.

I have 3 rigs - 6950X, 10900K, and W-3175X - I game at 5120x1440 @ 240hz, 4K 144hz, and 4K 120hz respectively and the CPUs perform about the same in games. Rendering video and photo editing etc. OTOH, the 28-core/56-thread behemoth at 4.5Ghz just destroys all.

I too got the 12900KF and am upgrading the 10900K rig - I skipped the 11900K since it was 2 fewer cores but Alder-Lake is a nice step up into PCI-E 4.0 Nvme which I've been wanting to do.
I knew exactly what I was doing.I acknowledge I was an idiot and PC gaming would be no difference in this very thread lol,https://hardforum.com/threads/alder-lake-launching-november-4th.2014110/post-1045185942

Reads like you may be like me,even when you know the difference.Gen 4 NVME I am running some S70 blades they seem slow today but are still good enough for what I do.
s70 blade.jpg

Even 1080p is a GPU bound res with modern CPUs under many games these days. I recently got Forza 5 for example which hovers my 12700K in the 15-20% utilisation range whilst the RTX 2070 Super OC is 99% or 100%, the same applies to Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition with slightly higher CPU Utilisation but still low enough to show that at 2560x1080 the GPU is what matters most.

The upshot of a CPU like these modern mid to high end now is that the minimum fps, the lowest range, is evened out considerably better whereas with an older CPU you will have had dips throughout segments of gameplay, not so any more. That's where the CPU helps. The GPU sustains that average fps. Both go hand in hand at 1080P or above on modern games.

Unless you plan stuff with a lot of AI NPCs. Isometric style RPGs or 4X games can still be CPU bound at 4K depending on the title.

Does that surprise you? It was already heavily Intel biased program before AL, and AL is faster than CML and RKL.
its no surprise that Alder Lake is faster than previous Intels?

Mostly, I posted it as a reminder that RPCS3 supports AVX-512.

i've been using the 12600k for over a week, and this thing looks pretty efficient.

looking at task manager, under normal usage, the pcores barely get any activity.

Capture.PNG

Thing is guys above comparing task manager, you need to note that individual usage patterns will vary vastly as not everyone's "normal" usage is the same. I use Photoshop and Lightroom a lot, my cores and up and down all the time. So my task manager would look obtuse compared to yours lol.

What is efficient however are the temps and overall system performance, for that I find these new chips supreme. Check these values out:

HGTYL4D.jpg

What's also very efficient is multicore usage in games. Early chatter suggested that games don't really care about the e cores, but my findings in both Metro Enhanced and Cyberpunk 2077 prove that all threads are sharing the workload evenly, which kinda explains the really good sustained minimum frames I guess too.

cuXoMt9.jpg

Thing is guys above comparing task manager, you need to note that individual usage patterns will vary vastly as not everyone's "normal" usage is the same. I use Photoshop and Lightroom a lot, my cores and up and down all the time. So my task manager would look obtuse compared to yours lol.

What is efficient however are the temps and overall system performance, for that I find these new chips supreme. Check these values out:

What's also very efficient is multicore usage in games. Early chatter suggested that games don't really care about the e cores, but my findings in both Metro Enhanced and Cyberpunk 2077 prove that all threads are sharing the workload evenly, which kinda explains the really good sustained minimum frames I guess too.
I agree very efficient is multicore usage in games. I can hit 180+watts in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I love it
180w-SOTTR.jpg

I had a 12600k combo and a 12700k combo in my cart today at different times...will probably just stick it out a little longer.

Other than a scheduler that supports Alder Lake.
I forget where but I saw something the other day that said right now it just prioritizes foreground tasks to P cores which is what happens normally anyway. If I find it I'll link it here. Good thing I guess is it can be updated via firmware so at least they can make it work in the future.

I forget where but I saw something the other day that said right now it just prioritizes foreground tasks to P cores which is what happens normally anyway. If I find it I'll link it here. Good thing I guess is it can be updated via firmware so at least they can make it work in the future.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16959/intel-innovation-alder-lake-november-4th/3

What makes Windows 11 better than Windows 10 in this regard is that Windows 10 focuses more on the power of certain cores, whereas Windows 11 expands that to efficiency as well. While Windows 10 considers the E-cores as lower performance than P-cores, it doesn’t know how well each core does at a given frequency with a workload, whereas Windows 11 does. Combine that with an instruction prioritization model, and Intel states that under Windows 11, users should expect a lot better consistency in performance when it comes to hybrid CPU designs.

I know its Microcenter and not everyone has access to one but damn! Anyone think the lack of DDR5 inventory is a factor here or just Microcenter being Microcenter and doing the loss leader thing? I must admit that a DDR4 board and the 12700k sounds pretty fun to mess with considering this sale here.
AL MC.PNG

I know its Microcenter and not everyone has access to one but damn! Anyone think the lack of DDR5 inventory is a factor here or just Microcenter being Microcenter and doing the loss leader thing? I must admit that a DDR4 board and the 12700k sounds pretty fun to mess with considering this sale here.
View attachment 415583
I'm going to visit the closest one to me tomorrow. never been to one myself, but if they indeed have this deal I may just jump on it.

View attachment 415583
Wow that’s a fantastic 12700k price. $50 less than Best Buy.
Also good for the 12600k.
Although, their 12900k is $30 more…

Wow that’s a fantastic 12700k price. $50 less than Best Buy.
Also good for the 12600k.
Although, their 12900k is $30 more…

They will price match Best Buy if it's in stock for the 12900k. I had them price match the Z690i with Newegg but you don't get the combo discount when they price match.

What price did you get the 12700k for?

Make sure to grab the new Gigabyte bios from a couple of days ago ;)
$369 for the Processor and got the $20 off with the motherboard purchase as well. Actually booted with my NVME the first time, but ended up flashing the BIOS as I always do with a new board. XMP works fine as well. Only thing that was disappointment was that MC didn't have air coolers that were compatibible with the cpu and motherboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather interesting cheers
unrelated to that but loaded windows 11 on my SR-3 board and it is very heavy in downclocking the cores when running game benchmarks if they aren't focused in balanced power plan lol. 1 core at 48, rest at like 10-20, with benchmark focused all at 48 lol. Windows 10 with the same bios settings = all cores at 48 both ways.

I don't actually know what the differences are in core scheduling between Balanced and Max performance power plans as have always had it in Max Perf - Time to investigate!

Back