Alder Lake launching November 4th

I was just thinking of what to do for my next build. The Alderlake info sounds pretty interesting to me. I've had AMD for a few generations and I think if Intel can compete, I'll do a Team Blue box next, maybe a SFF. Hope they don't muck it up!

I was just thinking of what to do for my next build. The Alderlake info sounds pretty interesting to me. I've had AMD for a few generations and I think if Intel can compete, I'll do a Team Blue box next, maybe a SFF. Hope they don't muck it up!

I'd wait for the power draw numbers before planning a SFF build :eek:

After reading a bit, to me the pricing is the big clue here. Intel rarely gives anything away for free. The pricing for Intel is very competitive. To me that tells me this isn't the Bugatti they promised. More like the Camaro to the Mustang trading blows type scenario. I have a feeling AMD with the huge Vcache coming up is going to hang with these if not beat them, at least in Windows 10 versus these in Windows 11. We'll see, only time will tell.

I just hope its not scalped for 9 months. Maybe Intel is sitting on a Half Million of these at launch. The Graphic card thing for the past year was ridiculous along with consoles.

Last edited:
The problem right now for me is that there's only 1 useful MB available. I think I might just go the prebuilt route this time around, because I don't feel like gambling on getting all the necessary components separately.

The problem right now for me is that there's only 1 useful MB available. I think I might just go the prebuilt route this time around, because I don't feel like gambling on getting all the necessary components separately.
It will probably be very difficult to get a good MB on launch.

At least Asus has DDR4 Motherboards DDR5 might not even make much of a difference for games.

is any sense to change from 10850K to 12900K?games only

It'll almost certainly be faster, but we won't know by how much until official reviews are out. I have a 10900K and I'm thinking to pass probably, at least for Alder Lake, but it's fun to see cool new tech come out.

Microcenter shows them being available on the 4th. Wonder how fast they'll sell out.
Oh and where are the mobos?

is any sense to change from 10850K to 12900K?games only
Wouldn't expect much difference if you are running 1440p or higher and maxing out graphics settings as you will most likely be GPU limited. Only situation where I would expect i major difference is in MP games when running lowest settings and trying to max out FPS but even the 10850k should get high enough FPS that it doesn't make a massive difference.

Looking forward to seeing the numbers from alder lake though. We need 2 companies pushing each other so they can't get lazy.

It will probably be very difficult to get a good MB on launch.
Went and ordered through AvaDirect. They didn't have exactly what I was looking for on their site, but then again, none of the prebuilds did. I called, and they worked with me, allowing to get more RAM in, and not include a video card. Other than that though, they had every piece I was looking to include.

i9-12900K
MSI MEG Z690 Ace
64 GB Kingston DDR5 (5200)
2x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro
be quiet! 360mm AIO
Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL (Never used a Fractal Design before, but this is one area they were short)
1600W EVGA (I have 2 3090s I'll be including myself, wasn't sure how much power I needed).

Yeah, it's more expensive than a self build, but surprisingly, without the video card included, it was much cheaper than every other prebuild company I looked at, all of which required a video card.

It's going to be 2-3 weeks after release before I receive it, but this is good enough for what I'm after.

Went and ordered through AvaDirect. They didn't have exactly what I was looking for on their site, but then again, none of the prebuilds did. I called, and they worked with me, allowing to get more RAM in, and not include a video card. Other than that though, they had every piece I was looking to include.

i9-12900K
MSI MEG Z690 Ace
64 GB Kingston DDR5 (5200)
2x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro
be quiet! 360mm AIO
Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL (Never used a Fractal Design before, but this is one area they were short)
1600W EVGA (I have 2 3090s I'll be including myself, wasn't sure how much power I needed).

Yeah, it's more expensive than a self build, but surprisingly, without the video card included, it was much cheaper than every other prebuild company I looked at, all of which required a video card.

It's going to be 2-3 weeks after release before I receive it, but this is good enough for what I'm after.
Any particular reason you ordered this before we even get some solid reviews?

Any particular reason you ordered this before we even get some solid reviews?
Worst case scenario, I can pass it off to my nephew. (He's still running with a Core 2 Duo).

But I mainly figure I know what to expect from it. So, if I wanted to get this in by Christmas, I'd probably have to order everything soon.

Preorders Sold out I9 street price is
1k-1.2k but other less models you can still preorder.

Screenshot_20211028-222014_eBay.jpg

I received my 12900k from Newegg today and will pick up DDR5 from Bestbuy Sunday but no mobo until probably the 5th.

Noctua NH-U12A,​

Which will have a updated bracket on the 4th or 5th
but I don't think I'll upgrade.

I was going to use my Corsair liquid CPU cooler but their LGA 1700 conversion kit has been out of stock so I ordered a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black. I just hope it fits next to my RTX 3090. Looks like it would be a tight squeeze. I got a cheap motherboard, the GIGABYTE Z690 UD AX DDR4 since DDR5 is expensive right now and most of the good motherboards were sold out at the time of purchase. I pre-ordered the 12900K so it should be a large upgrade from my 8700k. Everything was an impulse buy because I thought their would be a high demand. I really don't see much comments about Alder Lake on various forums, reddit, or on the Nowinstock website. There seemed to be way more interest when Zen 3 came out. Not much love for Intel anymore?

You can see it’s compatibility with every LGA 1700 motherboard on Noctuas site. If it’s incompatible they will list why like “interferes with first PCIE slot.”

A ton of Asus boards are incompatible this time around even with a U12A because of VRM cooler/shroud height.

A ton of Asus boards are incompatible this time around even with a U12A because of VRM cooler/shroud height.
There are three ATX and one ITX Asus Z690 boards that won't work with the U12A, which has me wondering about other similarly sized non Noctua coolers. The other board which won't work with some of Noctua's larger coolers is the Maximus Z690 Formula, but that isn't really meant for air cooling.

Edit - Potenitally four ATX with the uncertainty of the ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi

https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-U12A-8/motherboards/ASUS?q=z690

Last edited:
What cooler are you guys using?
I intend to use an EK 240mm AIO on a 12700k in an ITX setup. But EK hasn't yet announced conversion kits for the mounts.

I have a BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF 2 on hand----and BeQuiet announced they will have conversion kits. However, you can't order them until Alder Lake release day. And with the way the mail is right now....who knows when I will get it...

cooler brands should have had conversion kits available at least a month ago.

I despise the current trend of lifting the embargo on the same day that the products go on sale. You either pre-order, or miss out on getting the item for who knows how long.

My planned 5800X system is still not together so I am curious to see what the 12700K offers and how it pairs with DDR4. The 12900K is tempting me to just go for broke, perhaps literally, but it's too much for what I do. Plus, will a D15 even cool it?

I despise the current trend of lifting the embargo on the same day that the products go on sale. You either pre-order, or miss out on getting the item for who knows how long.

My planned 5800X system is still not together so I am curious to see what the 12700K offers and how it pairs with DDR4. The 12900K is tempting me to just go for broke, perhaps literally, but it's too much for what I do. Plus, will a D15 even cool it?

are there even gonna be any ddr4 mobos for the initial roll out?

not paying a dollar over 289 for i5k
I bet newegg only offers them for that price on day one, through the shuffle.

its pretty interesting that not a single site is offering them for Intel's stated pricing.

I bet newegg only offers them for that price on day one, through the shuffle.

its pretty interesting that not a single site is offering them for Intel's stated pricing.
That's the price for buying them per 100x. It's natural that there's going to be some markup.

Back