AirJet cooling on SSD claims 200km/hr. air on the drive

Sounds way cool, but so do many, many new product announcements, at CES and other venues. Been through a few companies with way cool products, but not surprisingly, I'm not working there any longer. And the "there" is also no longer there.

However, if it does work, it's going to upend water cooling products in general, after some passage of time of course. Maybe when NVidia releases the 7000 series GPUs that replaces the 6000 series GPUs, that replaces the 5000 series GPUs.

I absolutely agree these video card are getting too thick. It's absurd that 1 video card will takes up 3 to 4 slot and block everything. If there is a video card that you can use for bicep curl, something is seriously wrong. Then there is the electricity being used, it's insane

200km/h is fast, but going through such a small device, the actual air volume (and thus, thermal mass) moved will be low. 25% of 80 cubic feet is still 20 cubic feet. Whereas 100% of 10 cubic feet is still 10 cubic feet.

Where this will make a huge difference, however, is on small chips in places where you can't have a large heat spreader/fin stack, and can't take advantage of even 25% of the case airflow you have. You can take very dense heat and rapidly expand it into the air, where it can be mixed with cooler moving air and expelled from the case.

Still, even in that scenario, it will have an upper limit to what it can cool simply due to the limited volume of air it can flow across a surface. A good alu/copper heatspreader in a cool environment will give it a run for its money, even without fans.

they didn't say how much it is. As In Win has that portable fan you can mount anywhere, if you have all your NVMe at 1 spot, then 1 of those In Win fan would worth the money. But I don't think you can get more than 2 NVMe add on card, w/ ea. card c/w 1 x NVMe drive.

they didn't say how much it is.
Which is why I made the point I did. Usually, if they're omitting information, it doesn't look good (at least first glance). It leaves a poor initial impression of the product, even when the product would still be good in certain circumstances. If it even did as good as 25% of the volume of a standard case fan, they would likely have used that instead of or in addition to the velocity, because you can still make that sound good ("considering the size of the device"). But they didn't...

Another concern I have that I hadn't thought of till now is clogging. If it is prone to clogging by dust or oils, then it will have to be used in places where end users don't touch the device directly, and possibly in clean rooms. That would significantly limit their customer base, although those who are still interested would likely pay a lot more.

Back