AIO and 5950x temps

I just swapped out my 5 5600x for a 9 5950x. I have the Corsair H100i elite cappellix AIO which is keeping my CPU at 47c at idle and 75c under stress test using Ryzen Master Auto Boost. Do you think this AIO is sufficient or should I go up to the H150i elite cappelix which is a 360 AIO over the H100i which is a 240.

Thanks
Bill

I used both a 240mm AIO and a 360mm AIO on my 5950x. The biggest difference is the noise of the fans. I think your 75C is pretty good for a 240mm unit.

Reactions: MrC4
like this
I have the 150i elite on my 5900x and it stays under 75 under load. So I’d say yours is doing well. You most likely wouldn’t see much of a difference

I think kirbyrj is right - unless the only reason is to reduce noise (which going to 360 also means 3 fans and may not actually do anything for noise), your temps are perfectly fine as is.

Use it for a while and see if that's the case. You can always swap out coolers down the road. I know I started with a Corsair H50 then H100 then my current EIsbear (sp?) which is a 360.

What is full load specifically?
It's hard to stay under 80C on a 5950X part AND be (near silent) quiet!

Your temps look good. Are those normalized temperatures or just quick test? I wouldn't worry until it got into the 90s, since the only issues you'll get in the 80s are from more aggressive boost throttling which isn't the same as normal thermal limit throttling and shouldn't introduce odd anomalies (stuttering).

7nm nodes are going to run hot due to thermal density. Better cooling definitely helps boost performance, but unless your use-case requires long-duration all-core load performance, you'll be more than fine where you're at.

That sounds pretty high for idle, my 5900x runs at 32C at idle and 68C full load with PBO and CO. How’s your cold plate mounting pressure? And did you use the paste the cooler came with?

That sounds pretty high for idle, my 5900x runs at 32C at idle and 68C full load with PBO and CO. How’s your cold plate mounting pressure? And did you use the paste the cooler came with?

My 5950x idles around 40-45C depending on the temps in the room. And it's dropping the Vcore into the 0.43V range and I have 1 core that isn't "sleep"ing according to Ryzen master.

My 5950x idles around 40-45C depending on the temps in the room. And it's dropping the Vcore into the 0.43V range and I have 1 core that isn't "sleep"ing according to Ryzen master.
May also be due to IHS; a lot of the 5000 series seem to have inconsistent IHS geometry leading to a concave surface. If that's the case, may need to use a more viscous TIM or to lap the IHS (if it's worth it).

May also be due to IHS; a lot of the 5000 series seem to have inconsistent IHS geometry leading to a concave surface. If that's the case, may need to use a more viscous TIM or to lap the IHS (if it's worth it).

I'm not saying that's inaccurate, but wouldn't you also see dramatically higher temperatures under load also? The OP's load temperature was in the 70s which is pretty good IMHO.

I'm not saying that's inaccurate, but wouldn't you also see dramatically higher temperatures under load also? The OP's load temperature was in the 70s which is pretty good IMHO.
Yeah, that's true. It may be background applications/services... I know there have been a lot of idle temperature concerns because of them with ryzen on win 10, but more so concerns about idle temp spikes.

Well apparently, according to Steve at Gamers Nexus, cold plate contact uniformity is actually atrocious for a lot of aio coolers out there. I bought his number 1 pick for aio cold plate uniformity, the ekwb aio’s. Nothing came close to having uniform mounting pressure on the different CPU’s he tested with. He tested all three of the ek’s (the 120, 240, and 360mm aios) and they all were better than the rest of the aio’s he has tested, and you know Steve, he has tested many haha. Maybe that’s why I have such good temps….

Well apparently, according to Steve at Gamers Nexus, cold plate contact uniformity is actually atrocious for a lot of aio coolers out there. I bought his number 1 pick for aio cold plate uniformity, the ekwb aio’s. Nothing came close to having uniform mounting pressure on the different CPU’s he tested with. He tested all three of the ek’s (the 120, 240, and 360mm aios) and they all were better than the rest of the aio’s he has tested, and you know Steve, he has tested many haha. Maybe that’s why I have such good temps….
Yeah, no matter the solution, next time I remount my heatsink I'm going to check it dry with a flashlight and mirror to see how contact looks.

My 5950x on an Arctic Cooling 280mm idles around 28c with an ITX mobo/case. To me, 47c is too high...

My 5950x on an Arctic Cooling 280mm idles around 28c with an ITX mobo/case. To me, 47c is too high...
Idle temps aren't much of a concern, it's the load temps always. I've seen low idle temps like that and as soon as a heavy load is placed on the CPU it spikes to 80 and climbs higher. That's indicative of a problem obviously.

Back