AI powered sharpening

marshac

American Hero
I got a new monitor for Christmas (43" wide) and have been having a hard time finding desktop photos at a high enough resolution. Today it occurred to me to try one of the AI-powered sharpening tools that have started to become available - fairly good results! Below is a close-up of a section of the Space Needle - left is the original photos, the right is sharpened. The difference is quite noticeable on the desktop. Kind of a cool tool to keep in the back pocket if you find something that you like, but isn't quite the right size.

1586112427050.png

I'm assuming 4k resolution? There are tons of websites that are dedicated to various desktop resolutions. (interfacelift being a long time one)
I was downloading 5k wallpapers 5 years ago even though I've only gotten a DCI-4k monitor this past year.

As a side note (and obviously I know you disagree), I prefer the original on the left. Increases in sharpness don't equate to increases in detail, and I prefer the rolled off colors and edges. The left looks like a photograph, the right looks like a rendering, all of the DOF effect from the lensing and character has been removed.

Last edited:
This is really cool--I work at a place where we sometimes use photographs to translate into digital print files, and it'd be really handy to be able to salvage more photo sources that come from lower resolutions. It hadn't even occurred to me that something like this was an option! Which sharpening tool did you use for this?

Old but I have been using Gigapixel since launch, and they have steadily been improving it since that time. Its very inexpensive and gets updated quite a bit.

Back