Affordable 4K Timeline Check

Epos7

Gawd
I built a new computer almost three years ago with what were fairly high end components at the time - i7 5820K etc. I do mostly productivity work, so I bought a Dell P2715Q 4K monitor, which is awesome. I was also interested in some light 4K gaming, but at the time 4K capable cards only existed on the fringe high-end of the range and were far too expensive for a casual gamer like me. I bought a GTX 960 thinking I could wait a couple of years and 4K capable cards would enter the affordable realm ($300-$500).

Well, here we are almost three years later, and that hasn't happened. Thanks in large part to cryptocurrency mining, 4K capable cards are no cheaper, and in some cases are more expensive, than they were three years ago. This is not the future I predicted.

I haven't been following the industry closely enough to get a feel for when that may change. I see Nvidia may be releasing new cards later this summer. Are we likely to see graphics cards return to normal, reasonable prices within the next six months, or are the new high prices here to stay?

Nobody knows what prices to expect, but it's reasonable to think they will be on par with the last generation.

No affordable 4K cards on the horizon, at least this next gen. The 1080ti can't drive 4k ultra, and the pattern is that the 1180 should come in at about the same performance, plus or minus. Means you have to wait for at least the 12 series if not later.

If you're willing to lower settings then the 1180 is probably your best bet.

I built a new computer almost three years ago with what were fairly high end components at the time - i7 5820K etc. I do mostly productivity work, so I bought a Dell P2715Q 4K monitor, which is awesome. I was also interested in some light 4K gaming, but at the time 4K capable cards only existed on the fringe high-end of the range and were far too expensive for a casual gamer like me. I bought a GTX 960 thinking I could wait a couple of years and 4K capable cards would enter the affordable realm ($300-$500).

Well, here we are almost three years later, and that hasn't happened. Thanks in large part to cryptocurrency mining, 4K capable cards are no cheaper, and in some cases are more expensive, than they were three years ago. This is not the future I predicted.

I haven't been following the industry closely enough to get a feel for when that may change. I see Nvidia may be releasing new cards later this summer. Are we likely to see graphics cards return to normal, reasonable prices within the next six months, or are the new high prices here to stay?
It isn't easy but I've gotten to enjoyable 4K. I'm hoping the next gen or two gets us there in most titles.

Back