Advice Request: High quality cans for movies/gaming ($200'ish)

Spartacus09

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a generic turtle beach wireless headset previously and had to fall back on a pair of earbuds after they crapped out on me.
So I'm back to being used to wired again, however I think the earbuds are destroying my ears and giving me severe tinnitus.

I game daily but have a blue yeti for mic, my time is split watching movies as well with as some music listening on the side.
I want to run headlong into the entry area of audiophile headsets without breaking the bank too much.
I've been looking around the various threads/research and between planar magnetic, open/closed styles, and the requirements for an amp/not etc. I'm a bit unsure if I'm getting a deal or ripped off.

I've seen the multitude of massdrop HE/HD models and the 4XX recommendations definitely peaked my interest.
I'm budgeting around $200'ish being open to more if a quality amp is needed/recommended.

I would prefer the aren't audible from 10ft+ away and last 4-5 years so at minimum likely replaceable ear pads (which I assume many have), I would use them 5-6 hours a day so comfort for that timeframe is a must as well.

Anyone have any good guide reads and recommendations for entry level and/or the mid/high end range that fits in the budget?

If comfort is a big deal, you might want to go into a local audio store to try them out before making a decision. Every headphone is different, some have consistent caliper pressure/clamping force, some vary based on how far the headphone have stretched, and everyone's head size and shape is different.

Generally there's the "wing" design (Audio-Technica), the "strap design" which you see with Hifiman and Audeze, and the traditional headband like Sennheiser, which all sit differently on the head (some where the weight of the headphone is on the headband/strap, and others where all the weight is carried by the caliper pressure on the earpads) and have different pros and cons. The Audio-Technica AD1000X, Hifiman HE400i, and Sennheiser HD600/6XX are quality headphones of each of these types in your price range.

Most open-back headphones aren't that audible from more than a few feet away, but your mileage is going to vary based on listening level. If you generally listen at high volume levels, then stick with a closed-back headphone, but the trade-off is sound quality is generally worse.

Last edited:
Thanks pip, I probably put too much emphasis on the comfort it should more reflect 5-6 hours is the max I generally wear them.
I'll definitely take a look at some local shops to at least try the different band styles though, I know I have a guitar center nearby that has some of the AD700x that I might be able to try (at least for the feel of it since thats the same style as the 1000x).
As long as it fits over my ears and not on them I think any will be fine overall.

My office can be a bit noisy at times too, would the open ear design affect that? or another reason to lean towards closed?

I lean towards the Hifiman series so I can allocate some cost towards an amp/dac, any suggestion on a combo dac+amp?

Last edited:
I'm looking heavily at the SMSL M3 USB DAC/Amp, seems like a reasonably priced starter and should drive the 400i's fine.

Back