Advice On Mining Raptoreum New Algorithm

Lorne45

n00b
A friend recently turned me on to a Crypto project coming in the next few months called Raptoreum (https://raptoreum.com).

I have mined a few others with a single 1080ti but I want to build out a mining rig for this project. I am not sure though what to expect as it has a new algorithm that uses x16r and CNv 1 through 8. I have no idea what to expect should I be building a CPU monster with Ryzen or more for GPU?

I am starting to think just go with a beefy CPU like the upcoming Ryzen and 8 GPU, still have not decided on AMD or NVIDIA.

I would not buy any brand new retail cards for mining at this point. Get some used 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB, and go with that, if you intend to start mining full time, but it's no longer such a good idea at this point, unless BTC goes to over $10k, or ETH goes to $200+.

if its a cpu minable coin the xeons phis may be the best that can be had. does it have the mining software on linux?

If it's worth mining at this point, there most certainly is a private FPGA bitstream on it. With progressively cheaper boards coming available, not sure I would suggest GPUs to anyone on a go-forward basis absent killer deals and cheap electric.

If it's worth mining at this point, there most certainly is a private FPGA bitstream on it. With progressively cheaper boards coming available, not sure I would suggest GPUs to anyone on a go-forward basis absent killer deals and cheap electric.
I would not suggest FPGAs either, as you can become the slave to the programmer who writes the bitstream code for whatever algo you want to mine. It seems to be a kind of a scam deal. I would not touch it, nor would I suggest to anyone to try.

(Especially with this latest SQRLmining, Acorns and all other bullshit fiasco, no freaking way, no how, no sir. Good thing I didn't have any money in this crap.)

I guess it boils down not if an algo can block fpga but even better make it cost prohibitive. From what I have seen on Raptoreums Discord is that it would take 5-6 chained together to run it so that is a hell of a jump in cost.

I would not suggest FPGAs either, as you can become the slave to the programmer who writes the bitstream code for whatever algo you want to mine. It seems to be a kind of a scam deal. I would not touch it, nor would I suggest to anyone to try.

(Especially with this latest SQRLmining, Acorns and all other bullshit fiasco, no freaking way, no how, no sir. Good thing I didn't have any money in this crap.)

I would not bother with FPGA at all as I only want to mine coins where I can do so without FPGA and ASIC hitting them or if they do the project does what is needed to kill them, and quickly.

I guess it boils down not if an algo can block fpga but even better make it cost prohibitive. From what I have seen on Raptoreums Discord is that it would take 5-6 chained together to run it so that is a hell of a jump in cost.

I would not bother with FPGA at all as I only want to mine coins where I can do so without FPGA and ASIC hitting them or if they do the project does what is needed to kill them, and quickly.

You don't understand... you can't block FPGAs. If it's profitable (and worthwhile) to write a bitstream, a dev will and mine it privately.

You don't understand... you can't block FPGAs. If it's profitable (and worthwhile) to write a bitstream, a dev will and mine it privately.

It is not just about bitstream. Due to where and how fpga store their bitstream space the available space is very small and easily exhausted. Raptoreum targets that which makes it very expensive to try and mine it with fpga, apparently they are also working on a way to dump fpga and asic on the fly (no fork needed) which would require a new bitstream each time, again hardly worth it especially considering the entry cost. Raptoreum is not trying to block but instead making it to expensive and to much work to have them on the network.

These things together I do not see fpga guys tackling it even if the coin becomes popular.

FPGA's have become more prevalent and have thus provided a way for technologically superior, but smaller, operations to centralize profit of the smaller coins. The FPGA is to smaller coins what ASICS are to larger coins - they basically blow out any and all smaller CPU/GPU miners. The PoW algorithms haven't caught up to this new challenge but maybe will by the end of the year. Either way, mining on 'normal' hardware of any kind just isn't worth it because there is ***always*** going to be a force out there that seeks to centralize profits unto themselves that is both technologically and financially superior to you (unless you happen to be one of them). I know this was one of the key missions of crypto, generally, to decentralize the mining/earning process but it just isn't really possible at this point. Even if BTC goes to $10k CPU/GPU mining won't be particularly profitable

This is just how the world works - people are generally not altruistic.

It is not just about bitstream. Due to where and how fpga store their bitstream space the available space is very small and easily exhausted. Raptoreum targets that which makes it very expensive to try and mine it with fpga, apparently they are also working on a way to dump fpga and asic on the fly (no fork needed) which would require a new bitstream each time, again hardly worth it especially considering the entry cost. Raptoreum is not trying to block but instead making it to expensive and to much work to have them on the network.

These things together I do not see fpga guys tackling it even if the coin becomes popular.

You do realize the better FPGA boards have slots for DDR4 memory, right? Memory space is hardly a consideration...

Lorne45 The above comments are what they are. You will have ASICs, FPGAs, GPUs, CPUs .. anything that can mine will mine. Is what it is.

My advice: go with GPUs.

Now: about the actual algorithm.

Here is a good read about 'Ghostrider'.

The short one is fairly straightforward, if you are familiar with crypto and how coins are mined etc; “It’s a collection of algorithms, the x16r and CryptoNight families, cycled in random and not so random patterns used to gain consensus on the on chain generation and transaction of coins.”

Nvidia owns X16R. AMD owns CN. AMD CPUs own CN.

Go w/ an AMD board/CPU. I have run in the past 7 GPU on an Asrock X370 Taichi / Ryzen 1700X setup.

Go w/ Nvidia on the GPU. AMD is not competent in X16R, and X16R stuff is much more profitable than anything CN (gpu) right now.

Better advice is just spend that 2k on coins instead of a mining rig. Pretty much all of these projects though are complete trash, and people are starting to realize it. You might get lucky like end of 2017 again... but chances are slim.(maybe just spend 2k on lotto tickets?)

Back