Advice Cooling Graphics Card (passive heatsink only)

Neapolitan6th

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought a used HPC card off ebay for a decent price.

Only problem is it doesn't come with a shroud and is completely passive. Pictures:
Screenshot_20210929-161121(1).png

Screenshot_20210929-161134(1).png

Any recommendations for cooling this properly in a non-server case would be much appreciated.

I am sure I will have to duct it to a fan in some manner, but i do not have a 3D printer which would have been ideal.

I am curious if I can get away with a noctua industrial high RPM fan or if I will have to use those extremely noisy fans you see in data centers.

I'm ok if its not a pretty solution as long as it is functional. Thanks!!

Last edited:
What card is it? I frequently just used HVAC tape to duct a 80mm fan down into the heatsink. It holds up pretty well. Also the mounting pattern for firepros can resemble consumer cards. ive had luck mounting a heatsink to keep the cards relatively quiet.

Pics of fan setup minus HVAC tape.

Attachments

• 483139_20210804_114642.jpg
    483139_20210804_114642.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 1
LWhat card is it? I frequently just used HVAC tape to duct a 80mm fan down into the heatsink. It holds up pretty well. Also the mounting pattern for firepros can resemble consumer cards. ive had luck mounting a heatsink to keep the cards relatively quiet.

Pics of fan setup minus HVAC tape.
Firepro S9300x2 (basicly radeon pro duo Fiji HMB 4x2) Its a dual GPU card so mounting a 3rd party cooler would be pretty difficult.

300 Watt TDP may be the fun part. HVAC tape is a great idea though! That may just do the trick!

Last edited:
Alternatively, a blower fan and some heat resistant plastic could be used. Just have to bend the plastic into a u shape and put it over the end of the fan and card. Then cover and seal the sides so air doesn't escape. Cardboard (not corrugated) would also work, but that's more likely to collect dust and moisture.

Firepro S9300x2 (basicly radeon pro duo Fiji HMB 4x2) Its a dual GPU card so mounting a 3rd party cooler would be pretty difficult.

300 Watt TDP may be the fun part. HVAC tape is a great idea though! That may just do the trick!
I ran a handful of amd s10000s (dual 7970 300w tdp) I was able to cool them with a high cfm 80mm server fan and tape. Better yet I placed 4 right next to each other and just ducted two 120mm server fans.

With that said it will be loud regardless. The dual GPU cards need a decent amount of airflow. Maybe a push/pull setup with two good consumer fans would work.

I ran a handful of amd s10000s (dual 7970 300w tdp) I was able to cool them with a high cfm 80mm server fan and tape. Better yet I placed 4 right next to each other and just ducted two 120mm server fans.

With that said it will be loud regardless. The dual GPU cards need a decent amount of airflow. Maybe a push/pull setup with two good consumer fans would work.
Going to try ducting a 3000rpm 120mm noctua industrial series fan and see if that'll do the trick. Undervolting as needed too. If that's not enough, I'll bite the bullet and get some proper high cfm server fans. Will try and update the thread with how it went when I get the orders in.

Going to try ducting a 3000rpm 120mm noctua industrial series fan and see if that'll do the trick. Undervolting as needed too. If that's not enough, I'll bite the bullet and get some proper high cfm server fans. Will try and update the thread with how it went when I get the orders in.
Maybe even try undervolt+overclock. Those dual chip firepros normally have some extra headroom.

progress ??

I hate seeing a fan pressed right to the heatsink fins, give the thing some room to breath, for Bernoullies sake !

Back