Adventures in 2700X Overclocking

Check out this video on 2700X and B450 VRM testing. VRM test.
I did, do you think that my vrm is throttle and overheating? I don't really know, I don't have that temperature, but I do have a MBO temperature and it is never too high.

I don't really want to change the motherboard, then I will change both the motherboard and the processor and switch to Intel.Then I would probably go to 11400f.

Could not find vrm testing of your motherboard specifically but I suspect that is the problem. Do you have access to a thermal imaging camera or temp test gun like the ones used in automotive testing devices? Like these.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Could not find vrm testing of your motherboard specifically but I suspect that is the problem. Do you have access to a thermal imaging camera or temp test gun like the ones used in automotive testing devices? Like these.
Could probably get some somewhere...
I say, now that I'm running on a manual oc, 4050MHz, the processor doesn't heat up too much during gaming, when prime95 is started, it goes to 85 and above and starts throttling, but in that short time, let's say prime95 didn't crash or throw an error...

73 degrees Celsius Tctl during a virus scan with two programs, in the game I think it is even lower, there is no thermal throttling for these sensors that I have...
It pulls up to 123W, but I think that when fully loaded it does not go over 150W...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This review shows your board having vrm temp problems with your cpu under heavy loads. You could try adding a fan directly over vrm area and see if it helps.

Last edited:
SMT off may help and take some load off. I'm unfamiliar with asrock bios. I bet the setting is there if you look intently.

Now I'm overclocked to 4GHz and somehow I got confused or I don't know what, maybe I clicked wrong and set the offset voltage, and it automatically set it to -50mV...so I'm left with the offset voltage and auto, and now I'm testing with prime95 when the voltage does not move even a little, and before it always increased more than what I set in the bios.
For example, for 4050MHz, I put 1.29V in bios and in hw info it increases to 1.35V, so now absolutely nothing(with that offset voltage set to -50mV), the voltage is cemented.

WTF is offset voltage, is it better than fixed voltage? This way at first it seems to me that it is better than fixed voltage on my crap mbo.
In order to understand all that, you obviously need a good school and a good teacher.

So I set 4GHz and 1.25V vcore voltage and the offset voltage was automatically set to -50mV.
I ran the prime95 smallest test for about 20 minutes and it passed and the voltage remained cemented in the hw info program at 1.250V.
What does that mean now, can someone explain it to me?
Before, I used fixed voltage and the voltage could rise regularly.

My memory won't work anymore at 2933MHz, it enters windows and soon or a little later the mouse cursor just freezes and that's it, nothing helps anymore except shutting down or restarting.
Now I set it to 2666MHz and it works so far, but I haven't tested it properly yet.
Is the motherboard gone or the processor? I probably have to advertise, my warranty still lasts on everything.

I thought it was the drivers, sfc/scannow keeps telling me that I have corrupt items that it cannot fix (sfc scannow found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them).
I restored the older bios from the motherboard, older GPU drivers, deleted all programs, etc., but nothing helps, the memory no longer wants to work at 2933MHz or less, it only works on default settings.

I don't know if this 2666MHz is now stable for me or not, but when I put more, it immediately freezes when I enter windows.And without any bsod or any kind of error.

Last edited:
I played at 2666MHz and automatic and it worked without crashing, the only thing is that some jerks happen in rdr2 (that's all I play), I overclocked the graphics rtx 3060 even more and now I have about 3fps higher avg fps.

By the way, I have already crossed the motherboard and the processor(but it turns out that they probably haven't died yet) and started looking at what to buy from Intel, it somehow seems to me that i3 12100f and b660 are an ok purchase?

So asrock b660m phantom gaming 4 motherboard and intel 12100f processor i can buy here in eu for about 250 usd at least.

I went back to the older bios and older drivers, but I don't think the problem was in that or in the programs that I unnecessarily deleted, it's about something else, before my computer was stable with 2933MHz ram and I could play rdr2, but now I can't anymore except at 2666MHz
I have not tried manual OC.It's possible that Microsoft did something on my computer.
slikaNobody cares.jpg

Last edited:
It seems that I solved why my memory did not work at more than 2667MHz, now I removed the USB external disk, only the nvme main and sata disk remained and now it works at 2933MHz.
Obviously, when that external usb disk is connected, the memory cannot work at more than 2667MHz.
I don't know why that is so.

[H]ard to believe the 2700x will be at 5 year release point in the upcoming month of April.
What will be on sale again in 2023? Will brand new copies of the ryzen 2700x processor be produced again?
I was thinking of buying a new ryzen 5600 and that's only because of the memory, because it was declared for me at 3200MHZ, but if my ram now works at 2933MHz stably, then I won't buy anything.
Now it works on 2933MHz 16-21-21-49-70-514
By the way, the factory default is 3200MHz, 16-18-18-36, would it work like that if I had a ryzen 5600 inside?

Just came across this thread and will work on catching up more thoroughly but based on a few posts I've read, does no one have much luck getting RAM to work at higher frequencies? I've had 2 kits (a 16gb Trident Z kit and now a 32gb Corsair kit) both running with no issues at 3400mhz. The Corsair kit is technically a 3600 kit but the PC won't boot with it set at that speed. CPU has all limiting factors raised to max but no real manual all core OC's. Usually get about 4.1 all core during benchmarks under a 360mm Corsair AIO.

Just came across this thread and will work on catching up more thoroughly but based on a few posts I've read, does no one have much luck getting RAM to work at higher frequencies? I've had 2 kits (a 16gb Trident Z kit and now a 32gb Corsair kit) both running with no issues at 3400mhz. The Corsair kit is technically a 3600 kit but the PC won't boot with it set at that speed. CPU has all limiting factors raised to max but no real manual all core OC's. Usually get about 4.1 all core during benchmarks under a 360mm Corsair AIO.
It also depends on what the motherboard is like, I can't expect a processor with 105W tdp to work great on a social board.
But, regardless of the board, the memory of the ryzen 2700x is limited to 2933MHz according to the specifications.
everything can be seen in this table:
4xPR_2933-2133.png

https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#Specification

I'm just reading the news that 31 vulnerabilities were discovered for Ryzen processors, both desktop and mobile the most.

And the ryzen 2000 desktop series is especially affected, obviously amd is forcing users like me to throw away the old ryzen processors.
Looks like I'll have to buy a ryzen 5600 or 5600x and throw away the ryzen 2700x...

No mention of whether this affects performance or not.

Now we are waiting for partners to release new bios.

This is apparently from the amd site:
https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/product-security/bulletin/amd-sb-1031

I'm just reading the news that 31 vulnerabilities were discovered for Ryzen processors, both desktop and mobile the most.

And the ryzen 2000 desktop series is especially affected, obviously amd is forcing users like me to throw away the old ryzen processors.
Looks like I'll have to buy a ryzen 5600 or 5600x and throw away the ryzen 2700x...

Throw away?----I think you are over reacting.

Go ahead and look at the amount of Intel vulnerabilities which were also found ;)

Thanks for the heads up on these.
It looks like there will be new firmware versions for the Ryzen 2000 desktop series CPUs, so no need to throw them out.

Go ahead and look at the amount of Intel vulnerabilities which were also found ;)
Agreed.
There were over 80 hardware vulnerabilities in the last half-decade for Intel CPUs, and so many of those were massive performance hits for the 6th and 7th gen CPUs especially.

Go ahead and look at the amount of Intel vulnerabilities which were also foun

no, unfortunately, I can only keep the ryzen 2700x as a key chain, nobody will buy it from me here, but that's why I'm not saving it, neither the processor nor the motherboard, it's overclocked again to 4050MHz,so which one of the two dies first...

As far as I know, amd has already released new AGESA and sent them to partners for motherboards, new bios for mbo are awaited, now it's up to mbo manufacturers...

One question, which cpu test is consistent in terms of numbers and is free to use?
Maybe cinebench or?
Namely, I would try the performance before the new bios and when the new bios comes, so that I can compare whether they killed his performance.
By the way, it's been a week, but the new bios for my motherboard hasn't landed yet.

Usually, when these security flaws are corrected, quite bad processor performance is killed, and this is the easiest way to force users to buy a newer processor. Also, through unoptimized games, people are forced to buy more and more expensive graphics cards.
Not to mention that it takes a couple of years for the games to be patched so that they run normally and better.
I cry a little but I have no other choice.

New bios for my mbo still hasn't come out, considering the flaws they found, whether it is patched through windows, through chipset drivers, through bios or something else, I have no idea

Just ran cinebench R23.200, ryzen 2700x at 4GHz, core + soc power 142.924W and temperature Tctl 92.1 celsius
cpu package power 147.975W maximum

And what were your SC & MC scores?
I will put it but the speed varies a lot when it is on auto, now I put it on manual oc again.
Again i sometimes have problems with bsod.
Now it's hot and the cpu heats up and the gpu even more.
I keep putting it off but i will have to buy a ryzen 5600....

It behaves very strangely, a few weeks ago I had below 10000 both on auto and on 4ghz oc, and yesterday, for example, suddenly multi score 10300 on 4ghz oc

Last edited:
Look here, I have a higher result on 4GHz than on 4050MHz and there is one result left on the auto settings of the processor

Screenshot (20).pngScreenshot (21).png

https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#BIOS1

I received a new bios, but it doesn't bring anything new for my processor, only new agesa.I upgraded the new bios but as far as I can see everything is the same.
Asrock started to lag a bit, I see that Asus and Gigabyte released new agesa a long time ago, and Gigabyte also introduced some security fixes in the bios.

Would the ryzen 5600 be an upgrade from the 2700x? What do you think? Would it get less load on vrm and motherboard or would everything remain the same?
Now with the memory I can't go above 2933MHz (32gb).Would my memory with the ryzen 5600 work at 3200MHz (otherwise it is declared at that much)?

Anyone know why PBO doesn't work with the 2700x on my b350 board? Bios is latest but there is no option and ryzen master doesn't work either

Anyone know why PBO doesn't work with the 2700x on my b350 board? Bios is latest but there is no option and ryzen master doesn't work either
Go back to older bios if it doesn't work at all, but it should work, put all the bios settings on the auto (the same as PBO, it's a little harder to find it in the bios, but it should exist)
For me, the manual OC at 4GHz turned out to be the best, that's the best sweet spot.
Turn off all savings (both in bios and in windows, select max performance), turn off absolutely all savings and manually set all cores to 4GHz, for that you need 1.3V processor, or even less, I have it at 1.3V, other voltage settings you can put it on auto

What motherboard do you have?
If the motherboard is weaker and you have a weaker air cooler, then don't overclock

Last edited:
Go back to older bios if it doesn't work at all, but it should work, put all the bios settings on the auto (the same as PBO, it's a little harder to find it in the bios, but it should exist)
For me, the manual OC at 4GHz turned out to be the best, that's the best sweet spot.
Turn off all savings (both in bios and in windows, select max performance), turn off absolutely all savings and manually set all cores to 4GHz, for that you need 1.3V processor, or even less, I have it at 1.3V, other voltage settings you can put it on auto

What motherboard do you have?
If the motherboard is weaker and you have a weaker air cooler, then don't overclock
I have a gigabyte ab-350m-ds3h. I will try your tips, thank you!

I have a gigabyte ab-350m-ds3h. I will try your tips, thank you!
You're welcome, it's a solid board, but since the 2700x is a wasted processor above 4GHz on manual OC, the most important thing is that the motherboard has the best possible voltage regulation,power design.
Let's say mine has a 6 phase power design, 3+3, it is preferable to have 10 phase.
And the best possible air or water cooler for the cpu.

New chipset drivers for b450 have arrived
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

I reduced the memory frequency from 2933MHz to 2666MHz, I don't know what happens at 2933MHz, sometimes my mouse cursor just freezes or some kind of system failure occurs and the computer just freezes without any error or bsod.
Cinebench23 passes at 2933MHz almost every time, sometimes it freezes but again without any error or bsod, I don't know why?
Likewise, in rdr2 everything works great for a while and then all of a sudden it just happens to drop me to the desktop without any error or anything.

Now I reduced the memory from 2933MHz and 1.4V to 2666MHz and 1.35V, I have 32GB of ddr4 3200MHz memory(cl16), so I will see if system crashes will occur even at this speed.

The Ryzen 5600X is on its way, the same as the Pendragon1, maybe it will arrive this week.

Back