adaptive, adaptive with offset, vs auto or offset on 10900k, power save?

markm75

Gawd
I have successfully overclocked my msi unify and 10900k to 5.1 at 1.315v (auto ring, auto everything else and 4000 on ram). Its about 1.301 initially in windows and 1.315 under heavy load.

Ive noticed that with eist on (i think its this) the cpu will lower to 8x while idle, bringing the watts down to like 50 watts in cpuz, so i'd say thats good.

But, is there any advantage to adaptive or offset or adaptive with offset given that?

I think if i were to set adaptive + offset with plus, that would be 1.301 + .014?

Thanks in advance

Appears i think its correct that it draws about 50 watts leaving the voltage set to "auto" for the type (with fixed voltage 1.285 now in my case, under load 1.277 LLC4 and 5.0ghz), i think if i had the right adaptive setting i could bring this down to about 7 watts or less at idle, but probably best to leave as is.

If you want more granular control over the speedstep process, download a program called "QuickCPU." Keljian had a writeup about it somewhere in the Intel section. You can get the idle load down to some 10-15W if you play around with it. I had some stability issues, but I didn't spend as much time tweaking as he did.

Here's the link to the thread:
https://hardforum.com/threads/quick...6xxx-7xxx-8xxx-9xxx-10xxx-processors.1996926/

I may look into that utility, but i think i did find the general answer on how to set the adaptive if i get super greedy and want to trim watts down.

I guess simply going by what the bios is set to, change to adaptive, hit the plus sign and put that value in for the adaptive voltage is all thats needed. Probably retest after that (stress tests) just to be safe.

Note that speedshift and speedstep are really mutually exclusive. Speedstep is the old way of doing things. If you can get speedshift working properly it'll mean lower latencies etc.

As kirbyrj said - I did a big writeup about it all in the aforementioned thread.

Last edited:
Back