A Virus Related Problem BUT Person Has Encrypted HDD? Not cryptolocker!

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
So I get a client bringing in a work laptop yesterday because he says he got a virus on it.

No big deal, easy fix I'm thinking.

I turn on the computer and the first screen has the Symantec Encryption Desktop software right after the bios.

So I enter in his password and the next screen says "No physical memory is available at the location required for the Windows Boot Manager. The system cannot continue."

I'm thinking if I try to fix the mbr or startup I could damage his encrypted file system.

Any ideas?

Well your screwed. Subscribed because I want to keep my mind open to a possible solution.

EDIT: *the user is screwed

I'd recommend you contact Symantec support. You're not going anywhere until you get through that issue.

I've never seen that exact issue, but we use whole disk encryption at my work. When something like this comes up, I have to remove the drive and decrypt it.
We use PGP, and they have a tool that will let you decrypt the drive, you just have to know the password.

I would check Symantec to see if they have software that will let you decrypt the drive using his password.

I just gave the laptop back to him and told him he has to bring it in to his work tech guys. He called me back and his corporations tech guys said he might be screwed too.

I would rather not lose any of his information.

If it didn't have the Symantec encryption it would have been an easy job.

Back