A few questions about BOINC

michalrz

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello good people of [H].

In light of recent events, including my mom's bladder cancer and someone else's problem (you know who) I decided to pull my head out of my ass (did you hear that pop?) and go crazy with folding.

Until now, I only had 1 device folding - a computer at my old job. (i3 @ 3.something GHz)
Right now I've resumed folding on my home computer (Core 2 Duo @ 3.8GHz)
Furthermore, I've just remoted into my work computer (i5 quad core) and launched boinc.
Also, we have a computer at the clinic that acts as a database server, it doesn't really need that much CPU, so it too is now folding for 33.

I have some questions to you guys:
1. any way to hide the WCG client icon from the systray?
2. any way to slightly throttle the amount of CPU cycles used by the client?
3. does BOINC use a noticeable amount of network traffic or is it a neglible amount which won't disrupt normal work?
4. anyone have a few minutes of spare time to teamviewer into my computer and check out if I configured the thing properly?

Before you scold me - the work computers I am 'borging' (?) are bought and paid for (including electricity) by the military, I'm not stealing anyone's private money.
Have a nice Sunday

1. It doesn't matter if it is the military's systems. It is still advisable to get permission from proper channels as it may be considered stealing and/or tampering.
2. Yes you can set BOINC to launch without the BOINCManager going to the task tray. Open BOINC in Advanced View. Click Options. Click Other Options. Uncheck run manager at login. BOINC client and BOINC manager are separate applications. I would recommend however running BOINC as a service (which disables GPU computing) so that a user does not have to be logged in for it to run.
3. Yes you can limit the CPU usage in your preferences. Click Options. Click Computing Preferences. The first tab is Computing. You can limit the number of "CPUs" (cores/threads) or you can limit the amount of time each core/thread actually runs work. I don't recommend that second option because it essentially just pauses the computation for X amount of seconds to give the illusion of less CPU. This will slow down work units and even error some work out as not all applications like constant interruption.
4. Network traffic typically does not interfere with daily operations unless you are supporting a project with large files to transfer and you are downloading a bunch. Or if you are borging an entire data center, it may notice much heavier traffic. But just a few average systems, most likely wont be noticed from a congestion level. Being paid for by the military, they may notice oddball ports being used though.
5. I can normally team viewer, but I would not be comfortable connecting to rigs that are not owned by you.

I would put all CPUs onto World Community Grid or other CPU only BOINC projects. CPUs on F@H just can't get the work done as fast as GPUs do these days.

We are also running a WCG Birthday challenge starting on the 16th that could use all the CPU power we can get.

Thank you both for your responses. I'll reconsider using my work machines. You're right in thinking it's probably iffy at best.
I will let my friends know, though, they're good people so maybe they'll agree to join in.

Hello good people of [H].

In light of recent events, including my mom's bladder cancer and someone else's problem (you know who) I decided to pull my head out of my ass (did you hear that pop?) and go crazy with folding.

Until now, I only had 1 device folding - a computer at my old job. (i3 @ 3.something GHz)
Right now I've resumed folding on my home computer (Core 2 Duo @ 3.8GHz)
Furthermore, I've just remoted into my work computer (i5 quad core) and launched boinc.
Also, we have a computer at the clinic that acts as a database server, it doesn't really need that much CPU, so it too is now folding for 33.

I have some questions to you guys:
1. any way to hide the WCG client icon from the systray?
2. any way to slightly throttle the amount of CPU cycles used by the client?
3. does BOINC use a noticeable amount of network traffic or is it a neglible amount which won't disrupt normal work?
4. anyone have a few minutes of spare time to teamviewer into my computer and check out if I configured the thing properly?

Before you scold me - the work computers I am 'borging' (?) are bought and paid for (including electricity) by the military, I'm not stealing anyone's private money.
Have a nice Sunday

Do not do it. The military does not like that. NOT AT ALL.

I know because I was an Air Force IT guy up until May of this year.

Do not do it. The military does not like that. NOT AT ALL.

I know because I was an Air Force IT guy up until May of this year.

Done and dusted.

Called up my cellular provider if he could tablet me but they said I'd have to wait for 6 months until my contract is over. I'll try my friends, though. One has a machine shop, pretty serious stuff, I don't think he'll mind.

For some reason, this stuff (folding) is a bit addictive :eek:

And I'm really glad you guys are so helpful to other folders. The team spirit is definitely here.

Montu may I ask if you were disciplinary thrown out exactly for that? Folding on fire control computers? :p

Done and dusted.

Called up my cellular provider if he could tablet me but they said I'd have to wait for 6 months until my contract is over. I'll try my friends, though. One has a machine shop, pretty serious stuff, I don't think he'll mind.

For some reason, this stuff (folding) is a bit addictive :eek:

And I'm really glad you guys are so helpful to other folders. The team spirit is definitely here.

Montu may I ask if you were disciplinary thrown out exactly for that? Folding on fire control computers? :p

LOL. No, I retired. I worked with cybersecurity for several years.

LOL. No, I retired. I worked with cybersecurity for several years.

-Squadron leader this is USAF command why the fuck are you circling that cell tower
-Them WUs won't download themselves sir

I have only gotten 1 friend to join in over the years and he only participated with SETI. His box went cold like a year ago, so I'm assuming he gave up interest as he was always super frugal to begin with. Any others that I convinced merely allowed me to borg things here and there. Most of my borgs came in exchange for free labor on their systems. With computers dwindling in the household... so are the borgs... Not to mention all the way up until the end of the P4 era, idling PC's sucked almost the same power as full load PC's. Not so much after that and people take notice of that kind of thing. That used to be a selling poing.

Back