A Beginners Guide To LN2 Benchmarking

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's been a while since anyone has put together a beginners guide to LN2 benchmarking. If you have dreams of becoming a benchmarking badass, this guide should help you get started.

If you are reading this, then maybe you are ready to make the jump into subzero benchmarking or just interested in a simple how to. Subzero benchmarking is where you use LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen), DICE (Dry Ice), Phase change units or even, for those daring enough, LHE (Liquid Helium). The main focus of this guide is to show you what you need to start of on LN2 or DICE. We will look at what is needed and some terminology on CPU and Graphics subzero overclocking and benchmarking.

LN2 benching holds a slight interest to me, but nowhere near enough for me to actually mess around and try it, unless I become fabulously wealthy and no longer need to work. At that point I might decide to take it up as a hobby to keep myself busy..

wonder if you could create a vacuum and stick the device in a freezer with 0 moisture?

or try over clocking on a dessert moon's dark side.

Why don't you just use conformal coat the insulate the board from moisture, that's what it's designed to do? We use Humiseal 1B31 at work for military boards. It glows blue under UV too so would look groovy at an event if you could get some black lights.

Has anyone tried this?

Why don't you just use conformal coat the insulate the board from moisture, that's what it's designed to do? We use Humiseal 1B31 at work for military boards. It glows blue under UV too so would look groovy at an event if you could get some black lights.

Has anyone tried this?

Yes you can use conformal coating :)

I know you can, I'm asking if anyone has or why they don't.

I used to go nuts for this sort of thing.. Then again, I had a source for parts and easy access to LN2. Basically it was "because I could". Then again, I did full immersion fluorinert cooling on one of my home rigs for a while too...

Nowadays, my budget limits me and the performance levels are high enough that I really don't feel the need to destroy decent equipment with the LN2 process anymore just to eke out a cool, but pointless, number any more.

Back