80D replacement

BB Gun

[H]ard|Gawd
Over 800 days since 80D entered service.

Rumors say photokina announcement, and current sales ($200 off body only at BH) would seem to indicate same.

Got the GAS itch.... cheap 80D or "new" 90D.

I like my crop sensor for the weight and the "apparent" extra reach for airshow photography, but I understand it's similar to cropping a higher megapixel full frame image.

(current lens kit is pretty small: 18-135 EFS, 24-105L EF, 100-400L Series 1 dustbuster) lenses are all old and used enough the red ring has fallen off the 24-105.

I had a Tokina 11-16 "pro", but it was total shite, so bad I simply gave it away with an old (8 years old at the time) Rebel body I had to someone who was looking for ANY DSLR to get started. A decent ultrawide for the crop sensor is really the only lens I miss at times.

Just ruminating on the hobby and Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I know there's no real answer outside my own head and preferences.

BB

The other major option is to move up to the 7D2. However, it's also hard to recommend that as it's also getting a little longer in the tooth (it was announced Sept 2014).

EDIT: The 7D2 option is still quite good though. With the used market, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find one well under retail cost.

Last edited:
Back