7950X vs 7950X3D, which one and why?

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
As the title says, which one and why? Considering the normal X's price is down below $600 at MC, whereas the X3D one will still be at $699.99 at launch. Not that I'm going to jump on the bandwagon (cuz I'm broke now), but I just like your opinion. I might jump on the bandwagon after I'm back on my feet.

TIA!

X3D chips look great in benchmarks but in the real world the impact is less noticeable. The extra cache is only impactful for SOME games and so you're paying for a part time upgrade. Further these new chips are only adding the extra cache to one side of the dual chiplette, this means it will be at the mercy of the Windows Task Scheduler to ensure the right chiplette is being used for the app in question, meaning the impact is even more likely to be not noticed in the real world usage scenarios.

Save the money if you need to cores and get the 7950X.

7950x vs 7950x3d should be an easy decision really. Both are capable gaming and productivity cpus, you just pick which aspect you dont want to compromise on. If you want a workhorse first with a side of good gaming performance get the 7950X. If you want top level gaming performance first but still a capable workhorse, then get the X3D.

As the title says, which one and why? Considering the normal X's price is down below $600 at MC, whereas the X3D one will still be at $699.99 at launch. Not that I'm going to jump on the bandwagon (cuz I'm broke now), but I just like your opinion. I might jump on the bandwagon after I'm back on my feet.

TIA!
With your specs, 5800X3d and a new graphics card and call it done! You have an awesome mobo and memory. IMO

7950x vs 7950x3d should be an easy decision really. Both are capable gaming and productivity cpus, you just pick which aspect you dont want to compromise on. If you want a workhorse first with a side of good gaming performance get the 7950X. If you want top level gaming performance first but still a capable workhorse, then get the X3D.
I need a 16-core CPU for the heavy multicore workload that is post production sound in Pro Tools. I also use my computer to game. I’m currently on a 5950X but have a new X670E motherboard ready to drop a CPU into. These reviews are giving me a bit of pause on the 7950X3D due to its high dependence on the Xbox Game Bar for scheduling. Almost feels like a CPU that’s trying to please everyone all the time while pleasing no one, and I’m wondering if I should maybe just go with a regular 7950X.

Almost feels like a CPU that’s trying to please everyone all the time while pleasing no one, and I’m wondering if I should maybe just go with a regular 7950X.

They're awesome CPUs for productivity tasks where you can harness the power of all the cores

After reading/watching a few videos, no longer have any interest in the 7900X3D/7950X3D. If anything, it'll be the 7800X3D.
There is also the 5800X3D (assuming you are on AM4 and not currently running it). It is still holding it's own vs these newer X3D results can be had at fantastic prices.

I had bought a 7950x from Microcenter last month with some EXPO DDR5, but returned it since it's gaming performance wasn't much better than the 5800x3D or 7700x. I am forcing myself to be patient for the 7800x3D. I am building from scratch and not upgrading, so I would rather stick with AM5. I've had a 4080 sitting in the box for a month and a half now. I think this F'd up market we live in now has lead me toward impulse buying, but I should be happy with the 4080. At the time, the 4090's were $800-1,000 more.

I had bought a 7950x from Microcenter last month with some EXPO DDR5, but returned it since it's gaming performance wasn't much better than the 5800x3D or 7700x. I am forcing myself to be patient for the 7800x3D. I am building from scratch and not upgrading, so I would rather stick with AM5. I've had a 4080 sitting in the box for a month and a half now. I think this F'd up market we live in now has lead me toward impulse buying, but I should be happy with the 4080. At the time, the 4090's were $800-1,000 more.
The 7800X3D will be available in April, so it's not much longer to wait for it. Many reviewers are saying the sweetest spot CPU to get is the 7800X3D, so it's actually good to just wait for it.

I need a 16-core CPU for the heavy multicore workload that is post production sound in Pro Tools. I also use my computer to game. I’m currently on a 5950X but have a new X670E motherboard ready to drop a CPU into. These reviews are giving me a bit of pause on the 7950X3D due to its high dependence on the Xbox Game Bar for scheduling. Almost feels like a CPU that’s trying to please everyone all the time while pleasing no one, and I’m wondering if I should maybe just go with a regular 7950X.
From what I've read, if you set ccx preference to the x3d CCD it seems like that reliance on game bar is moot. Then again, your production workloads would suffer.

The way I see it is if you are getting 7950x but play games a lot also, paying extra $100 doesn't seem like a whole lot percentage wise. But it feels like 7800x3d costing $150 more than 7700x is harder pill to swallow if you are on a lower budget but I guess the target audience are purely competitive gamers that don't care about anything other than the best performance.

The X3D is pretty energy efficient closer to 5000 series than 7000 series according to Tom's charts anyway. I like that more than just cranking voltage at the chip for performance.

at the mercy of the Windows Task Scheduler to ensure the right chiplette is being used for the app in question, meaning the impact is even more likely to be not noticed in the real world usage scenarios.
Spam.

It gets it right (should an app use the Vcache CCD, the normal CCD, or the normal CCD but still cross over to the Vcache itself), more often than not. And should improve to near perfection, after a couple more chipset drivers.

Which usage brings in the cash, sound post-production or gaming? I'm betting the former, so I'd stick to a 7950X non-3D. If neither, decide which is more important to you.

I think it's pretty simple, if you're mostly a gamer, you will see benefit from X3D. Otherwise, you will get more out of the non-X3D especially in cases where there are two CCDs.

Time will tell if the 7800X3D, which doesn't suffer from the complexity of managing workloads across cores of differing CCDs, performs similarly to its 7800X counterpart. Most believe that it will be "same or better" across all benchmarks.

Which begs a bigger question, will AMD intentionally "damage" the 7800X3D in order to make it "different" (lesser) from the 7950X3D/7900X3D?

It was easier when there was just "one" X3D option.

The problem with the 7800X3D is they nerfed it. Because they knew the 7950X3D was created with compromise.
How so? Lower Freq? That's par for the course and nothing new there. Binning higher freq chips always goes to the higher part.

Given the micro center combo prices, I’m thinking 7900x is the way to go. I’m guessing the combo deals won’t initially exist for x3d

How so? Lower Freq? That's par for the course and nothing new there. Binning higher freq chips always goes to the higher part.
Yup. But the nerf is even more so than 7950X to 7800X.

Everyone wanted the full flagship X3D and now we have it and it is gonna “cost” the gamer part.

Yup. But the nerf is even more so than 7950X to 7800X.

Everyone wanted the full flagship X3D and now we have it and it is gonna “cost” the gamer part.
Throw around the "nerf" all you want but in reality - it's called "binning". AMD using topped binned chiplets for an exclusive mid-high end gamer part makes no business sense. Everything costs and there are tradeoffs everywhere.. That's life.

Throw around the "nerf" all you want but in reality - it's called "binning". Everything costs and there are tradeoffs everywhere.. That's life.
lol. thanks man for representing the big corporations. we all know what binning is.

lol. thanks man for representing the big corporations. we all know what binning is.
Hehe I'm not representing big corp anything. I like them so much I quit and retired. I get it nurf == binning, just making sure.

Keep in mind the 5800X ran hot compared to the 5900X and 5950X since everything is concentrated into one die instead of two. 3D v-cache is more heat sensitive, so the 5800X3D had lower clocks as a result. Which is why I'm not surprised at all the 7800X3D will have lower clocks, I don't think it was nerfed.

Keep in mind the 5800X ran hot compared to the 5900X and 5950X since everything is concentrated into one die instead of two. 3D v-cache is more heat sensitive, so the 5800X3D had lower clocks as a result. Which is why I'm not surprised at all the 7800X3D will have lower clocks, I don't think it was nerfed.
You reminded me of another post I forgot about (can't remember the user) that the X3D cache chiplet has to run cooler. So yeah "nurfed" :) for technical reasons.

You reminded me of another post I forgot about (can't remember the user) that the X3D cache chiplet has to run cooler. So yeah "nurfed" :) for technical reasons.
I swear I read somewhere it’s clocked even lower than the 7700X (it is, for boost). That’s the whole nerf thing. It’s obvious temps aren’t the issue as the 7950X3D has twice the cores.

I swear I read somewhere it’s clocked even lower than the 7700X (it is, for boost). That’s the whole nerf thing. It’s obvious temps aren’t the issue as the 7950X3D has twice the cores.
So do you think they nerfed the 5800X3D? Because that has lower clocks than the regular 5800X (out of necessity).
Temps can be an issue with single chiplet 8 core parts because they have higher heat density, where as the 2 CCD parts spread the heat out over a wider area, allowing the cooler to do its job better.

So do you think they nerfed the 5800X3D? Because that has lower clocks than the regular 5800X (out of necessity).
Temps can be an issue with single chiplet 8 core parts because they have higher heat density, where as the 2 CCD parts spread the heat out over a wider area, allowing the cooler to do its job better.
I don’t - but your points make sense. I guess I’m on the nerf trip due to the delay.

Well this is why the x3d ccd is slower than the reg ccd. x3d core needs to be cooler.

Back