7950x temperatures

allen5055

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a 7950x and ASUS ROG Hero X670e. I know all the reviews talked about how it runs at 95c all the time under load which seems to be because of the super thick IHS limiting heat dissipation. I was hoping my system would actually run lower because I have two 480mm 60mm thick radiators and an EKWB AM5 Velocity 2 CPU block. However, it does in fact Prime 95 at 96c and it idles in the 40s. I guess the limitation is the IHS, not my cooling setup. I am wondering if I seated the waterblock poorly but the EKWB Velocity 2 design pretty much makes it foolproof to seat it fully, you just max it out and it sits flat.

Seeing as how maximum temperatures are always around 95c, what kind of boost clocks are everyone else getting when doing Prime 95? Prime 95 testing for maximum heat production my boost clocks are only 4800-4900.

My Tmax actually has gone up to 99c so the ASUS PBO curve must be automatically set to let it pass 95c.

It won't run lower since Ryzen 7000 is designed to boost as much as possible while maintaining a set PPT and ~95C target

That said, just tweak the PBO curve (almost any chip should do -10), and set the PPT limit to ~190W for your 7950X,
and you should be well below 95C under max MT load with the same ST/MT performance as stock.

The 7900X in my sig runs at ~74C with (-30 curve, 135W PPT), and has ~2% higher ST/MT performance than stock

I just got a 7950x and ASUS ROG Hero X670e. I know all the reviews talked about how it runs at 95c all the time under load which seems to be because of the super thick IHS limiting heat dissipation. I was hoping my system would actually run lower because I have two 480mm 60mm thick radiators and an EKWB AM5 Velocity 2 CPU block. However, it does in fact Prime 95 at 96c and it idles in the 40s. I guess the limitation is the IHS, not my cooling setup. I am wondering if I seated the waterblock poorly but the EKWB Velocity 2 design pretty much makes it foolproof to seat it fully, you just max it out and it sits flat.

Seeing as how maximum temperatures are always around 95c, what kind of boost clocks are everyone else getting when doing Prime 95? Prime 95 testing for maximum heat production my boost clocks are only 4800-4900.
Its designed to keep pushing until 1. it reaches 95c or 2. it reaches whatever the hard frequency limit is set at. The 7600x is the only one which reaches its frequency limit, before hitting 95c, with average cooling.

Prime95 isn't a great way to test temps or performance. As it is an unrealistically high load, which doesn't act like any actual "work" a CPU would do for you. Prime is only good for stability testing.

Try it in Cinibench or encoding a video in Handbrake. See what your frequencies are. Techpowerup reported 5265mhz all core, in an AVX workload.

I set the pbo curve to - 15 and then set the pbo enhancement to target 80c. I'm kinda confused as to how the curve and the level two target to 80c are different.

I'm also confused by what the difference is between pbo and the Asus ai overclocking.

Brand new to Ryzen myself (upgraded from an OCed 4770K), not sure about ASUS' nomenclature

That said, I did attempt to set an 85C limit (without a PPT limit), which the 7900X obeyed,
but got much better results with just the negative curve + lower PPT limit

Depends on what you're aiming for. My target was stock ST/MT performance, and lower power draw (and temps)

I had to increase the power and current limits on my 7950X before it hit 95 C. Out of the box it was power limited. Prime95 SSE hits 5.4 GHz all-core. Prime95 AVX hits 4.9 GHz all-core. Any kind of undervolting or negative curve optimizer results in crashing at idle so I left the voltage at stock.

I think my 7950x did not win the silicone lottery it crashes at -15 curve, I have it at -10 with a PBO limit to 80c right now.

I'm just kind of annoyed my cooling setup, which was designed to disperse 1500w of GPU mining, can't keep the temperature on this 200w processor down. I believe that is almost entirely due to the 4mm thick IHS limiting heat transfer.

What power plan are you guys using? Balanced, ryzen balanced, or something else?

Yes but balanced or ryzen balanced.
there shouldnt be a "ryzen" labeled one. if you still have it listed, uninstall the chipset drivers(make sure there arent multiple listed) and then reinstall the new ones.

Brand new to Ryzen myself (upgraded from an OCed 4770K), not sure about ASUS' nomenclature

That said, I did attempt to set an 85C limit (without a PPT limit), which the 7900X obeyed,
but got much better results with just the negative curve + lower PPT limit

Depends on what you're aiming for. My target was stock ST/MT performance, and lower power draw (and temps)

I used PPT + Curve optimizer on the 7900x, the results were better than stock performance (boosting to 5.7ghz) and temps around 81-83c max.

I used PPT + Curve optimizer on the 7900x, the results were better than stock performance (boosting to 5.7ghz) and temps around 81-83c max.
Excellent! I could have targeted higher than stock ST/MT performance (higher PPT limit), but was absolutely happy with +1-2% at 138W / 74C
Especially considering that I'm using a small-ish (~21L) case and inexpensive (~$35) HSF

Excellent! I could have targeted higher than stock ST/MT performance (higher PPT limit), but was absolutely happy with +1-2% at 138W / 74C
Especially considering that I'm using a small-ish (~21L) case and inexpensive (~$35) HSF
What settings did you end up using in the end? I used the usual 142000/110000/170000 and I believe I went with -10 on all cores

I ended up doing -14 pbo curve and limiting it to 80c. On -15 pbo curve it crashed but -14 has been Prime95 stable and stable for weeks in regular use.

I just purchased a 7950x and I'm getting 5.7ghz - 6ish on a regular under 85c with the default BIOS settings. Not sure if this is common.

When I moved from a 7700X to a 7900X my temps improved quite a bit (talking 10 degrees plus) - I found that the small tube of Kryonaut wasn’t enough. With the larger tube (designed for multiple applications) I was able to use a tiny bit more and spread it more evenly. So that may be something worth checking. My 7900X doesn’t hit 95 ever with a ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280MM AIO.

EDIT: my 7950X is on a lowly NZXT X63 280MM AIO and it tops out in the low 90s. Granted, my workloads are gaming...not prime95.

7950x_temps.jpg

Last edited:
Back