7900x , 7920x or 8700k for Photoshop, VR vs AMD 2950x, 2700x???

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hello!
So I was set on getting a 2950x for my needs which are first Photoshop editing with many plug ins. Then VR gaming Oculus Rift and lastly some 4k video editing with Premier or Vega. Not to mention gaming seems to always favor Intel.
Then I found a website showing that for Photoshop pretty much all Intels were faster and I started looking at 7900x, 7920x and even the 8700k even though I wanted to jump into the more than 8 cores CPUs (mine is a 6 core [email protected]).
I know Intel lately seems to have a bad rep of price and even power or heat vs AMD but looking at this from an unbiased eye, I dont care what brand it is..I just want the best fit for my needs.
I was an AMD fanboy back in the day until I moved from Phenom 2 to an i7 920 and well, I am STILL using the same platform which pretty darn good performance but you know..upgrade bug is biting me finally. I can use a bit more speed in some Photoshop processes like Portrait Pro and other things.

Thanks!!

I doubt you will be able to tell the difference in Photoshop between the two. That said, Intel still has an IPC advantage over AMD. What AMD gets you now is more cores and a more robust platform for less (or the same) money. That's all. There are situations where one will edge out the other and that has to be taken on an application by application basis.

That said, I'm not supporting Intel's lazy asses in the near future as I hate how they've forced the public into buying $1,000+ processors just to access most of the features provided by X299. I'm also not fond of their curent "Extreme Edition" pricing scheme which places their top CPU in excess of $1,500. Yes, AMD did this as well but the 2990WX is not a gaming part and AMD has made this clear by its name and the marketing materials on that processor. Another egregious offense by Intel is its vROC license key horseshit. I'd rather lose some performance here or there and go with AMD than Intel right now. You can never count Intel out though. When properly motivated out of their apathetic behavior, they have the R&D and expertise to build products that leave AMD in the dust. We saw this with the Core 2 Duo. Intel dominated the market for many years after that and still do in most respects.

Unfortunately, the semi-conductor world doesn't move as fast as we think it does. The development cycles for processors are 3-5 years long. Intel can't simply turn the ship around whenever it wants to. This is why they waited so long to challenge AMD's Athlon 64 as it was stuck making adjustments to its Netburst microarchitecture.

I doubt you will be able to tell the difference in Photoshop between the two. That said, Intel still has an IPC advantage over AMD. What AMD gets you now is more cores and a more robust platform for less (or the same) money. That's all. There are situations where one will edge out the other and that has to be taken on an application by application basis.

That said, I'm not supporting Intel's lazy asses in the near future as I hate how they've forced the public into buying $1,000+ processors just to access most of the features provided by X299. I'm also not fond of their curent "Extreme Edition" pricing scheme which places their top CPU in excess of $1,500. Yes, AMD did this as well but the 2990WX is not a gaming part and AMD has made this clear by its name and the marketing materials on that processor. Another egregious offense by Intel is its vROC license key horseshit. I'd rather lose some performance here or there and go with AMD than Intel right now. You can never count Intel out though. When properly motivated out of their apathetic behavior, they have the R&D and expertise to build products that leave AMD in the dust. We saw this with the Core 2 Duo. Intel dominated the market for many years after that and still do in most respects.

Unfortunately, the semi-conductor world doesn't move as fast as we think it does. The development cycles for processors are 3-5 years long. Intel can't simply turn the ship around whenever it wants to. This is why they waited so long to challenge AMD's Athlon 64 as it was stuck making adjustments to its Netburst microarchitecture.
Interesting to get this from an Intel user. Thanks for your unbiased opinion. This makes me think back to AMD. Funny you mentioned those days of the Athlon 64 as I was running a Tbird back then when the powerful C2D was released and indeed took AMD a long time to compete with that performance jump which is why I finally ended up changing from Phenom 2 to Intel.
Thanks for your comments!

I typically run whatever provides the best performance out there. Most of the last 20 years I've run Intel CPU's, but there have been exceptions to that rule. When AMD dominated performance wise I ran dual Opteron 254's on a Tyan K8WE (S2895). That thing was an absolute monster. Once the Core 2 Duo came out I switched to that and AMD hasn't had anything that made me want to switch back until the Threadripper chips came out. Even so, I wouldn't get much of an upgrade making the switch. Even the Threadripper 2950X isn't much of an upgrade from where I'm at now but I can't help myself. I'll be buying one before too long.

Before you spend $1, know what you need to get your work done.

I've got a 7820x bc there was a 20% eBay deal, I had a ton of ram sitting around, and all of the sudden onprem Kubernetes made building a desktop a priority again. It's been a while since I've had to have a lab box.

I would have stuck with a 7700k if my needs hadn't changed.

Look at addressing your list with a balanced box as your goal.
Creative output isn't all CPU, 4k editing will certainly punish you if your storage tiers aren't solid.

I ended up with a pair of 960 Pros + 500gb 850 Evo os+apps + 1tb 850 evo bulk footage drive using Davinci Resolve. It's fine for desktop captures, if I was using real cam footage storage emphasis would require a raid tier & 2x my nvme capacities at minimum.

Maybe once have I come close to using the 128gb of ram I've got installed. We built a SaaS platform on AWS using some of what I was doing with this box, so the ram has paid for itself. My nvme drives have paid for themselves even though a pair of 500gb Pros was cutting it close. Documentation is turning us all into YouTubers, pre and post sale.

Gpus are a contested area for content. My workflow doesn't currently leverage dual gpus, tried it with a pair of 1070's, so I'm back to a 1080ti. My workflow doesn't warrant more currently. Your workflow should be properly evaluated so as to not over emphasize 1 component area vs another more critical domain.

Back